Videology Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Videology Chairman and CEO Scott Ferber
Scott Ferber

Pros
  • They strike a great work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Fast paced work environment; great company growth and success; lots of responsibility; room to grow; effort is rewarded; passionate execs (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Very fast paced with little direction from senior management (in 6 reviews)

• There are about 10x as many butts in seats as there are really smart people (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

Pros

I contract with Videology for almost 3 years and I never felt like an outsider. Most companies make contracts feel like crap but not Videology. I worked in a creative marketing team and it was a wonderful experience. I learned a lot and make some good friends here.

Cons

Can't really think of any Cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum"

I have been working at Videology full-time

Pros

There are some good people

Cons

Years ago, Videology had high standards and employed some top-notch people. Talent and hard work was rewarded and it was generally a great environment. Over the years the smart people gradually became outnumbered as clueless, overpaid, self-congratulating morons were inserted into the upper ranks. An exasperating chasm grew between the people at the top and the people who actually understood how things work, and between the tech leaders in the US and the guys on the ground in EMEA.
    Despite repeating the tired mantra that "people are out most important resource", management repeatedly proved that they saw the employees as more of an inconvenience than an asset.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring numptees

"Meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Videology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The teammates were generally good to work with
    Decent work-life balance
    One of the better known software product companies in Baltimore
    Great if you're a univ of Virginia alumni

Cons

After a layoff round earlier this year that saw the company headcount drop by 10% (the CEO and co claimed it to be a restructure to be more product/engineering focused but it was clearly to reduce costs to show profit for future IPO/sale purposes), the Glassdoor rating is now higher than ever- how ? It seems there were 5 (!!!) * 5 star rating reviews on October 3rd with very generic terms in it whereas you usually see a review every 10-30 days.

The leadership seems to have "missed the bus". Should have sold/IPO'ed while they still could- the DSP market is getting cannibalized/commoditized and the barrier to entry is non-existent

Inter-department politics is very high. People are eager to pass the responsibility

The CEO mostly has the same old crew from his old company. Old boys' club.

Advice to Management

When you try to cheat the ratings system, be more discreet. This is supposed to be a voluntary employee review site.

Videology Response

Jan 3, 2017 – Employee Development Manager

Thank you for your review of Videology! We truly value the feedback from our current and former employees. While we’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your teammates and our work culture, we’re very ... More

5. "Intern"

Pros

Large amount of exposure across company
    Work/Life balance

Cons

Baltimore can feel quite isolating for a summer experience

6. "Growing Opportunities in a Fast Paced Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Videology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Videology is a young company where the ceiling on your personal growth is largely where you set it. There are fantastic opportunities to advance both your personal career and the company. The work is challenging largely due to the fact that Videology is attempting to do things that have not been done elsewhere. As such, there is a strong community within Videology to further internal knowledge of an industry that we are actively shaping.

Cons

Part of being in a relatively new industry is that the focus of attention shifts frequently. This does not represent a lack of direction, but it can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Continued focus on hiring great people who want to achieve highly.

7. "THE place to work"

Pros

The whole organization is people focused. The CEO will tell you personally that the most important asset the company has are its people. The engineering organization within the company is one of the best I've ever worked for and the engineering management is just the right amount of hands off. The managers allow for innovation while keeping an eye and advising of the possible future avenues of development. When there is time there is plenty of room for constructive experimentation. Hard work and teamwork are encouraged, recognized and rewarded.

Cons

The benefits are on the sparse side, but I've worked at places that had worse. The management structure is pretty flat, so the career advancement through the normal promotion chain is limited.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, keep focusing on the people that are it's lifeblood.

8. "Awesome!"

Pros

Great company culture. As an entry level Engineer, this is a great place to develop your skills and learn from some of the top System/Software Engineers Baltimore has to offer. Videology is very rigorous in hiring top talent.

Cons

24/7 business requires on-call rotations. Interview process is very rigorous.

9. "It never gets boring"

I have been working at Videology full-time

Pros

Videology has many super-smart people that enjoy sharing what they've learned. There's always something new to learn, either from a technical perspective, or new areas of business to explore. Add to that a relaxed, casual atmosphere, and it's a great place to learn new things and enhance your skill set.

Cons

Videology has a fairly flat management hierarchy. If you're looking for a place where you can start and climb up a new rung of the ladder every couple of years, this may not be the place for you. There just aren't that many rungs. While there aren't that many management positions, there are however other ways to accept a leadership role, even if it's just for certain features or projects

Advice to Management

Transparency is key to any company. If a employee knows the plan/goal, then they are more empowered to help meet that goal

10. "Associate Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Videology (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a nice open work environment. Everyone is very approachable. I am still pretty new here and I always feel like I can ask for help. We are also very open to using different types of software if it will get the job done. I have worked places where the company was very pigeon-holed into using very dated technology, but Videology works hard to not have that problem.

Cons

They do not have 401k matching

Advice to Management

I haven't been here long enough to really have any grudges against them

11. "Hard work is rewarded"

Current Employee - Operations Related in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Related in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Videology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great manager
    Challenging and interesting work
    Room to grow
    Fun company events

Cons

No cons. If you work hard you will be rewarded. There are plenty of opportunities to succeed.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employees in the loop on vision