Victory Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Chris Hale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great mission.... Great people"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Victory Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Victory media has an awesome company culture and genuinely cares about there employees. I have fell in love with what we do and who we are. Its not just a job its a career and there is a lot of opportunity within the company... Victory Media is a company who sees value in there employees and shows them that they care.

Cons

If you are not competitive or strive to be your best at all times this company is not for you. Victory media Takes pride in having the best of the best. Hard work always pays off and never goes unrecognized.

"Solid Footing Needed"

I worked at Victory Media full-time

Pros

Great people at some positions. Hard workers can be found. C-Level leadership has a desire to improve and learn and grow.

Cons

Pockets of lying and mistrust among employees. Change happening with trust in one persons' expertise without inflating results.

Advice to Management

Dive deep into everything first from outside and only make the change when the product(s) are really ready. Work on the pockets of employees that distrust each other and remove the toxicity. Don't just listen to the complainers.

"A perpetual shell game"

I worked at Victory Media full-time

Pros

None...now. All the people with skills and moral compass have either moved on or were fired by the megalomaniac running the show.

Cons

"Victory is a completely money-driven company, and it doesn't at all surprise me that it finally slipped out about the pay-to-play scheme…. What started out as, presumably, an actual mission to help veterans has become a soulless cash grab. This is one of the many reasons why I left." - Former Victory Media employee

Advice to Management

"Victory sells this "helping students and vets" jargon to fleece corporations and education institutions for solutions that either don't work or don't work well…Once you get past the façade, you see it for what it is: toxic, shady, greedy, dishonest..." - Former Victory Media Employee

Jan 2, 2018 – HR

Our social mission is what makes most of us jump out of bed every morning fired up about going to work! We are as proud today of our company’s success in creating civilian opportunities for our... More

"Okay"

Pros

Compensation, great people, good mission

Cons

Unorganized, growing too quickly without long term strategy in mind

"I enjoyed my time working there."

I worked at Victory Media full-time

Pros

IT was a very organic environment. Shipmates were allowed to chart their own career. Production and commitment is critical to the mission.

Cons

A very small con is not being able to collaborate with shipmates in person as often.

Advice to Management

Never lose sight of the mission and always hire the best to make VMI better.

Dec 22, 2017 – HR

Thanks for sharing your experience with our company. It makes us happy:)

"The Pro Reviews are Planted"

I worked at Victory Media full-time

Pros

NOT popcorn or ping pong. They are not Google or Apple.

Cons

Seniors lacking trust to employees and therefore workers do not trust seniors. Micro micro management.

Advice to Management

Trust begins with management to the workers, then the workers may trust you. Just let them do their jobs so they can go home to their life.

Apr 17, 2017 – HR

Thank you for the feedback. We work really hard at seeking opportunities to get better. Building trust between and amongst our people at all levels is one of our top priorities . We wish we would... More

"Breaking the silence"

Current Employee - Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Victory Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

........ You get a paycheck? (Well --- be careful. Throw everything you have into your contract negotiation -- "Raise" is not a word in the Victory Media culture.)

Cons

I'm risking my job by posting a review - as we've been threatened against writing the truth here.
    I'm talking full-blown internal investigations.
    Sound crazy? Well it is, but it's true.

Don't make the same mistake I did and give up valuable time in your life working for this company.

Executives ? Some deep-seated serious issues.
    Sales leadership? Crooked. I light a candle each week in church for the stuff they pull.
    Marketing? Going on two years with the 'marketing guru' brought in - and it's the same smoke, mirrors and pipe dreams.
    HR? Should be ashamed of themselves. I wouldn't trust telling themthe fortune from my fortune cookie. Total sham.

Some good people are stuck working here. And that's a shame. But I can't do it anymore. I'm tired of violating my conscience every monday to friday supporting them and their empty promises.

Advice to Management

Retire. Sell the company to someone who might have a chance at turning things around.

Mar 31, 2017 – HR

We appreciate feedback, positive and negative, about how we can get better. If you really believe the things you’re writing, and have a desire to see them change, then we encourage you to come talk... More

"Don't Let A Few Bad Apples Spoil The Bunch!"

