Village Green Reviews

Updated May 9, 2022

Found 383 of over 388 reviews

3.8
Village Green President/COO Diane Batayeh (no image)
Diane Batayeh
Talk anonymously with Real Estate professionals

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Decent pay is all I can really say(in 21 reviews)
  • "It's not a demanding job and the benefits are great.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Village Green HAD a great training program and got me on the right track to a successful future in real estate.(in 17 reviews)
  • "Great people and love the team I work with!(in 15 reviews)
  • "Excellent training programs(in 14 reviews)
Cons
  • "Additionally, upper management needs to really look at whether or not they’re being leaders or just managers.(in 23 reviews)
  • "you will have no work life balance(in 20 reviews)
  • "And management don't care.(in 19 reviews)
  • "There is a lot of drama and wildly inappropriate behavior on the part of many of the property managers that upper management simply ignores.(in 12 reviews)
  • "There is a multitude of absurd policies and regulations that are widely acknowledged to be irrelevant and unimportant, even by members of regional management—that is, until said managers need an avenue to blame you for their own failures.(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Village Green and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Love The Culture

Mar 3, 2022 - Property Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love my peers and the culture of the company. They strive for excellence and are always evolving. The way they care for their employees is what makes me love working for this company.

Cons

The pay could be better. I also would love more hands-on training instead of virtual classes.

Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for for your five star review! Great associates, like yourself, add and create that extraordinary culture that is so important to our every day. Your feedback helps us evolve and pivot to stay ahead of the industry to make sure our associates are getting the best experience possible. If you are looking for some more VG instructor lead classes, check out our LMS or reach out to Traininghelp@villagegreen.com and Jenessa can make some recommendations. You can also reach out to your Area Director to understand more about the payscale and to set goals and steps to get you to where you would ideally like to be.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Rethinking my career as I write this.

Apr 11, 2022 - Sales Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

-This job is highly interactive and stimulating. If you do your job you will sincerely never be bored. -Discounted housing- usually 20% if the property you are at has the budget for it. There is the option to take a non-revenue apartment as a Property Manager at sites that have the budget for it, but this does deduct a set amount from your overall yearly salary. -They try to promote from within when possible. -Ability to check your phone, go to important personal appointments, and talk about personal life while at work as needed. -Contests and shoutouts to keep you engaged in your metrics. -Provided with a work computer.

Cons

-In my personal experience, if you have a severe issue with a coworker (sexual harassment, bullying, non-professional work atmosphere), you will have to ask for help multiple times before the issue is paid attention to. Unfortunately, because this field is so busy, it often seems that upper management does not have time to tend to these issues until you make it clear that the issue is a make-it or break-it for you. -Rather than being proactive, the company seems to be very reactive. -You cannot put your pronouns on your business cards or in your email signature. -If you need help with finding or purchasing clothing that is appropriate for the dress code, you will not be offered the resources upon new hire. You may be lucky to have great coworkers who will offer suggestions, but if you have never dressed business professional before it may be time consuming to get a new wardrobe to do so. -There are many programs to learn and keep track of. You will consistently have at least 6 tabs open at a time. I wish they would consolidate. -When I asked to be relocated they made me feel as if it was a big hassle for them, even though I let them know I was looking to move to a different area as soon as my interviews. They also made it seem like they were happy to accommodate relocations upon new hire. Instead of being relocated to my ideal area, they sent me even farther away. -Poor work/life balance. The hours at most sites are 9-6, and they make you take an hour lunch break. I do really wish I was able to take only a half hour lunch to leave earlier. -You are not always recognized for your hard work overall. I have experienced this myself, as well as heard from my coworkers they feel the same way. They will notice you for making the "top closers" list (6 rentals in one week or more), but if you are at a site where this is nearly impossible you are pretty much left out of the conversation. In my opinion, recognition should extend beyond metrics. -They look the other way often times when there are employees who are consistently making the same mistakes and not fixing it. They will admit to this if you bring it up. It feels a bit defeating if you work very hard, but someone else on the team is really bringing you down. -They pride themselves on training, which they do a good job at with the LMS/Grace Hill- however upon your first day you really get thrown to the wolves. There could be a lot better structure for on-site training of new Sales Consultants + Service Techs. This is not always the Property Manager's fault, because they are not always told how to train new staff either. If you want to succeed you do have to ask a million questions and fight for yourself. -The "benefits" are really not that great. The health insurance is expensive, and is not a very good plan. 401K matching does not start until after your first year. -I do not feel I am paid what I am worth. They tell you that you have to be in your position meeting the metrics and deadlines for at least 6 months, but then they promote people who are not doing these things after a year or so in fear of losing employees. It often feels like a slap in the face. -When I asked for a lock to be installed on the front door of the office (that locks from the inside) for my own safety, I was disregarded. I was told that if it got to the point where I needed to lock the door I would likely be "screwed anyways." -Not an opportunity for overtime at most sites. If you do get overtime, it is typically a very small amount ex: .5 hours in a pay period. -Pay periods are Thursday to Wednesday so that they can justify having Sales Consultants working 6 days in a row for weekend coverage.

5 people found this review helpful

Village Green Response

Thank you for providing your candid feedback as well as sharing your concerns. We can only grow by learning and adapting when needed and doing so requires feedback. Please know, we take associate feedback seriously and hold ourselves and our teams accountable to said feedback. Workplace behaviors is an important matter to all involved. Please reach out to Christy Vernier, Director of People Services, or Lee Ann Varner, VP People Services, to discuss your personal experience directly.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Service professional

Apr 28, 2022 - Maintenance Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive culture and an industry leader.

Cons

Hi expectations and on call.

