Victoria's Secret Merchandising Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Victoria's Secret Merchandising Manager Reviews

Updated Sep 26, 2019

3.1
Victoria's Secret CEO Les Wexner (no image)
Les Wexner
  1. "Nice company"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great incentives Flexible hours Good Benefits once your full time

Cons

Conversion counter Shrink assessments that affect all staff

Victoria's Secret2019-01-31
  2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Manhattan, KS

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities to grow with the company. Fair pay. Most of the time you have great coworkers. Paid time off.

Cons

Crazy, long hours. Busiest during weekends and holidays so expect to work a lot. Work/life balance is hard because you have to work a lot and skip holidays with family.

Victoria's Secret2019-09-26
  3. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

benefits, coworkers, discount, pto, dress code

Cons

theft, payroll, long hours, too much responsibility for some roles more than others, poor bonuses

Advice to Management

Continue to work to help each other in their role

Victoria's Secret2019-07-03

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

unlimited overtime- i mean seriously. you can work as much as you want.

Cons

i was expected to work 60-70 hours a week and have absolutely no worklife balance. it might just be the direct management i was under, but this was a horrible working environment for me

Advice to Management

dont force people to stay into their free time and hire more people to handle the workload

Victoria's Secret2019-04-22
  5. "Lots of Stress"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time

Pros

Alot of personal development, great team members

Cons

micromanaging-all-the-time, corporate has no idea which direction to go

Advice to Management

Innovate or die?

Victoria's Secret2019-01-29
  6. "Nope"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager

I have been working at Victoria's Secret full-time

Pros

Employee discount, free clothing, competitive pay

Cons

No work life balance

Advice to Management

Give stores the resources they need to run a successful business and maintain staff happy in turn making your customers experience better

Victoria's Secret2019-01-20
  7. "Merchandise manager"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company benefits, pto, bonus potential.

Cons

No work life balance. Especially being in management.

Victoria's Secret2018-11-27

"Great compensation, just not worth it"

Assistant Manager of Merchandising

I worked at Victoria's Secret for more than a year

Pros

Great compensation, discount and great gratis

Cons

Expected to do more with less Expected to be more of a seller and not a leader Never had time for operational duties as you spent time on the floor as a leader for 2 hour increments. Usually spending 6 hours of leading the floor. And the other 2 hours taking your lunch and being a cashier or in the fitting room

Advice to Management

When your District Manager leads with fear, then you know it’s time to go. Trust your employees and don’t utilize the cameras to spy on your teams. This shows that District Manager doesn’t trust their teams and creates a culture where no one likes to work in

Victoria's Secret2018-03-25

"I wouldn't touch this place again with a ten foot pole"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Meriden, CT

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not enough to overcome the cons

Cons

I was a Merchandising Manager, which is a functional manager position that is paid hourly. The fact that I was paid hourly is the only reason that I stuck around as long as I did after the current store manager at my location started. This company enables people like her to be completely and utterly ruthless, awful, and overall terrible people. Not only did I routinely work more than 50 hours a week, but sometimes more than 15 hours in a single day in order to accommodate the workload set out by both her and the company itself. It was a catch-22 no matter what I did. On one hand, if I didn't work the 50 hours with 15 hour days, there would inevitably be things that wouldn't get done and the store manager would scream at me (literally calling me on the phone to yell at me when I wasn't working). On the other hand, if I worked the overtime to get these things done and ultimately came up with a plan that would achieve these goals, I would be reprimanded for going over my scheduled hours on the week. To other individuals mind you, because some women are gossipy witches :) I've also called the ethics hotline MULTIPLE times to report this individual and nothing was done. So clearly that's a priority with LBrands. Assistant Store Managers and Store Managers are salaried positions, so they are working ungodly amounts of hours to get these lists of things done, but I was not afforded the same luxury. To add to this list of grievances, not only was I expected keep the backroom and store 100% perfect at all times (when not everyone was held to that same standard mind you) but I was also expected to sell at least $150 per average sales hour, push credit/loyalty, AND act as asset protection to a company that values the feelings of shoplifters over the safety of it's own employees. Like I said before, this isn't 100% to fault VS because I met some wonderful people there who I consider friends today. With that being said though, especially in management positions, do not accept an offer unless you plan on being a retail "lifer" so to speak, because it is not worth your time, energy, aggravation, and physical/mental/emotional health.

