Viking Cruises Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Viking Cruises Chairman & CEO Torstein Hagen
Torstein Hagen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits and work-life balance" (in 17 reviews)

• "Free coffee, Boston location very easy to get to from train stations, some co workers are very pleasant" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "The Call center environment is very hostile as far as micro management goes" (in 15 reviews)

• "The comp plan was primarily based on conversion while customer service calls kept pouring into the "sales line"" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Very good place to work and develope experience"

Current Employee - Baker in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Baker in Miami, FL

I have been working at Viking Cruises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Communication , experiences, team work, fun

Cons

Be stronge and be promotion

Advice to Management

Hope to work with viking

2. "Travel reservations"

Pros

Great product and good technical resources

Cons

Day to day metric management of performance

Advice to Management

Be a little more human with your employees

"I should have listened to the reviews"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Viking Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

POTENTIAL to earn high dollars, commission is uncapped. Offer really good health insurance. Give little gift card around the holidays ($25 for Thanksgiving or Christmas)

Cons

Departments don’t communicate, always getting different information from different people. They don’t tell you how the pay structure works until your last day of training - based on conversion, which can be REALLY difficult to reach because every call counts against you even if it’s a transfer call, a wrong number, a call to make a payment.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the pay structure and treat your employees like people and not just another number.

"Wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Viking Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, supportive management personnel, wonderful work environment.

Cons

I don't have a con.

Advice to Management

The sales manager B.N. is a fair woman always willing to lend a hand to get goals accomplished. The director T.O. is a strong force to be admired. She sets the scene for a fun and competitive work environment. I give them all the credit because that kind of energy emanates from the top positions. The supervisors are extremely supportive as well. I loved it there. Forces outside of my control caused me to leave.
    My advice, keep up the good work Vikings.

"Toxic"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Viking Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s a pay check with mediocre benefits.

Cons

Toxic work environment with micromagment from incompetent managers.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be human !

"Successful company, impersonal corporate environment"

Pros

The company is doing great and is a leader in the industry. Great benefits.

Cons

The corporate environment is impersonal and bottom line only focused. There is a feeling that no matter how hard or not hard you work, it won’t be noticed. There is not any mentorship or career development, or at least in the area I worked there wasn’t.

Advice to Management

Provide mentorship or career development opportunities

"MOST CORRUPT COMPANY-FROM THE TOP DOWN. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND RUN."

Current Employee - Customer Service in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Viking Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. I wouldn't even give the company 1 star if I had the option.

Cons

Low Pay, Discrimination, Favoritism, Horrible Management/Upper Management. This company is run by greedy fearmongers.

Advice to Management

You should reconsider the inhumane approach you exhibit on your hard working employees. You should put people in upper management/management who know how to be decent human beings, not the slave driving, fearmongers they are. Going to the bathroom should not be rendered as "unproductive" and you should pay people a living wage. It's the least you can do for all the stress that is caused in your workplace.

"Don't waste your time or you will have your time wasted."

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Viking Cruises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met quite a few good and hard working people who were my co workers.

Cons

There may not be enough available characters to list all the cons. Out of a 6 week training class, a 2 hour sales session on how to sell to the "Viking demographic" was facilitated from a sales coach who just flew out for the day and couldn't wait to get back to California. There were consistently unresolved system issues that made it nearly impossible to have a productive work day. However, that wasn't because we didn't have the hardest working IT guy ever. It was because he was rarely given the soft/hardware needed to do his job. The sales comp plan kept changing and management was never able to articulate what our goals actually were or how to attain them. The comp plan was primarily based on conversion while customer service calls kept pouring into the "sales line"!!! Are you kidding me? Also, calls were and still are being routing to California and Boston at a much higher rate. It was calculated that Arizona is only getting about 14% of all consumer calls coming into Viking. Yet, management will continue to tell you that "If LA & Boston can meet their expectations, so can Arizona!" Management is presently cleaning house; firing unsuspecting employees who haven't even been put on written warnings for performance. Its difficult to find a Viking employee in the Tempe, Arizona office with anything good to say about the way this office is run. Most of the employees who remain are looking for work elsewhere. This place is nothing that management claims it to be. I left Viking to work for a company that actually values its sales force. The Viking Cruises office in Arizona does not reflect the values their CEO Tor Hagen nor their President Karine Hagen speak about regularly.

Advice to Management

Make sales training at lest one full day out of a 6 week training class; not 2 hours. Give the Arizona office a chance by routing calls evenly throughout all the offices in the country. Gain the commitment of enough seasoned employees in Woodland Hills, CA and Boston, MA to help start a new office. Create a physical office for employees to work in, before hiring them. Employees, shouldn't have to work in the temporary make-shift conditions we were stuck with before the new area was ready. It was bad.

"Worst place to work!"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Viking Cruises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New call center
    Free parking/gym membership

Cons

Do your homework. Read all reviews from the LA and Boston office to know what you are signing up for. Tempe is just as bad, if not worse management. Management always in meetings, but not sure what they’re meeting about when not a lot of people left in sales. Toxic environment. Supervisors/Management will lie straight to your face. Viking does not treat their employees like adults so be prepared to be treated like a child. You are only a number there. They will write you up for anything and everything. They use the scare tactic. Save yourself frustration and stress and look elsewhere at a company who treats employees with respect because you definitely won’t find it here. They micromanage to a whole new level.

"Quick turnover buts lots of benefits"

I have been working at Viking Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for call center work
    Amazing benefits
    Fun co workers

Cons

Micromanaged
    High turnover
    Not a ton of room for growth