Viki Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Viki CEO Joanne Waage
Joanne Waage

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Most Supportive Team I've Ever Experienced"

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

The team at Viki is incredibly welcoming and supportive. Within a month of working there I felt completely integrated into the team culture. There are constant work events, it is an extremely collaborative team, and everyone genuinely seems to enjoy working there.

It's a place where everyone is passionate about what they're doing. We're all working towards the same goal of spreading Asian content to global audiences. Everyone is a fan and the whole office loves chatting about the things they're working on. People are excited about the content and the mission of the company, and therefore even more menial tasks become fun.

Cons

There needs to be better communication between certain teams, but it seems like the senior management is aware of this and is constantly working to improve upon it. Since video content is such a face paced, evolving field there is a lot of flux so sometimes changes happen suddenly within teams and those updates take time getting communicated to everyone. That being said, people do make a concerted effort to remain as transparent as possible.

"Really depends which team you're on"

I worked at Viki full-time

Pros

Great benefits, atmosphere, friendly people

Cons

Some managers were great, but it felt like some of the other people in management were B or C list people who didn't know what they were doing but were just bluffing their way through everything.

"Viki"

Pros

These are some of the best coworkers you could ever find. We like hanging out together after work and we enjoy each other's company.

The Viki product + content is fun and playful.

Shuttle service to/from office. 401k offering. Daily lunch service.

Office space is clean and modern with a kitchen on each floor. Free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Executive management is sloppy. Weak leadership overall.
    Poor communication across offices. The excuse of different time zones doesn't stop other businesses from maintaining strong communication. Lots of oversight in sharing projects plus lack of transparency.
    The Viki website has a patched-together look with weak design.
    Very limited opportunities to work from other Viki offices.
    Rakuten CEO has an open space office right next to the Viki desks. Viki employees are regularly shushed when speaking at normal 'indoor-voice' volume. This makes for a very tense and uncomfortable work environment.
    The Rakuten culture and Viki culture are a bad match.

Advice to Management

Focus on a clear direction. While pricey, it would be beneficial for all employees to get together 1x/year to meet and see each other in person. Offer more opportunities for office trade. This is an international company and employees should have a chance to experience the other offices and cultures for themselves.
    Rakuten CEO should not have key meetings in the open space office and expect silence.

4. "Friendly people, sad about weak leadership"

Pros

People are friendly, work hours are flexible (have to be - everyone there need to work in Singapore/Korea hours as well as US Pacific time). Very relaxed, fun and loving culture. Good for new graduates.

Cons

Friendly, but weak leadership. Makes everyone wonder if the executives have a direction.

"Viki"

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

- People: Viki has a young demographic, and that's what I love about the company. Here, you can meet some of the coolest, funniest, and hippest people, who also all happen to be extremely smart and skilled in their area of expertise and are more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

- Project impact: Everyone gets to work on projects that have an impact, regardless of your position at the company. Even though I'm a recent college grad in an entry-level position, I'm given many opportunities to help manage and execute important projects. Being able to work on these projects has really taught me so much about the industry, and it has also helped me develop many valuable hard and soft skills.

- Amazing content: If you love Asian entertainment, Viki is the perfect place to be. You not only have the opportunity to fangirl/fanboy with a group of people who also love the same dramas and celebrities as you, but you also get to work on projects directly related to the content.

- Perks: Unlimited snacks and drinks, free Viki swag, shuttles to the Caltrain/Bart station, and even a walking treadmill for you to walk and workout at the same time!

Cons

- International company: Viki has international offices and also does business with companies around the world, so sometimes meetings can take place either very late at night or early in the morning. I've had a few late night meetings, and I personally don't mind it, but this may be a con for people who prefer to have a job that doesn't require them to work beyond regular business hours.

6. "Fun environment"

I have been working at Viki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Viki is full of young, hardworking, fun employees that enjoy spending time together! There are a lot of perks: 401K, good benefits, and free lunches.

Cons

The company is divided between Singapore and San Mateo, so expect late hours and some miscommunication. Also, there's not a lot of growth between teams.

7. "independent contractor"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Viki (Less than a year)

Pros

Kind and hardworking staff.
    Smart CEO who listens to suggestions and compensates fairly for the work that is required as a contractor. Great work location.

Cons

Slow to make decisions, causing numerous delays on the project. Blame tends to get tossed around a lot and when taking the fall for something, one can fall hard. People are replaced too easily. Under staffed for what is expected. Needs a stronger sales force.

Advice to Management

Not to play favorites, as it is noticed by other staff members. Follow through is key, wavering slows down the process on anything.

8. "Creative Collaboration at Its Best"

Current Employee - Community Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Viki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Viki is a young, dynamic company that really understands how to engage and motivate their employees. Managers are supportive of your ideas and your endeavors (both personal and career-related), and you can feel that they're truly invested in your growth. There's no micromanagement here - you're expected to perform and meet/exceed goals in a work hard and play hard environment where everyone trusts and respects each other. Coming into work doesn't make you feel like an "employee"; it feels more like you're coming in to see your friend to get creative and to produce something fun and meaningful. The benefits and perks of being at Viki is also awesome!! Overall, I absolutely love working and learning here with my colleagues.

Cons

Th office recently relocated to San Mateo, so the commute may be a challenge for some who come from SF.

Advice to Management

Continue to support creativity amongst staff and build on the success of collaboration between teams, including the Viki community.

9. "Energetic, Vibrant and Challenging"

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

401k, great medical benefits, free breakfast and lunch everyday with fully stocked drink/snack bar. commuter stipend.

Co-workers are fun to interact with. Everyone has a work hard and play hard mentality, motivated to get work done with some humor/fun.

Refreshing to come across management that doesn't micro manage.

Cons

May come across late night conference calls with the Singapore office.

Parent company requires Viki to do Japanese culture related practices that US employees aren't accustomed to.

Advice to Management

industry is always changing, never stop changing

10. "Great co-workers, awesome benefits"

Current Employee - Community in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Community in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Viki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits like 401k, health insurance / fully paid by the company, free breakfast and lunch and option to get free dinner if you stay until after 7pm. Fair salary. Commuting stipend.

The team is young, committed, full of energy and fun! We have a supportive management, especially on Product and Community. They listen, encourage you to grow, they consider your feedback. Your opinion really matters in this company and projects can become a reality with true commitment and hard work.

There are some late night meetings to sync up and work with the international offices, but that has never been a bad thing for me.Love working with the Singapore team! Also, opportunities for traveling are available.

Execs and VPs are approachable, friendly and cordial to everyone.

Cons

Long commute if you live anywhere other than San Mateo, no real policy about flex-time yet, but hopefully will have one soon. Not that much room to grow from entry level into other roles, unless you have vast technical or management skills.

Advice to Management

Don't forget our users and our volunteers. Every little change affects them.