Victoria's Secret Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Victoria's Secret Stores Reviews

Updated June 15, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be bad sometimes (in 240 reviews)

• Also call in shifts are terrible because you spend your whole day waiting to her if you have to come in (in 120 reviews)

1. "No thank you!"

Former Employee - Sales and Support Generalist in Colonie, NY
    Former Employee - Sales and Support Generalist in Colonie, NY

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting free or greatly discounted gifts each month and upon employment. 30% discount is nice too. Incentives and prizes.

Cons

Do not care about their store associates, expect you to work at all odd hours of the morning and night and tell you that you have no choice, even when it wasn't in your availability. Store management unprofessional, catty, and just plain awful! Plus the overall value of the company is NOT worth it.

Advice to Management

BE PROFESSIONAL!!!!

2. "Review of Seasonal Associate Position"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Employee gratis
    -If you work at Christmas time, you get a few gifts.
    -It looks good on a resume
    -Full time employment looks amazing if you're lucky enough for them to keep you as a regular.

Cons

-If you're seasonal, no one cares about you.
    -Turnover rate of seasonals is insane. I was the only seasonal to stay the whole season.
    -I wasn't even told when the season ended, I was just contacted over the phone and told not to come in.
    -I was worked off the clock, and out of the system because they were desperate.
    -Cliquey

Advice to Management

I'd focus more on making sure that in store management is treating their employees right. Even the way seasonals are treated says a lot about a store, and creates a relationship with the employee if they're treated well. I feel like this would have been an amazing company to work for as a regular, but sadly seasonals get treated like outsiders.

3. "Typical Sales Jobs"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount on merchandise, enthusiastic management

Cons

Typical sales environment - big focus on getting angel cards

"Wouldn't Recommend for Seasonal Work"

Former Employee - Sales and Support Generalist in Algonquin, IL
    Former Employee - Sales and Support Generalist in Algonquin, IL

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really great people worked at my location, especially other girls in university I could chat with on breaks. Everyone was passionate about the brand and making the customers feel good. I actually loved coming in early (~6 am) to set up the floor, etc. but that might be a con for non-morning people. The gratis was also pretty nice, but don't expect dozens of free bras. I noticed the company usually promotes from within and gives all employees the opportunity to advance if they put in the time and work.

Cons

Don't even thinking about going into this job with the notion that it's easy and glamorous - I didn't and I was still disappointed with all the cons. Cattiness and downright rudeness among employees - I was seasonal and one morning while we were doing floor sets a full-time coworker actually told her friends in front of me that she didn't bother getting to know the names of the seasonals because it wasn't worth her time due to the high turnover rate. Definitely some attitude and entitlement issues there. Part of that turnover was probably because of their unrealistic expectations of part-time employees: I was often asked to stay hours after closing to recover the panty drawers and couldn't leave until well after midnight. Horrible sales environment for the introverted as you're meant to dog customers presumably until you reach your goal of selling 4 bras to each customer (as if every customer can afford to do so, let alone want to do so). Once watched a customer get frustrated with a manager's questions and ask to be left alone to try on her items in peace; said manager then radioed to the girl in the dressing room that the customer was having a bad day and she needed to "find out what was bothering her", as if she wasn't just irritated about being heckled. Additionally, I was often criticized by management for not being more "impressionable" - though I helped many customers and told them my name, I was told on more than one occasion that my hourly sales were at zero despite my protests that I regularly watched girls mis-assign names or even skip that step completely at the registers. I'm thick-skinned, but there were a few times I almost cried on the sales floor because of my harsh store manager on that topic. Finally, stay away if you have a bad memory. My short-term is pretty fuzzy because of some medication I'm on, so it took me ages to memorize all the bras and where they were. I'm sure my performance took a hit because of it, but because my sales dropped, the managers literally wouldn't schedule me for two or three weeks at a time, then put me back on the schedule for a week and expect me to memorize all the new store changes.

Advice to Management

Lessen the pressure you put on part-time employees and you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate. Compensate your workers for taking the time to memorize the company's products and layout of the store instead of expecting them to come in early or do it on their own time. Enforce the policy that all training has to be paid - most girls are too intimidated to demand that and lose out on money that should be theirs. Push management to make all employees feel important or at least included, not just full-timers.

5. "Paid to be miserable"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, Bonuses (if you make plan)

Cons

Upper management is biased and shows blatant favoritism. Schedule isn't balanced, other will have amazing schedules while others won't. Unrealistic expectations. PTO and sick time are one in the same.

Advice to Management

Be more present on the sales floor, know who the associates are. Listen to lower level management and be an advocate for healthy conflict. The District team can take time to speak to functional managers as they're the ones that spend the most time on the sales floor with customers and associates. District team spend 2 minutes on the floor and often disregards functional managers.

6. "Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Okay discount . Free stuff !

Cons

My managers had it out for me because we got a percentage of what we sold. I always made my goals

Advice to Management

Don't hire a store manager from outside the company.

7. "DONE EVEN APPLY"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the 30% off on non-discountable items, thats it

Cons

they are a bunch of catty, rude, lazy, and unfair women working as management. I was so excited to work at VS. I would have quit my other part time job to work there....thank god i didnt. The management is SO disrespectful and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

You should never tell your employers not to try and work their hardest and do above and beyond. If someone gets a letter to corporate.. You dont talk down on them, you congratulate them and reward them for their hard work...

8. "It was not pleasant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount and seasonal gratis

Cons

everyone is made to feel unimportant and expendable unless you the management likes you

9. "Degrading"

Current Employee - Generalist in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Generalist in Northridge, CA

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Up beat environment
    - Bountiful hours
    - Free merchandise
    - Discount benefits
    - Potential to earn commission as a sales specialist but NOT a generalist. It is minimum wage. And they will suck the life out of you.

Cons

- degrading & unprofessional management
    - unorganized
    - management does not follow company policies
    - inappropriate conduct amongst co workers

Advice to Management

I advise upper management to choose the store supervisors and managers more appropriate who can actually handle their positions.

10. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Laredo, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Laredo, TX

Pros

Great lingerie and workout clothes is sold. The fragrances: body mist, perfumes, are to die for.

Cons

They don't give enough hours. You hardly work.

Advice to Management

Do not hire so many part timers

Showing 615 of 4,402 reviews