Village Green Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Diane Batayeh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • People need to understand when job hunting that sometimes a busy work life can earn the balance we seek in the work life balance equation (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management trends to micromanage (in 17 reviews)

1. "Good company, leaving was a mistake."

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Village Green (More than 3 years)

Pros

They make sure you have what you need, and it usually is a fun caring environment. Also an expanding company with room to advance. You will look forward to going to work every day at almost every site.

Cons

Get all promises in writing, management turnover can screw verbal deals.

The pay gap between service manager and the highest tech is too large including the non revenue apartment the manager gets. There isn’t any way in my opinion to be happy retiring as a tech, even if you don’t actually want management responsibility the boost in pay makes it something you have to shoot for or leave for it elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Boost service tech pay 20%, there isn’t need for the turnover that is going on nor should the SM be making double a tech 3 including apartment, it hurts morale. This is coming from someone who used to show up half to a full hour early every day without clocking in just because I liked being there that much.

2. "Great People"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Village Green full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Village Green has a great culture in its development programs, associate recognition and forward-thinking ideas. My favorite part is always the people onsite that I work with.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism which leads to keeping poor employees that bring down morale and cause good employees to quit. Regional positions need to be more involved and supportive of the onsite teams as they often can feel neglected.

Advice to Management

Create more roles so there is less on the regional positions' plates. They do not have the time to be onsite and develop their onsite teams. There is such a hard separation between regional and onsite teams which does not help with cohesive thinking and execution of ideas.

3. "Decent Company That Should Be Great"

I have been working at Village Green full-time

Pros

- Good pay and benefits
    - Work with some awesome people
    - Good way to network with new businesses, people.

Cons

- Horrible work/life balance
    - Communication from superiors or deadlines can be improved.
    - Corporate doesn't seem to take action until an issue becomes too big to ignore.

4. "LOVE my job!"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Village Green full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have either worked or helped out in several other regions and Detroit is by far the most organized with the best upper management. I read a few other reviews and I can say that these must be disgruntled ex-employees who didn't do their job. The VP of Detroit is very engaging and motivating. He expects a lot but he will take the time to talk to you and help you. I've had a lot of interaction with him and I'm grateful for such strong leadership. Other pro's are mentoring, employee engagement, fun contests and manager meetings. My Area Director is very helpful and shows up to my property consistently. This is not the case in all regions. Very good support team in Detroit that are committed to you success and growth. Love the new culture initiative.

Cons

Work life balance can be a little challenging at times but you get rewarded for hard work. Need more efficiencies to do less paperwork and get rid of redundancies.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the culture initiative.

5. "Village Green Employee Status Review"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Village Green full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, ability to grow with company, fun coworkers

Cons

Long hours, work every weekend, to move up you have to travel, pay is not worth the amount of extra work you have to do

Advice to Management

Value your employees. When you are short staffed and employees take on extra work you should reward them. Learn more about work/life balance.

6. "Really value employees"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Village Green full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Fee-Managed properties (really an industry issue not a Village Green issue)

7. "Absolutely love this company!"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Village Green full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They promote the hard workers and have a very structured training program. University of Village Green is always available if you need additional training or if you want to take a refresher course. The leaders are always available to help if you have questions and are available to help find solutions to any problem or concern that may come up.

Cons

If you love what you're doing, working with people and trying to help people there are no cons. We deliver authentic experiences to everyone we come in contact with, so as long as that is always your goal, you will love this company too.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all the time you invest in your associates and your drive to see everyone succeed

8. "Bad management and no one cares"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Edgewood, MD
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Edgewood, MD

I worked at Village Green full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty decent and you get bonuses. Get to meet a lot of people from all walks of life.

Cons

Management don't care. And you would like to Hope that the technicians that you work with have their own tools. You'd be surprised how many don't. And management don't care. Then if you have PTO watch it closely because they'll take that from you. Benefits are great. Although that's the only good thing about the company other than the pay and bonuses and parties appreciation parties. But then you go back to work the next day and they work you like a dog. So if you like being worked like a dog with little to no appreciation then you'll appreciate going to work for Village Green you'll have no problem fitting right in with the rest of your co worker's. Believe what I say you'll find out. I hope when you're in your interviewI'm you just read between the lines. Because when they say they care about their residents that is a bunch of hogwash. They don't care all they care about is putting the money in their pockets. But you'll find that out for yourself hopefully you'll read between the lines. Oh and good luck to you.

Advice to Management

You can be replaced too. Not that I was I got out. Just remember Karma. Karma is a funny word but it will come back to haunt you.

9. "Leasing Consultant"

I worked at Village Green full-time

Pros

Good training and education to help with learning

Cons

Family and work life balance is a challenge

Advice to Management

Remember employees have a family.

10. "Awful"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Village Green full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing good! You will regret this company, stay AWAY.

Cons

I don't even know where to start! All the positive reviews are the employees that have not yet realized what a bad company it is. Everyone is so busy, they allow unjust leaders do whatever they please. The VP is horrible! He gets away with retaliation, humiliating employees who have been with the company for years and harassment!! Why would anyone want to work for a company that allows a leader to behave this way? This company has declined the last 2 years under new leadership, mostly the Michigan area as the person in charge is the biggest mistake ever. He asked someone "if they did drugs for a living" during an interview! Is this real life? Stay away and work for a company that's not blind to ignorance and a company that the HR department is just as curupt as the swine that runs the Detroit area.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing certain people get away with everything! This will only turn into a liability because you can't teach an old dog new tricks.