Viki Reviews | Glassdoor

Tammy Nam

1. Featured Review

"Viki"

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

- People: Viki has a young demographic, and that's what I love about the company. Here, you can meet some of the coolest, funniest, and hippest people, who also all happen to be extremely smart and skilled in their area of expertise and are more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

- Project impact: Everyone gets to work on projects that have an impact, regardless of your position at the company. Even though I'm a recent college grad in an entry-level position, I'm given many opportunities to help manage and execute important projects. Being able to work on these projects has really taught me so much about the industry, and it has also helped me develop many valuable hard and soft skills.

- Amazing content: If you love Asian entertainment, Viki is the perfect place to be. You not only have the opportunity to fangirl/fanboy with a group of people who also love the same dramas and celebrities as you, but you also get to work on projects directly related to the content.

- Perks: Unlimited snacks and drinks, free Viki swag, shuttles to the Caltrain/Bart station, and even a walking treadmill for you to walk and workout at the same time!

Cons

- International company: Viki has international offices and also does business with companies around the world, so sometimes meetings can take place either very late at night or early in the morning. I've had a few late night meetings, and I personally don't mind it, but this may be a con for people who prefer to have a job that doesn't require them to work beyond regular business hours.

2. "independent contractor"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Viki (Less than a year)

Pros

Kind and hardworking staff.
    Smart CEO who listens to suggestions and compensates fairly for the work that is required as a contractor. Great work location.

Cons

Slow to make decisions, causing numerous delays on the project. Blame tends to get tossed around a lot and when taking the fall for something, one can fall hard. People are replaced too easily. Under staffed for what is expected. Needs a stronger sales force.

Advice to Management

Not to play favorites, as it is noticed by other staff members. Follow through is key, wavering slows down the process on anything.

3. "Creative Collaboration at Its Best"

Current Employee - Community Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Viki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Viki is a young, dynamic company that really understands how to engage and motivate their employees. Managers are supportive of your ideas and your endeavors (both personal and career-related), and you can feel that they're truly invested in your growth. There's no micromanagement here - you're expected to perform and meet/exceed goals in a work hard and play hard environment where everyone trusts and respects each other. Coming into work doesn't make you feel like an "employee"; it feels more like you're coming in to see your friend to get creative and to produce something fun and meaningful. The benefits and perks of being at Viki is also awesome!! Overall, I absolutely love working and learning here with my colleagues.

Cons

Th office recently relocated to San Mateo, so the commute may be a challenge for some who come from SF.

Advice to Management

Continue to support creativity amongst staff and build on the success of collaboration between teams, including the Viki community.

5. "Great co-workers, awesome benefits"

Current Employee - Community in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Community in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Viki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits like 401k, health insurance / fully paid by the company, free breakfast and lunch and option to get free dinner if you stay until after 7pm. Fair salary. Commuting stipend.

The team is young, committed, full of energy and fun! We have a supportive management, especially on Product and Community. They listen, encourage you to grow, they consider your feedback. Your opinion really matters in this company and projects can become a reality with true commitment and hard work.

There are some late night meetings to sync up and work with the international offices, but that has never been a bad thing for me.Love working with the Singapore team! Also, opportunities for traveling are available.

Execs and VPs are approachable, friendly and cordial to everyone.

Cons

Long commute if you live anywhere other than San Mateo, no real policy about flex-time yet, but hopefully will have one soon. Not that much room to grow from entry level into other roles, unless you have vast technical or management skills.

Advice to Management

Don't forget our users and our volunteers. Every little change affects them.

"A great company for international experience!"

Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Viki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-International: you get to work in very international environment and working with smart and easy-going people
    -Career growth: the company encourages and supports professional and personal growth.

Cons

-Must be able to handle tasks with minimal supervision.
    -Must be able to adopt fast and be comfortable with quick changes.

7. "Great place to work and amazing people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great international team with global offices
    -Super approachable and humble management team
    -Flexible work hours
    -Great perks
    -Innovative and community oriented product
    -Opportunity to grow within the company

Cons

-Limited PTO
    -Occassional late calls with teams in SEA

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Viki"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

The interview process was very professional, quick and the time from first interview to hire was quick. I had a great experience interviewing and have had a great time being a part of the company.

Cons

There is nothing bad to say!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

tech company in san francisco

Cons

no equity, bonus sucks, lack of decision making, hours are really long, expected to work on weekends

Advice to Management

start over and get new management

"Awesome place to be part of a extraordinary team."

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are A+, The leadership is incredible and insightful. The working environment is friendly and caring but focused and serious. The CEO and CFO are very smart and open people who you can bring ideas and strategy to and the actually welcome it. The HR TEAM is fantastic and cares about the employee and their experience at Viki.
    Benefits are awesome, pay is fair.

Cons

a lot of moving parts, the company has been bought by a very structured parent co. we are all hoping the viii culture remains independent and intact.

Advice to Management

The management team is solid and great people from the top down.
    More sushi would be nice!

"Most Supportive Team I've Ever Experienced"

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

The team at Viki is incredibly welcoming and supportive. Within a month of working there I felt completely integrated into the team culture. There are constant work events, it is an extremely collaborative team, and everyone genuinely seems to enjoy working there.

It's a place where everyone is passionate about what they're doing. We're all working towards the same goal of spreading Asian content to global audiences. Everyone is a fan and the whole office loves chatting about the things they're working on. People are excited about the content and the mission of the company, and therefore even more menial tasks become fun.

Cons

There needs to be better communication between certain teams, but it seems like the senior management is aware of this and is constantly working to improve upon it. Since video content is such a face paced, evolving field there is a lot of flux so sometimes changes happen suddenly within teams and those updates take time getting communicated to everyone. That being said, people do make a concerted effort to remain as transparent as possible.