Corporate Recruiter

Hello, thank you for the four start review and feedback. We truly appreciate your loyalty of 10+ years of service! We have some new positive changes to compensation with our on call policy that were recently implemented- we would like to hear your thoughts and recommendations on where communications can improve. Overall, your years of experience and suggestions would be greatly appreciated for the continued growth and evolution of VG. Please reach out to the People Service Department or Christy Vernier, Director of People Services, at cvernier@villagegreen.com .

4. 5.0

Wonderful Company

Apr 8, 2022 - Service Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great management structure. Everybody above me has done nothing but push and coach me to excel and grow

Cons

On call every other week end but thats not something that I mind

Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your five star review! We're glad you are embracing the training and growth opportunities that are offered. We look forward to watching you excel in your career. There are some exciting changes being implemented for our service team with the on call policy. Stay tuned!

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Village Green is not what it seems

Oct 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is friendly. Good benefits and PTO package

Cons

For as much work as they expect for $15 an hour you can go elsewhere. Pay does not reflect tenure, job dedication, or actual ability to perform. Impossible to promote. If you want a promotion you have to meet unrealistic expectations. Don’t expect to be rewarded with more pay or a title promotion because you’re actually good at your job. HORRIBLE training. The training you have to go through to even be remotely eligible to promote is an absolute joke. Don’t expect to get anything from it or learn how to become better at your job. Village Green is on this conquest to make our lives easier by putting in place programs that are supposed to integrate well with the software we use but it’s a train wreck — every time. Corporate is so incredibly out of touch with it’s on-site team members that I don’t know how they think they should get to make decisions related to what will help and what won’t. Oh, and god forbid you actually have a question or an issue that needs solved. They’ll just tell you to “put a ticket in” and then you can sit back and pray that you actually get a helpful response.

Corporate Recruiter

Hello, we would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly about your experience. We pride ourselves on our training and development program which has been developed and evolved with the feedback given by our associates who take the classes and go through the development program. We appreciate your 3+ years and if you have specific recommendations we would be interested to hear more. We have several different avenues of communication to further discuss your career path and we highly encourage you to reach out to a mentor, AD, VP or People Services Department. You may reach out directly to Christy Vernier, Director of People Services, at cvernier@villagegreen.com.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

People First

Mar 10, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really takes care of their employees in regards to understanding work life balance. Prides themselves on a promote from within philosophy.

Cons

While they promote from within, if you ask to be developed, in my experience, you are put in the back burner until it is convenient for management.

Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for the great rating! We are glad to hear you see value in the promotion from within and work life balance we are consistently evolving. We encourage you to schedule a sit down meeting with your supervisor or mentor to create a tangible development plan for your future growth. Reach out to the People Services Department if you need any assistance!

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fun people

Mar 30, 2022 - Receptionist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice coworkers make it fun

Cons

Short staffed and not a lot of flex

Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your 4 start review. We are happy to hear the people make it a great work environment for you. That is the goal when we hire, we want the best! In order to add more great people like yourself to our team, please consider our referral rewards. Reach out to the People Service team for more info.

8. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Job

May 8, 2022 - Hourly Manager in Villa Rica, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for! Benefits, pay.

Cons

A lot of drama a lot!

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Bad experience ruined the high hopes

Dec 18, 2021 - Sales Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clear Corporate Structure for policies, procedures, and expectations. Pay was good in my region The Sales team has the opportunity to grow on either the operations side or the sales and marketing side of the business. Corporate Sales and Marketing team was always available and responsive to help, uplift, train, vent to, etc.

Cons

Unless you live in MI (or one of their larger markets) the pace for growth or opportunities are slim. I had a HORRIBLE on-site experience with my PM. Bullying, disrespect, lies, forging information, the list goes on. I documented everything, communicated early on with my MD, AD, AVP, finally escalated to HR and nothing was done. It’s INSANE how little HR made me feel in the long run. Its clear the PM was not terminated solely because our ownership decided to list the property and it would look bad on VG’s end to not have a PM during an acquisition. All of that ruined the trust and high hopes I had with this company.

Corporate Recruiter

Hello, we appreciate that you felt the growth opportunities and support in terms of your marketing team were a positive. While the larger markets are growing, our smaller regions will also see exponential amount of growth in 2022, but the promotion opportunities are not solely based on relocation. We have many programs what will allow you to advance while staying at the current property. Village Green takes all concerns seriously and investigates such claims thoroughly. Please note, sometimes we are not able to share specific details of the outcomes when another associate is involved.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

If you invest in yourself, Village Green will too.

Jan 3, 2022 - Service Manager in Southfield, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you put the time and effort into your job, you will flourish. You’re being given an opportunity to make a name for yourself. If you want that promotion and truly make it known while working your tail off, you will achieve it. The “promote from within” philosophy is legitimate for those that don’t give up. There’s so much opportunity for everyone to gain something. If you build a team atmosphere, this job is a cake walk.

Cons

It can happen anywhere, but, when you’re so dedicated to your job, you lose sight of your work-life balance. It’s very easy to overwhelm yourself. Sometimes, new transitions “take a village” that isn’t always available when needed. Having to figure it out by yourself, at times, can get frustrating.

Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review and thorough recommendations, these have been passed along to our Senior Director of Facilities. We appreciate the dedication you have given to Village Green over the past 5+ years, it is easy to see your understanding and dedication. Our focus is always on our people and ensuring we have the best and most productive policies and procedures in place to also help maintain the work life balance. If you have any other recommendations, please reach out to People Services or Tom Haag, Senior Director of Facilities.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 383 Reviews

Village Green Reviews FAQs

Village Green has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 388 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at Village Green to a friend and 81% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Village Green employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Village Green. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

69% of Village Green employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Village Green 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Village Green to be benefits, coworkers, career development and the cons to be culture, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Village Green Job Seekers