I have been working at Victory Media full-time

Pros

The people are very engaged and extremely driven. It is an environment that is perfect for those that know what hard work is and are not afraid to roll up their sleeves. You will find that many of the negative reviews come from a handful of individuals with an ax to grind because they wanted more pay, less work, and no accountability. The good thing is those people weed themselves out of Victory Media quickly. Those that have an exceptional work ethic and possess personal ethics can excel in this organization and will find themselves appreciated and rewarded. Victory Media has an environment that emphasizes collaboration and creativity. If you want to be a part of something important versus simply collecting a check, I would highly recommend Victory Media.

Cons

Employees that love where they work and love what they do have to watch three people post negative reviews over and over. We all know exactly who they are but we cannot respond. We may be losing talented individuals from joining the company due to inaccurate representation of our workplace. Is it perfect, of course not, but it is very rare to find the "perfect" workplace.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and never stop pushing the envelope. Make sure you hire people with that same drive and passion. Ignore the next three negative posts that you know will come because a few people can't stand that the rest of us are happy.

"Not a good place for women or minorities"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Victory Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place will suck the life out of you, from the poor leadership to horrible pay/commission structure. DON'T BE FOOLED!

Cons

Women are constantly sexually harassed and the company only hires a few minorities in remote sales positions to say they have a diverse company culture.

If you're a woman and you work at Victory Media a certain member of senior leadership will tell his cronies of the perverted sexual acts he'd like to do to you. Even after some employees were accused of sexual harassment, it was never properly handled or reported.

It's a culture built around a clear lack of respect for women and no regard for people of color. One of the few minorities that worked at Victory Media was labeled as "ghetto" and the term was used in a derogatory manner.

Victory Media is a classic example of a company that would only hire older white men if they could.

Advice to Management

Know when to quit and don't be afraid to fire senior leadership.

Jun 14, 2016 – HR Manager

Sexual harassment and a lack of respect for racial diversity are very serious allegations and that behavior is totally unacceptable at Victory Media or anywhere. I would strongly encourage you to... More

"It is better to be hungry in joy than to be filled in sorrow!"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Victory Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people and building relationships with customers. Support and administrative staff are friendly and try to do a good job.

Cons

I was very eager to start what I thought would be a rewarding career with a great cause, but soon found that company management, particularly sales management, is pompous, distrustful, and care only about themselves and revenue. The ends (revenue) justify the means and would make Machiavelli look pious. A "rep" from another territory described to me how their manager, during a team web meeting, used a profanity-laden video as some sordid and apparently intimidating form of motivation. Under the guise of self learning, and time management, senior "leadership" discouraged and frowned upon the posing of questions and private discussion among teammates. Weekly training was a waste of time and the monthly "all hands on deck" meetings were synthetic. Weekly, and sometimes semi-weekly forecast conference calls were interrogating and humiliating. It seemed that nobody had fun. It was obvious people were miserable, nervous and hand shy. Management was suspicious of dissension and therefore bellicose. They aspire to be world renowned sales gurus but those aspirations were delusions of grandeur. They were incessant, if not obsessive-compulsive micro-managers expecting you to live, breathe and profusely bleed revenue, while adding a negligible amount of value to customers. The latter was the most difficult to endure for it placed my integrity in question as one of their representatives.

It is telling when a prospective customer asks for metrics, testimonials or references and management's response is to tell them that they have customers who continue to do business with them, and that that should be sufficient.

Working for Victory Media was akin to a living nightmare only to wake up and relive it every day. I struggled to enjoy holidays, paid time off and weekends because of the dread of going back. Leaving was one of the most relieving and liberating sensations I have ever experienced. It is disconcertingly ironic that a company which describes itself as an expert in workforce development is at best a curious amateur with it's own.

Advice to Management

Critical path is to rid yourselves of current sales management. Reflect on who you are truly trying to help, that is, become the genuine, purpose driven organization that you purport it to be.

Jun 14, 2016 – HR Manager

I would love to talk with you in person to gain a better understanding of your perspective on your experience here and how you think we can improve our leadership. As you know, “Everyone is a... More