Viki Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Viki CEO Sam Wu
Sam Wu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "People are friendly and open to sharing their wealth of knowledge with you so you'll have the opportunity to learn alot" (in 3 reviews)

• "The working environment is friendly and caring but focused and serious" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "No Cons, except I hate the part that Product managers are non technical people and they try to control engineering goals and deadlines" (in 3 reviews)

"Fun Company Where You Learn A Lot"

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

I love working at Viki. All of my coworkers are super helpful and you really learn something new every day. I have a chance to work with literally everyone in the company, from marketing, content, legal, community, product, etc. The amount you can learn really depends on you and your attitude, because the opportunities to advance are definitely there. My manager is always open to hearing my new ideas, provides clear, constructive feedback, and we all really appreciate her for her creativity and honesty. She's very smart, and everyone at work really admires her so I'm lucky I get to learn from her. I also get to work on the content I really love and feel like I'm really contributing to the happiness of fans out there. To me, it's the perfect place to be. You get to see your ideas come to life and everyone around you helps you to achieve that.

Flexible hours and reasonable WFH policy.
    Fun game area (ping pong, pool table), gym, meditation room, free lunch buffet every day, office happy hours!!
    Free tickets to K-con and other company-sponsored events.

Cons

Some workers are jaded for various reasons, but you find that everywhere you go, I think.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for team members to work on projects collaboratively, so that work is more project-based and not department-based. Opportunity for people to work with different managers if they run into problems with their own managers, or at least have some options for people that may be unhappy with their current situation.

"Let your engineering thoughts flight"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Viki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1.The whole engineering team in SG is so energetic , people keep having new and good idea on the product.
    2.you are free to talk about anything you want , you also get chance to do presentation internally or externally, thats a very important soft skill for engineers.
    3.new technologies are adopted , viki also maintain a very good relationship with those tech giants like fb or google.

Cons

some leadership problems should be fixed, can't let one person make decisions for others and make noises to other teams.

Advice to Management

managers should manage their own team well instead of pointing fingers to other teams

"Change Needed at Top"

I worked at Viki full-time

Pros

Great content to work with, especially if you're a fan of K-Pop or other 3rd culture entertainment. There are people who are incredibly smart, creative, and passionate. Coworkers are supportive for the most part. They're fun, good people who will remain friends beyond normal work hours.

Cons

The executive team at Viki has a reputation for being blind and deaf to complaints about the company's strategy and culture. Complaints about a certain people go ignored all the time and everyone is just baffled at how bad management here can be rewarded over and over. There are clear signs and written complaints of lack of confidence, lack of expertise, communication issues, and so many other problems, but in the end, the person was promoted to everyone's shock. In the meantime, her teams are left to figure things out on their own, with very limited resources and zero direction. In the end, everyone loses because the executives are cowards just collecting their paychecks. They don't want to promote the really smart people or people that clearly can get something done or make a difference, because they're jealous of the person or just insecure. It's childish and everyone there knows it. They hold on to stupid ideas for the sake of holding on to it and waste everyone's time trying to make it work. Bad projects and unprofitable ideas should be dropped and taken as a learning, instead of something you drag on for years until you waste time, resources, and talent trying to fix something that will never bring ROI.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourselves. Hold each other on your team accountable and stop rewarding bad, cowardly behavior on the executive level. Be prepared to fire execs, directors, and managers who are not performing. Stop making excuses for your colleagues who are bad leaders and make real changes for the company. Stop excusing lack of accountability and terrible decision making.

"Going nowhere fast"

I worked at Viki full-time

Pros

Fun content to work with. Very willing to hire those straight out of college. Trying hard to keep a young, "start-up" culture alive as the company gets further absorbed into a very corporate Rakuten. Cake for birthdays. Team-building events once a quarter. Free Viki subscription. Fun events opportunities, like K-con.

Cons

A former coworker who left before I did summed it up perfectly when they said "Never have I worked at a company where the exec team was so insecure." The exec team at Viki has no vision and no hustle to get anywhere fast - instead choosing to constantly ask more and more inane questions in order to create more and more roadblocks until eventually whatever opportunity being debated passes them by.

This insecurity filters down into every aspect of the company - every team is fiercely territorial of "their" work and "their" area. Don't ask questions, it's not worth the can of worms you will open up and the power games you'll end up competing in. There is no "cross-team" unity, just deep-rooted distrust.

The idea that "everyone will become experts together" is one that is often brought up by the exec team. But when there are absolutely no mechanisms built for this "path to expertise", well, you can assume that no one is learning anything anytime soon. Which really sucks for everyone who was hired straight out of school because, trust me, you will learn absolutely nothing during your time at Viki. Because no one who is hired above a manager level is an "expert" but supposedly they're working to become one. Hang tight.

