Victory Media Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Chris Hale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Okay"

Pros

Compensation, great people, good mission

Cons

Unorganized, growing too quickly without long term strategy in mind

"I enjoyed my time working there."

I worked at Victory Media full-time

Pros

IT was a very organic environment. Shipmates were allowed to chart their own career. Production and commitment is critical to the mission.

Cons

A very small con is not being able to collaborate with shipmates in person as often.

Advice to Management

Never lose sight of the mission and always hire the best to make VMI better.

"The Pro Reviews are Planted"

I worked at Victory Media full-time

Pros

NOT popcorn or ping pong. They are not Google or Apple.

Cons

Seniors lacking trust to employees and therefore workers do not trust seniors. Micro micro management.

Advice to Management

Trust begins with management to the workers, then the workers may trust you. Just let them do their jobs so they can go home to their life.

Apr 17, 2017 – HR

Thank you for the feedback. We work really hard at seeking opportunities to get better. Building trust between and amongst our people at all levels is one of our top priorities . We wish we would... More

"Breaking the silence"

Current Employee - Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Victory Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

........ You get a paycheck? (Well --- be careful. Throw everything you have into your contract negotiation -- "Raise" is not a word in the Victory Media culture.)

Cons

I'm risking my job by posting a review - as we've been threatened against writing the truth here.
    I'm talking full-blown internal investigations.
    Sound crazy? Well it is, but it's true.

Don't make the same mistake I did and give up valuable time in your life working for this company.

Executives ? Some deep-seated serious issues.
    Sales leadership? Crooked. I light a candle each week in church for the stuff they pull.
    Marketing? Going on two years with the 'marketing guru' brought in - and it's the same smoke, mirrors and pipe dreams.
    HR? Should be ashamed of themselves. I wouldn't trust telling themthe fortune from my fortune cookie. Total sham.

Some good people are stuck working here. And that's a shame. But I can't do it anymore. I'm tired of violating my conscience every monday to friday supporting them and their empty promises.

Advice to Management

Retire. Sell the company to someone who might have a chance at turning things around.

Mar 31, 2017 – HR

We appreciate feedback, positive and negative, about how we can get better. If you really believe the things you’re writing, and have a desire to see them change, then we encourage you to come talk... More

"Don't Let A Few Bad Apples Spoil The Bunch!"

I have been working at Victory Media full-time

Pros

The people are very engaged and extremely driven. It is an environment that is perfect for those that know what hard work is and are not afraid to roll up their sleeves. You will find that many of the negative reviews come from a handful of individuals with an ax to grind because they wanted more pay, less work, and no accountability. The good thing is those people weed themselves out of Victory Media quickly. Those that have an exceptional work ethic and possess personal ethics can excel in this organization and will find themselves appreciated and rewarded. Victory Media has an environment that emphasizes collaboration and creativity. If you want to be a part of something important versus simply collecting a check, I would highly recommend Victory Media.

Cons

Employees that love where they work and love what they do have to watch three people post negative reviews over and over. We all know exactly who they are but we cannot respond. We may be losing talented individuals from joining the company due to inaccurate representation of our workplace. Is it perfect, of course not, but it is very rare to find the "perfect" workplace.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and never stop pushing the envelope. Make sure you hire people with that same drive and passion. Ignore the next three negative posts that you know will come because a few people can't stand that the rest of us are happy.

"Not a good place for women or minorities"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Victory Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place will suck the life out of you, from the poor leadership to horrible pay/commission structure. DON'T BE FOOLED!

Cons

Women are constantly sexually harassed and the company only hires a few minorities in remote sales positions to say they have a diverse company culture.

If you're a woman and you work at Victory Media a certain member of senior leadership will tell his cronies of the perverted sexual acts he'd like to do to you. Even after some employees were accused of sexual harassment, it was never properly handled or reported.

It's a culture built around a clear lack of respect for women and no regard for people of color. One of the few minorities that worked at Victory Media was labeled as "ghetto" and the term was used in a derogatory manner.

Victory Media is a classic example of a company that would only hire older white men if they could.

Advice to Management

Know when to quit and don't be afraid to fire senior leadership.

Jun 14, 2016 – HR Manager

Sexual harassment and a lack of respect for racial diversity are very serious allegations and that behavior is totally unacceptable at Victory Media or anywhere. I would strongly encourage you to... More

"It is better to be hungry in joy than to be filled in sorrow!"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Victory Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people and building relationships with customers. Support and administrative staff are friendly and try to do a good job.

