Viejas Casino Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 19, 2019

3.2
Todd Simons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits and great co workers" (in 5 reviews)

• "We have great benefits and you can take one of the company’s busses to work from El Cajon" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Viejas used to be a great place to work, but over the last year or so, has become very hostile and stressful work environment" (in 4 reviews)

• "Long commute from downtown San Diego, and long hours on holidays" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good place to work for"

Pros

it is fun and excitement to be around Viejas

Cons

long commute to get there

2. "Casinos suck but good money"

Former Employee - Bartender/Barback in Alpine, CA
    Former Employee - Bartender/Barback in Alpine, CA

I worked at Viejas Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great money, benefits, friendly staff, room for growth

Cons

Horrible Management, long hours with no breaks, smoke filled bars, cant even be a minute late, rude customers, old timers get everything they want while hard working newer people have to accommodate to schedule, far af out in the middle of nowhere (Alpine, lol). They fire and hire a lot of people every few months

Advice to Management

Be considerate and realize sometimes we cant control life and will be 5-10 minutes late because of a car accident on the 8 east is going to take forever to get through (most of it is only 2 lanes the deeper you get into alpine)

3. "Production Technician Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Production Technician in Alpine, CA
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Alpine, CA

I worked at Viejas Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The break room was a great source for employees looking to grab a cheap bite to eat, pay was great as I expected for a casino, the bands were nice to work with, learning live sound, learning the inner workings of how audio and video is run in a casino environment, and having the ability to network with cool like-minded guest and co-workers.

Cons

Making plans was difficult due to the fact the weekly schedule came in the day before the next work week, entertainment pairings were questionable at times, stretching one audio engineer to mix two bands resulted in entertainment that lacked the "4 star Forbes" feel, leadership was not as patient as I would expect from a casino of high regard, and the lack of communication was at times was interesting and incredibly inconvenient.

Advice to Management

Listen, practice patience, understand the difference between an employee merely trying to communicate issues faced and what actual defiance really is, listen to other employees ideas, get rid of the negative work practices, practice tactful communication with your employees, start incorporating new and innovative ways to get things done efficiently as opposed to only sticking to the tried and true, recognize the talents of the employees that work hard, spend time in the day to pass down important information to your junior employees, and provide your new employees with email addresses so that they are don't have to keep asking for the schedule every week.

4. "It's an ok company to work for"

Former Employee - Buffet/Pastry Cook I
    Former Employee - Buffet/Pastry Cook I

I worked at Viejas Casino full-time

Pros

Employees are treated fairly. Employee lounge, benefits, etc.

Cons

Understaffed, not enough product, overworked

5. "Cheap Company. Wouldn't recommend as long-term job."

I have been working at Viejas Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's great pay for students or adults in their 20's. Don't stay here too long unless you're trying to move up in the chain of command.

Managers are friendly.

Cons

Can be extremely slow at times.
    Cheap company with no holiday bonuses and instead send you in-house currency called "V-Bucks." while also keeping staff underpaid.
    Constantly tacking on more responsibilities and tasks without a raise in pay.
    Avoid getting too close to employees as drama and cliques are rampant and can spread to other departments.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap and raise the wages for the people on the frontline.
    If you're going to add more things for us to take care of, you need to raise wages.
    Build a "Make to order" cafeteria system and stop giving us oily mystery meat for lunch. I'd gladly pay more money for higher quality food.

6. "Okay"

Former Employee - Beverage Server
    Former Employee - Beverage Server

I worked at Viejas Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set schedule
    Sometimes fun
    Usually easy
    Friendly co workers
    Benefits

Cons

Money bad
    Hours bad
    Smoke environment
    Management
    Customers

"Great Job"

Former Employee - VIP Concierge in Alpine, CA
    Former Employee - VIP Concierge in Alpine, CA

I worked at Viejas Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am tickled with my time at Viejas. I worked with SO many different people and had such a fun time with all of my coworkers. My manager was laid back and let us do our job. I had a lot of guests who knew me by name and brought me gifts or would come to my desk just to sit and talk with me. It made my time at the casino the best.

The benefits at Viejas are awesome. Great Sharp Health Insurance, dental, 401k, PTO, lots of room to move to different departments and move up.

I was also a hostess at The Grove Steakhouse. Which wasn’t the best experience as an employee, but I love the management and one coworker in particular made it ok for me :)

Cons

There is a lot of drama at The Grove.

As a VIP Concierge, as often as the guests can be super cool, you get A LOT of very angry and disgruntled guests as well as a vast majority of the Job is having to say “no”.
    When the computer system goes down, you literally cannot do your job, as our job is dependent on it.

8. "Casino Service Attendant"

Former Employee - Casino Service Attendant in Alpine, CA
    Former Employee - Casino Service Attendant in Alpine, CA

I worked at Viejas Casino part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved getting to know the customers. The pay was great.

Cons

Co workers had a lot o drama, but I just avoided it.

Advice to Management

Don't change employees schedule with out asking once it has been posted.

9. "Good place to work as long as you don't do anything wrong"

I worked at Viejas Casino full-time

Pros

The people you work with and the benefits

Cons

Management likes to talk down to their employees and find ways to point out that you are doing your job wrong . As long as you don't do anything wrong, you will be treated "ok".

"*****Not a paid advertisment*****"

Current Employee - Safety Specialist
    Current Employee - Safety Specialist

I have been working at Viejas Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I seriously love my job at Viejas! Oftentimes all you hear are negatives when people are reviewing a thing, be it a restaurant, or product, or company. I would like to change the course of that just a little bit with my review.

I have fantastic co-workers; we joke, we laugh, we work hard together. We roll our eyes at the same things and we earnestly help each other as much as we can. These are people I spend 8 hours of my day with, and I am so grateful for their humor, knowledge, and willingness to give. I will know them long after I have left this place. You know that feeling of family you only get like once or twice in all of the places that you've ever worked? Yeah, that.

The facility is gorgeous. All of it. I come to work every day through a path of trees and plants into a newly-built hotel that rivals some of the interiors I've seen in Las Vegas. People come here to vacation, and I get to work here. I ain't mad at it.

Compared to some of the places I've worked, there are so many fringe benefits! Three weeks of PTO a year TO START! Lunches and parties and gear and training and the list goes on and on. The Tribe wants it's team members to be happy at work, because happy team members take better care of our guests.

This place is interesting! Something new and exciting is always going on. There is a bunch of construction going on and once all of that is done this place is going to be AMAZING. We have guests and visitors from all over the world and they bring their own flavor to Viejas. Marketing is constantly trying to keep things interesting, and the support groups really do try to show the team members they care. I don't ever do the same day twice at my job.

Cons

Viejas is working an uphill battle. Check some of the older reviews. I have heard things were different for a long time and there was a very laissez faire attitude towards improvement. A lot of the management that felt that way are gone, a lot of the team members who contributed to that attitude have moved on as well.

So we fight that attitude, and sometimes that can be difficult.

Our current managers are driven to be the best, and expect the best from their teams. Competition from other Resorts and Casinos is stiff. That can be difficult too, if you're not a motivated individual at heart. They are going to give you the tools and support to be successful though, because nobody at Viejas wants to see anybody else fail. There is very much the sense of "One Team, One Goal" at Viejas.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight! Don't compromise your values or goals for even an instant. We are proud of what we are and appreciate your support and guidance, and are looking to you to continue leading us.