Very few opportunities for growth - if you're a "rockstar," you've either already left the company or you'll be at the same level in five years because your boss gets annoyed with you pushing the status quo and the exec team hates dealing with your big ideas.

Do not think you will ever travel to the other offices. You will not.

Advice to Management

Stop stalling and making excuses. Embrace change. Invest in your employees and their future - give them the tools to learn. Vet new hires better. And to all hiring managers, please start hiring people who are smarter than you. Build better teams.

"Really depends which team you're on"

I worked at Viki full-time

Pros

Great benefits, atmosphere, friendly people

Cons

Some managers were great, but it felt like some of the other people in management were B or C list people who didn't know what they were doing but were just bluffing their way through everything.

"Most Supportive Team I've Ever Experienced"

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

The team at Viki is incredibly welcoming and supportive. Within a month of working there I felt completely integrated into the team culture. There are constant work events, it is an extremely collaborative team, and everyone genuinely seems to enjoy working there.

It's a place where everyone is passionate about what they're doing. We're all working towards the same goal of spreading Asian content to global audiences. Everyone is a fan and the whole office loves chatting about the things they're working on. People are excited about the content and the mission of the company, and therefore even more menial tasks become fun.

Cons

There needs to be better communication between certain teams, but it seems like the senior management is aware of this and is constantly working to improve upon it. Since video content is such a face paced, evolving field there is a lot of flux so sometimes changes happen suddenly within teams and those updates take time getting communicated to everyone. That being said, people do make a concerted effort to remain as transparent as possible.

"Viki"

Pros

These are some of the best coworkers you could ever find. We like hanging out together after work and we enjoy each other's company.

The Viki product + content is fun and playful.

Shuttle service to/from office. 401k offering. Daily lunch service.

Office space is clean and modern with a kitchen on each floor. Free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Executive management is sloppy. Weak leadership overall.
    Poor communication across offices. The excuse of different time zones doesn't stop other businesses from maintaining strong communication. Lots of oversight in sharing projects plus lack of transparency.
    The Viki website has a patched-together look with weak design.
    Very limited opportunities to work from other Viki offices.
    Rakuten CEO has an open space office right next to the Viki desks. Viki employees are regularly shushed when speaking at normal 'indoor-voice' volume. This makes for a very tense and uncomfortable work environment.
    The Rakuten culture and Viki culture are a bad match.

Advice to Management

Focus on a clear direction. While pricey, it would be beneficial for all employees to get together 1x/year to meet and see each other in person. Offer more opportunities for office trade. This is an international company and employees should have a chance to experience the other offices and cultures for themselves.
    Rakuten CEO should not have key meetings in the open space office and expect silence.

"Friendly people, sad about weak leadership"

Pros

People are friendly, work hours are flexible (have to be - everyone there need to work in Singapore/Korea hours as well as US Pacific time). Very relaxed, fun and loving culture. Good for new graduates.

Cons

Friendly, but weak leadership. Makes everyone wonder if the executives have a direction.

"Viki"

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

- People: Viki has a young demographic, and that's what I love about the company. Here, you can meet some of the coolest, funniest, and hippest people, who also all happen to be extremely smart and skilled in their area of expertise and are more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

- Project impact: Everyone gets to work on projects that have an impact, regardless of your position at the company. Even though I'm a recent college grad in an entry-level position, I'm given many opportunities to help manage and execute important projects. Being able to work on these projects has really taught me so much about the industry, and it has also helped me develop many valuable hard and soft skills.

- Amazing content: If you love Asian entertainment, Viki is the perfect place to be. You not only have the opportunity to fangirl/fanboy with a group of people who also love the same dramas and celebrities as you, but you also get to work on projects directly related to the content.

- Perks: Unlimited snacks and drinks, free Viki swag, shuttles to the Caltrain/Bart station, and even a walking treadmill for you to walk and workout at the same time!

Cons

- International company: Viki has international offices and also does business with companies around the world, so sometimes meetings can take place either very late at night or early in the morning. I've had a few late night meetings, and I personally don't mind it, but this may be a con for people who prefer to have a job that doesn't require them to work beyond regular business hours.

10. "Fun environment"

I have been working at Viki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Viki is full of young, hardworking, fun employees that enjoy spending time together! There are a lot of perks: 401K, good benefits, and free lunches.

Cons

The company is divided between Singapore and San Mateo, so expect late hours and some miscommunication. Also, there's not a lot of growth between teams.