Cons

I was very eager to start what I thought would be a rewarding career with a great cause, but soon found that company management, particularly sales management, is pompous, distrustful, and care only about themselves and revenue. The ends (revenue) justify the means and would make Machiavelli look pious. A "rep" from another territory described to me how their manager, during a team web meeting, used a profanity-laden video as some sordid and apparently intimidating form of motivation. Under the guise of self learning, and time management, senior "leadership" discouraged and frowned upon the posing of questions and private discussion among teammates. Weekly training was a waste of time and the monthly "all hands on deck" meetings were synthetic. Weekly, and sometimes semi-weekly forecast conference calls were interrogating and humiliating. It seemed that nobody had fun. It was obvious people were miserable, nervous and hand shy. Management was suspicious of dissension and therefore bellicose. They aspire to be world renowned sales gurus but those aspirations were delusions of grandeur. They were incessant, if not obsessive-compulsive micro-managers expecting you to live, breathe and profusely bleed revenue, while adding a negligible amount of value to customers. The latter was the most difficult to endure for it placed my integrity in question as one of their representatives.

It is telling when a prospective customer asks for metrics, testimonials or references and management's response is to tell them that they have customers who continue to do business with them, and that that should be sufficient.

Working for Victory Media was akin to a living nightmare only to wake up and relive it every day. I struggled to enjoy holidays, paid time off and weekends because of the dread of going back. Leaving was one of the most relieving and liberating sensations I have ever experienced. It is disconcertingly ironic that a company which describes itself as an expert in workforce development is at best a curious amateur with it's own.

Advice to Management

Critical path is to rid yourselves of current sales management. Reflect on who you are truly trying to help, that is, become the genuine, purpose driven organization that you purport it to be.

Jun 14, 2016 – HR Manager

I would love to talk with you in person to gain a better understanding of your perspective on your experience here and how you think we can improve our leadership. As you know, “Everyone is a... More

"There's nothing positive about Victory Media"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Specialist
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Specialist

I have been working at Victory Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since I have to write something... I enjoyed meeting new sales reps and sharing our disdain for this company.

Cons

TURNOVER - I have seen so many people hired and quit/fired in the last 18 months - sales reps don't last long here. The only group with job security is the higher ups, where everybody that is favored by the CEO gets a bogus VP title, while everybody else is extendible.

LEADERSHIP - The company is ruled much like a militant dictatorship. The CEO's minions (everybody with a VP title) would be lucky to have a manager title anywhere else. Instead of leading by example the common practice is lead by fear; do what I say, not what I do.

PAY - The commission structure is one of the lowest in the industry and the pay is inconsistent between reps. Our products don't sale that well and we have zero analytics to help with renewals. Print is a dying platform and our digital efforts are horrendous. We thrive on business from for-profit schools and basically give them a "Military Friendly Schools" title so they'll buy ad space from us. On the employer side, it seems that we get lucky and most Fortune 1000s have enough leftover budget to give us a handout to "support vets" - if they knew the ROI they got from our products there wouldn't be any renewals. And if you do decide to bring up a pay raise, the CEO will take it as an insult and remind you that we are here to help veterans.

TITLE - Instead of Senior Outside Sales Rep, they give you a title of Senior Recruiting Specialist, so when you do look for other work you're matched with HR/recruiting jobs instead of sales. I can't wait to be out of here and back into a more professional sales environment.

Advice to Management

Selling the company to somebody that knows what they're doing would be a great start.

Apr 25, 2017 – HR

The sales rep turnover is certainly high and an area marked for serious improvement. I believe this issue started when we simply tried to grow at a rate without the infrastructure to support that... More

"Wouldn't Go Back for Anything"

Pros

- Some nice people there
    - Mission looks great on paper
    - Free popcorn and a ping pong table if you care about stuff like that

Cons

- Management isn't realistic about goals... or how to achieve them
    - The surveys results are skewed to accept schools based on who pays for ads (the term "pay to play" was thrown around the office all the time & the E&Y cert they get each year only checks to see if the criteria is fairly applied... not if the criteria is subjective, flawed, or different from year to year)
    - The company doesn't understand technology at all... they don't get how to build software so they are incapable of supporting those who do
    - Incredibly low morale was a problem they didn't know how to fix... anything that requires a human element and can't be solved with a "rank and file" mgmt system is an enigma to them. Morale was so low that i overheard people taking recruiter calls at their desks at one point... I wanted out the whole time i was there
    - really long hours... never worked such long hours any where else in my career... to the point of being at the office at 11pm or later
    - Crappy pay... well under even the local averages

Advice to Management

- be better people? Really sad and very telling that the CEO posted a response to the Glass Door "allegations"... instead of learning from them. Again, if you can't bark at it to fix it, it's not something they understand.

