Victoria's Secret Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Les Wexner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance and diversity/inclusion (in 270 reviews)

• Also call in shifts are terrible because you spend your whole day waiting to her if you have to come in (in 124 reviews)

1. "Lazy and Incompetent Management"

Current Employee - Cash Wrap in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Cash Wrap in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Victoria's Secret part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freebies, great co-workers,fun, great part time job while in school.

Cons

Management lead by emotions not facts,performance or intelligence. Management keeps commission employees on same commission rate during closing hours when the store is closed which is less than the other closers . Management does not interact or manage in the store unless upper management visiting. Every shift operates under different rules and procedures based on who is leading. Pure chaos when Main manager leads a shift. Lower management and sales leads make the store produce.

Advice to Management

More unannounced visits. Local management forces wand rakers to stay through the night to clean and "prepare" for visits from upper management. Lead sellers that truly perform should be evaluated based on performance. Commissions should not be capped during holidays but possibly increased according to volume sold to encourage more selling. Hire competent floor set people that have an eye for visuals that sell and can see stores with fresh eyes as a shopper able to tweak sets as needed. Former manager had real talent.

"Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Victoria's Secret part-time (More than a year)

Pros

this is a fast paced job where you learn a lot. Decent compensation.

Cons

There is little to no training done for entry level positions or lower level managers. The store managers have a reputation for being cruel and attacking associates personally. I have witnessed many associates go home in tears. HR and district managers do little to remedy the actions taken by managers in store.

3. "Seasonal"

I have been working at Victoria's Secret part-time

Pros

30% discount (does NOT include things on sale or already discounted)

Cons

Busy work environment, inconsistent hours, rude customers, on feet all day, no break if you work under 6 hours

"Merchandising Manager"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gratis, employee discount, flexible schedule most of the time, the company itself has great things going for them and they offer a lot of support in cases of emergency and unfortunate or tragic situations (like if you are domestically abused, or your home burned down. I've never used it personally but it's more than most companies and something they should be really proud of) Pay is decent enough to support yourself, which is the only reason I stayed as long as I did. If you have a good store manager who uses company tools and policies they way they are designed associates, managers, and stores thrive!

Cons

There is no work life balance once you enter management and I have noticed for valued associates it can be the same although the same responsibility is not expected of them (and it shouldn't be). If you go back to school, as a manager, it is considered a headache to your store manager (depending on your volume brand the more money your store makes the more managers you have and I've heard it is much easier) it is meant to be a "career" and blocking off 2 evenings a week is considered detrimental to the stores success at times. You can't be sick as it's inconvenient to and for the business, although ultimately it HURTS your business because you end up getting your entire staff sick. Not much room for advancement after a while, some of it is performance based but if you have been there for a while it just depends if your upper management and you are friends (the job isn't hard so that is what it comes down to ultimately). Communication is lacking and if you mess something up they aren't necessarily great at coaching but I've noticed a tendency towards cattiness and you hear about performance transgressions through the grapevine rather than the manager approaching that person as it should be, even though the company provides tools and guidelines for things like that not to happen but it does frequently. Everyone does things different in a way that can cause paperwork and errors on day to day tasks, it's from a lack of training, you read it on the ipad and it's never talked about again. I noticed a lot of turnover whenever I was employed and it was all based on unhappiness, after every holiday there is a "huge change" in managers/supervisors and everyone gets shuffled around, which can be fun and keep things fresh but is usually a "who messed up and has to take a smaller store". The schedule is also set 3 weeks in advance, but changes the week before because the company can't update anything in a timely manner, especially shipment receipts, so your schedule that is set ahead so you can plan your life around work better is changed the week before almost every week - and that is NOT an exaggeration. It causes the person doing the schedule (usually the Store Manager) a lot of hair pulling stress, especially during holiday which isn't fair to them at all. I know I mentioned work life balance is hard, but it's worth mentioning twice - I gave it one star but it deserves absolutely none.

Advice to Management

More respect for your management team and your associates it is JUST bras and panties at the end of the day! You lose so many talented people and money because you can't retain them which is why your turnover is always high, especially in management. Take care of your people! They drive your results and your business, if a store is failing it's because your people aren't being properly taken care of, an failing store is a unhappy store and as SM's and DM's it's YOUR job to fix it and give your other SLT members the tools and skill set to help you improve morale which improves everyones success. My biggest advice is whenever associates and managers do AOS (associate opinion surveys that are anonymous and done yearly) you listen and make sure people aren't being taken advantage of. Another tidbit of advice is when you lose managers every single year, maybe realize the problem is you and your lack of leadership, you don't make it a fun or motivating environment, if a segment is missed, shipment is backed up, or a floorset doesn't go well everyone acts like they're going to get fired and it's ridiculous. Absolutely if things aren't working address and fix it and if need be demote or remove those people, it is a job and you have a business to run no one is denying that, but DM's and SM's would rather sabotage a persons reputation instead of developing them to where they need to be. The gossiping should stop. However, if a member of management reads this they are likely to blow it off and blame the associate rather than address the issue which is your biggest problem and why you can't retain beneficial talent for your stores. It's extremely unfortunate, and why Victoria's Secret is not the "best place to work" as they would like to be.

5. "High expectations"

Current Employee - Sales and Support
    Current Employee - Sales and Support

I have been working at Victoria's Secret part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous discount, plenty of hours to give

Cons

Stressful, low pay for the amount of work expected, unreasonable management

Advice to Management

Take criticism into consideration

6. "Generalist"

Former Employee - Generalist in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Generalist in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Victoria's Secret part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts, Right in the Mall

Cons

Racist Management, managers are not flexible with scheduling

Advice to Management

Would be great if you could manage the team without being racist

"Seasonal Associate"

I have been working at Victoria's Secret part-time

Pros

There were not many pros. The only ones I can think of is the gratis and some of my co-workers were fun to be around.

Cons

The biggest con is the hours. They are extremely unreliable. If you're part-time/seasonal you can anticipate all your hours to get cut on slower weeks. This may lead most to have to get another job, and unfortunately, managers are not understanding of associates having other jobs. They expect us to have loyalty to a store that doesn't give us enough hours to live and pay bills on. This is a good job to have as a secondary source of income, but if you tell them you have another job during the interview you'll have a hard time getting hired with limited availability.

Advice to Management

You will continue to have to rehire people if you are not able to offer enough hours for employees to rely on.

"Sales and support generalist"

I worked at Victoria's Secret part-time

Pros

The discount and the learning how to change the rooms around aka merchandising

Cons

Their benefits aren't good and there wasn't enough training you kind of get thrown out there and you are expected to do everything from selling to registers and shipments and recovery and there is no recognition. Oh and there is no work life balance at all.

9. "it was okay"

I worked at Victoria's Secret part-time

Pros

discount on cute stuff and good work/life balance

Cons

micromanaging managers and a million coupons/discounts/things to apply or try to sell to customers when you ring them up

Advice to Management

let employees do their job

10. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Victoria's Secret part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good free items and discounts

Cons

Would let you off if it wasn’t busy and pay was minimum wage. So you could drive there and clock in and make $2

Showing 671 of 4,891 reviews