VillaSport Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Personal Trainer"

I worked at VillaSport full-time

Pros

Upper management was amazing, and so nice to work with. They were very good at communicating to their employees and everyone seemed very happy to work there. They were also very fair for a large gym in personal training compensation.

Cons

It is a very tough environment to get new clients when you have a limited time schedule (which was my issue). Management helped me as much as they possibly could and I seriously appreciated that.

2. "Clique-y"

I worked at VillaSport part-time

Pros

Being with kids was fun and you could usually float to your preferred age group. Free club membership, clean (new) facilities. If I remember, pay was above minimum wage.

Cons

The VillaKids area was pretty nice, but I probably wouldn't leave my kids there. When I started, there was virtually no training program in place, you just showed up for your first day and were supposed to tell the first person you saw that it was your first day. Super awkward and not a good introduction to the job! I think this has changed now though. Management was a little micro-managing and mostly sat in their office all day. Tiny tiny tiny break room as well.

The worst part was virtually all the employees in VK were high schoolers and extremely clique-y! It was really hard to break into their circle. There were a handful of people who seemed genuine.

Upper management preaches being a family but I never actually got that vibe while working.

Advice to Management

Train the staff better and foster a more welcoming community.

3. "Facilities Director"

I worked at VillaSport full-time

Pros

Make your own schedule and get to work with other great people

Cons

Often micro-managed and not appreciated enough

Advice to Management

More organization and processes within the chain of command/hierarchy.

4. "VillaKids Associate"

I have been working at VillaSport part-time

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to improve people skills and it's fun to get to be with kids all day

Cons

It can be draining and sometimes the ratios are really high

5. "Good place for a summer job"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at VillaSport part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were fun to work with, and the facilities are nice. Free membership with employment was probably the best reward for working there

Cons

Lack of management direction made working there confusing at times. No significant pay increases

Advice to Management

More clearly defined goals, better pay incentives

6. "Lifeguard"

I worked at VillaSport part-time

Pros

Gym Membership
    Good Pay
    Scheduling was convienient

Cons

Lack of Leadership
    Mindless Tasks were given

7. "Member Service Representative"

Former Employee - Member Services in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Member Services in Beaverton, OR

I worked at VillaSport (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, friendly coworkers, not a top down management situation. Friendly people who go there and great place to learn and network

Cons

Steep learning curve, not the best training programs available. Corporate office makes decisions with out consulting local locations all the time. Slow growth, can be crazy busy at times

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and listen to the front line staff. You do a great job at making employees feel valued but over praise isn't the best thing at all times.

8. "Lots of potential... but just not quite there yet."

I worked at VillaSport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What I loved about working there were the people I worked with day to day. It takes a village and so many people put in 100% to make Villa a great place to be.

Cons

Management says a lot of things that sound good, but then make changes and decisions that contradict a lot of what they say. (For example - They expect 5 star service, but continue to have lots of turnover and hire 18-20 year olds at $9/hr with no benefits. They believe that they make price irrelevant but continue to raise membership rates and make cuts to staff)

Advice to Management

I truly believe this company could be on "best places to work" lists someday, but they need to start putting the employees first. This is a health club, it isn't a life and death occupation and should be an enjoyable place to work. Give the directors the support they need to succeed and maintain a work/life balance. Hire more full time staff that are invested in the success of the club and watch what 5 star service really can be.

"All talk, no game"

Former Employee - Fitness Advisor in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Fitness Advisor in Beaverton, OR

I worked at VillaSport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stepping stone to career jobs
    Ability to meet great coworkers
    Ability to meet contacts in other fields, Nike, Intel
    Free membership

Cons

Management talks big but doesn't back up what they say. As a training staff we were told numerous "wage increases" and none came to fruition. Was told we are all family but never did more than talk. Almost every trainer was actively applying for jobs while I worked there.

10. "Maintenance"

Pros

Free gym membership while being an employee was always nice. So was the discount on food. Mostly friendly environment and helpful employees.

Cons

Stressful work at times, especially if understaffed. No real job growth opportunities. Multitasking was a must, so quality became second to quantity.

Advice to Management

The only problem I had with management was the uneven distribution of work for employees. One should earn fair wages for fair work. Any extra work should be compensated for.