Videology Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Videology Chairman and CEO Scott Ferber
Scott Ferber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work - life balance is great" (in 14 reviews)

• "Videology has many super-smart people that enjoy sharing what they've learned" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "little communication/direction from senior management although this is improving" (in 9 reviews)

• "Middle management passes the buck around when it comes to solving for basic issues" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Videology full-time

Pros

Extremely smart people, face-paced environment, work/life balance.

Cons

Lots of competition in the space

"High pressure and low support"

I worked at Videology full-time

Pros

Good technology and good people.

Cons

The management was greedy. There was no support but there were huge expectations. It was a grind and the management was trying to flip the company, not build something great.

Advice to Management

should have sold for 500m when you had the chance

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Videology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Working on cutting edge technology.
    2. They really value and in fact encourage employees to have a good work/life balance.
    3. Great people to just hang out with. There was never a dull moment at work.
    4. Very challenging bosses to work for. I learnt a lot from them that helped me land an amazing job elsewhere. I think a lot of people have perhaps been too harsh in their comments about the senior engineering management.
    5. It's one of the few places on the East Coast that seem to have extreme programming done right. Atleast in one or two tech teams.

Cons

1. Constant lay offs. I worked there for 5 years. There was a massive lay off a year before I joined, a smaller layoff while I was working there, and another massive layoff a month after I left (dodged that bullet!!).
    2. Not good for those seeking a Green Card sponsorship. Again in lieu of the layoffs. I don't know about the complaints against HR being unresponsive. They always seemed very prompt in their responses to me.
    3. Not much chance to grow, uncompetitive salary. This was almost definitely because the company struggled to be profitable the whole time I was there.
    4. Point 5. from the pros. Sadly, not all tech teams are top notch. If you land up on the Data Management Platform team or (possibly) certain parts of the AdServing team, life's good. DevOps was also getting right up there. Other teams were a little chaotic, bad engineering practices over the years coupled with "shiny object" syndrome.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what I would've done differently in their shoes. The company approached the idea of TV advertising in an aggressive way, which was great. The market just seemed too slow to respond. Maybe in the coming years that will change, though after the acquisition I think it's more likely the company will shift focus.

"Retrospective before Acquisition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Videology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, intriguing, outgoing people.

Scott Ferber

Aggressive market plays aimed at developing unique tech.

Cons

Middle management on business side filled with complacency and laziness, which drove most young, ambitious talent to leave the company within a few years.

Senior management on engineering side dominated by myopic viewpoints that created divides in company and leaders who asked too little of subordinates (though these leaders have seemingly been sidelined).

Repeated contradiction and lack of alignment on company's near-term goals coming from leadership.

Advice to Management

Videology preached loyalty and family, which bred a close-knit culture and community, but kept the company from reassigning or firing people who simply did not perform adequately. Instead of cultivating young talent, you have repeatedly let 20-somethings and 30-somethings with true ambition walk out the door and flourish, yet retained managers who put little-to-no effort into their jobs.

5. "VP of Engineering"

Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Videology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cutting Edge. One of the few companies on the east coast that has a work culture similar to Silicon Valley. Offer a good compensation.

Cons

Benefits could be better. The Senior Management including Engineering needs to do some retrospection to improve.

Advice to Management

Take some time for introspection! And then act on that.

"The Engineering needs some common sense management!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Videology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work - life balance is great. Great place to learn about software design, development and cloud technologies. They have a truly inspiring CEO.

Cons

All the greatest and latest technologies do not necessarily deliver great products. However, that is what the Engineering is mainly focused on, constantly replacing technologies that worked with something new. There may be some history to it. Five years ago Videology acquired a smaller display adtech company that took over the Engineering management. They have been actively working in replacing most of the technology stack with services more familiar to them. If they time was spent on features, value to client and alignment with business they would have served the company better.

Advice to Management

Change your focus back to delivering value instead of newer technology and processes.

"It all went downhill pretty quick"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Videology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location. That's about it. .

Cons

Micromanagement, no raises or bonuses, no 401k match, no professional growth, fraud HR. On one instance, they said they filled the application but their lawyer never sent it out because Videology never paid them.

Used to have great engineers but all of them are either gone or are about to leave.

8. "It was fun..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Videology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with smart people. Decent tech stack.

Cons

No room for growth.
    People that got things done have either left of been laid off.
    Some managers rather keep people on their team rather then seeing their employee's potential. Some directors and vp's are clueless.

Advice to Management

Good luck, hopefully the recent changes will keep people.

9. "Great Experience"

I worked at Videology full-time

Pros

Work life balance is respected

Cons

Managers availability needs to be worked on

10. "Challenging and Rewarding Work"

I have been working at Videology full-time

Pros

Because of Videology's position in a fast paced, growing, and changing industry, the work is challenging and rewarding with always something new to learn! The people at this company are incredibly smart, hardworking, collaborative, and fun, making it a great environment to be a part of.

Cons

Because it's a small company, the Employee Benefits Package is not on the same level as that of a larger company.

Advice to Management

Remain focused on transparently communicating information/direction to the larger team to ensure alignment towards the greater vision.