Apr 5, 2017 – HR

Military Friendly® results are formulaic. It is impossible for results to be skewed by an individual or for the benefit of any single organization or school. So there is simply no merit in your... More

"A moral obligation to leave an honest review"

Pros

Helping to give a voice to veterans and military spouses through a multiple platforms. The STEM platform is easily the simplest and best product Victory has to offer and having the chance to increase STEM awareness in schools is fantastic.

There are some wonderful and talented visionaries at Victory.

Cons

This is strictly an individual account as a former employee. Some aspects are facts while others are opinions and a description of my own personal experiences and sentiments. There will zero falsified statements.

Glassdoor is designed as a venue to describe an employer and more importantly how it FEELS to work for that employer. Embarking on the opportunity to work at Victory Media was taken with enthusiasm and high aspirations; sadly the experience from beginning to end was disappointing and often times dreadful.

Compensation:
    1. There are compensation disparities of over 10K with employees in the same position, same experience, same regions. If employees simply corroborated to understand each other's salaries the disparities would be clear, and it would cost the company more to even than playing field than to value the employees appropriately at the outset.
    2. Compensation at first glance does seem competitive, but only because the commission percentage is absolutely deplorable. In speaking with numerous executives at small, but reputable companies, Victory Media's commissioning structure is far off the mark.

Organizational structure and leadership
    1. There's a severe leadership vacuum. There has been an in inordinate amount of employees who feel that their trust has been broken and that the communication loop is disjointed.
    2. Talks with those in leadership can be had. Items with actionable specificity can be brought up. This is true, the environment allows it. However, the results are appeasing conversations only leaving those who decide to talk about it feeling regretful for making an empty attempt. Again, the trust is broken.
    3. There is a legitimate inner circle. Some individuals call even the president "dude" and "bro." (e.g. The "Victory is Passion" review)Then there's a group of employees that one individual brought over with him from his former company and with that a fervent and silly loyalty.

Daily events:
    It seems that revenue generation comes first, then the client. Some of the company’s biggest clients did not renew some of the biggest deal the company had because Victory did not / does not do anything and everything to ensure the client has all that they need (at all times). Time and time again it felt as if there was only a 50/50 that we would do exactly what we said we would do. When this uncertainty results in failure- it is either ignored and blamed elsewhere or vocalized but met with excuses. Both result in a slow decline of individual integrity that results in a “it’s just how it is here” mentality. I fell victim to the same cynicism and hated myself for it.

Many efforts are then centralized on damage control and apologies to customers weary of Victory’s ability to deliver. Issues are only compounded when more and more products/programs/solutions are rolled out before programs in existence have gained mild success. More often than not we cannot uphold our promises. Again, revenue comes first.

Turnover
    1. Because of the enormous amount of turnover as result of the lack of trust and communication, their is an uncertainty with regard to structure.

2. Quotes of employees (former and current)- none of my own.
    "I am completely catatonic working here.” “I got high fives when I told people I was quitting” “I’ve had a migraine everyday since I’ve been here.” “I don’t trust anyone at this place.” “I felt like this was a good fit, but this is terrible.” “I’ve been looking for another job since week 2.” “I was berated.” “Do not be loyal to them, they won’t be to you.” “I resigned because he tried to pin something on me.” “He (the President) only cares about money, he will never entertain the right ideas, only the lucrative ones.” “It literally pains me to work here.” “I don’t think we would pass our own survey.”

Ultimately, my decision to leave came when I looked at the entirety of my experience and realized that my professional reputation may suffer the longer I stay; I came across knowledge of what can only be describe as "planted" results for some clients. I brought it up with no answers given back to me. Another individual brought it up in an exit interview. Again, no answers. This deceit, whether intentional or unintentional, is an undeniable red flag.

Victory as an employer may one day crest the hill, but for now the reviews posted here are unfortunately accurate.

I can say that the what I've done for veterans outside of working hours if far more gratifying than getting paid to do it. Anyone can reach out to the litany of organizations that help veterans and volunteer their services for immediate and tangible results.

At the home office there is a bell thats rung every time a partnership is formed or a client renews. I've told myself time and time again that I would be far more impressed if the bell was rung any time a veteran or spouse was hired in part to due to Victory's efforts.

Advice to Management

Consider your unique value proposition to prospective employees. Ask yourself if you would believe your answers to those with concerns about the company's reputation and direction. Are you simply quelling concerns or are you being completely honest?

In a recent meeting a VP made the comment, “if you want things perfect, you’re in the wrong place. This is a really bumpy ride.” And this solidified what my instincts had told me all along - there is such an expectation that Victory will continue to make small and large scale mistakes. This is fair to a degree, business is business. But worse, was the lack of desire to STRIVE for perfection is what was the most bothersome. It is an inherently a schizophrenic culture that I can only describe as ok with being "good enough." STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE.

Ditch the rhetoric used to avoid confronting the brutal truths.