Advice to Management

Routinely evaluate store management, because if you actually listen to their employees, you'd learn a lot of helpful information.

Victoria's Secret2018-03-13

"Merchandising Manager"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gratis, employee discount, flexible schedule most of the time, the company itself has great things going for them and they offer a lot of support in cases of emergency and unfortunate or tragic situations (like if you are domestically abused, or your home burned down. I've never used it personally but it's more than most companies and something they should be really proud of) Pay is decent enough to support yourself, which is the only reason I stayed as long as I did. If you have a good store manager who uses company tools and policies they way they are designed associates, managers, and stores thrive!

Cons

There is no work life balance once you enter management and I have noticed for valued associates it can be the same although the same responsibility is not expected of them (and it shouldn't be). If you go back to school, as a manager, it is considered a headache to your store manager (depending on your volume brand the more money your store makes the more managers you have and I've heard it is much easier) it is meant to be a "career" and blocking off 2 evenings a week is considered detrimental to the stores success at times. You can't be sick as it's inconvenient to and for the business, although ultimately it HURTS your business because you end up getting your entire staff sick. Not much room for advancement after a while, some of it is performance based but if you have been there for a while it just depends if your upper management and you are friends (the job isn't hard so that is what it comes down to ultimately). Communication is lacking and if you mess something up they aren't necessarily great at coaching but I've noticed a tendency towards cattiness and you hear about performance transgressions through the grapevine rather than the manager approaching that person as it should be, even though the company provides tools and guidelines for things like that not to happen but it does frequently. Everyone does things different in a way that can cause paperwork and errors on day to day tasks, it's from a lack of training, you read it on the ipad and it's never talked about again. I noticed a lot of turnover whenever I was employed and it was all based on unhappiness, after every holiday there is a "huge change" in managers/supervisors and everyone gets shuffled around, which can be fun and keep things fresh but is usually a "who messed up and has to take a smaller store". The schedule is also set 3 weeks in advance, but changes the week before because the company can't update anything in a timely manner, especially shipment receipts, so your schedule that is set ahead so you can plan your life around work better is changed the week before almost every week - and that is NOT an exaggeration. It causes the person doing the schedule (usually the Store Manager) a lot of hair pulling stress, especially during holiday which isn't fair to them at all. I know I mentioned work life balance is hard, but it's worth mentioning twice - I gave it one star but it deserves absolutely none.

Advice to Management

More respect for your management team and your associates it is JUST bras and panties at the end of the day! You lose so many talented people and money because you can't retain them which is why your turnover is always high, especially in management. Take care of your people! They drive your results and your business, if a store is failing it's because your people aren't being properly taken care of, an failing store is a unhappy store and as SM's and DM's it's YOUR job to fix it and give your other SLT members the tools and skill set to help you improve morale which improves everyones success. My biggest advice is whenever associates and managers do AOS (associate opinion surveys that are anonymous and done yearly) you listen and make sure people aren't being taken advantage of. Another tidbit of advice is when you lose managers every single year, maybe realize the problem is you and your lack of leadership, you don't make it a fun or motivating environment, if a segment is missed, shipment is backed up, or a floorset doesn't go well everyone acts like they're going to get fired and it's ridiculous. Absolutely if things aren't working address and fix it and if need be demote or remove those people, it is a job and you have a business to run no one is denying that, but DM's and SM's would rather sabotage a persons reputation instead of developing them to where they need to be. The gossiping should stop. However, if a member of management reads this they are likely to blow it off and blame the associate rather than address the issue which is your biggest problem and why you can't retain beneficial talent for your stores. It's extremely unfortunate, and why Victoria's Secret is not the "best place to work" as they would like to be.

Victoria's Secret2018-01-02