Vinfen Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Bruce L. Bird

Pros
  • They do offer me paid sick time, but I suspect that is only because of the Paid Sicktime law that was passed in Massachusetts in the past year (in 6 reviews)

• Vinfen offers more vacation, personal and sick time than I've seen at most human services organizations and supervisors are supportive of utilizing it (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover due to nature of the work and employees (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay, lots of staff turnover, unresponsive senior management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Relief Staff, Great job"

Former Employee - Relief Staff in Barnstable, MA
    Former Employee - Relief Staff in Barnstable, MA

I worked at Vinfen Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

awesome group of people working for Vinfen.

Cons

working shifts alone can be a challenge depending on the residential program.

"Changes needed"

I worked at Vinfen Corporation full-time

Pros

Opportunities to learn about certain health policies and procedures
    Sponsor certifications
    Work one-on-one with individuals

Cons

No support for dealing with work stress or work/life balance
    Overworked and severely underpaid & underappreciated
    No real mentoring structure or path for in-house career advancement

Advice to Management

Management should pay more attention (Mentoring, career development engagement, bi-annual reviews to keep track of progress, Management reviews from the direct staff) to direct-care staff as they literally are the reflection of the organization (They talk about it a lot but do nothing else) etc.
    If you want to advance internally, do average work, fraternize with the boss and his/her boss, fraternize with HR or you'll be just as lucky as another other non-employee.
    A lot more of the staff (managers included) are there for a paycheck or for lack of nothing better to do, than a serious interest in Mental health care.

3. "Good company"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor II in Weymouth, MA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor II in Weymouth, MA

I worked at Vinfen Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for the position
    Great management team
    Lots of respect

Cons

Demanding job
    Lack of flexibility

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Worst company I've ever worked for"

I worked at Vinfen Corporation full-time

Pros

There are no pros, except you have a thwarted view of what working means or if you have no lofty career ambitions and simply want to spend your time working overtime (actually, not working but spending time) for peanuts and justifying it because the company could care less about you.

Cons

If you are truly looking to build a career based on correct principles and the right outlook, this company is no place for you.

Advice to Management

Dissolve management and start from scratch with people who truly want to build a company that connects with its employees and have a vision and mission statement that is not just words on paper.

"Beneft Coordinator"

Current Employee - CBFS Benefit Coordinator in Dorchester, MA
    Current Employee - CBFS Benefit Coordinator in Dorchester, MA

I have been working at Vinfen Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in,

Cons

Pay is low for a lot of work

"HR Coordinator"

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator

I have been working at Vinfen Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a wonderful supervisor and my co-workers all have positive energy. The organizational culture is one of the top reasons I enjoy working at Vinfen. I receive vacation, personal, and sick time. I am also enrolled in our 403B and pension plan (401A).

Cons

Being that the field is non-profit the salary is probably my only issue, but management works hard to ensure I am appreciated and valued.

Advice to Management

I would like to see room to grow and a career path for myself at Vinfen, I am sometimes worried there is no where for me to move up here.

"Lpn"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Roslindale, MA
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Roslindale, MA

I have been working at Vinfen Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co worker and clients were very pleasant to work with.

Cons

No rasies or holiday pay for relief staff.

Advice to Management

Respect employees time and show appreciation often.

"A company that positively transforms lives"

Pros

- Working for a great cause
    - Tons of different opportunities and locations
    - Got to attend many conferences, paid for by the company

Cons

- Not a lot of room to grow
    - Not a lot of money available, nature of the field (human services)

Advice to Management

Consider ways to keep your early-career employees happy and decrease turnover.

"Stepping stone"

Pros

Steady schedule. No nights, no weekends, no holidays, no on call. Great for entry level experience.

Cons

They over work and under pay. No room for advancement within the agency. No funding for salary increases. No staff support or appreciation.

Advice to Management

Thank your employees, show them that their incredible work does not go unnoticed. Stop putting vulnerable staff in dangerous situations. Let them carry pepper spray. And the next time you give out lanyard panic buttons for staff safety, at least have them call 911; a high pitch frequency only escalates the delusions.

11. "Great Company to Work For! Only a few drawbacks..."

Current Employee - Recovery Youth Leader in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - Recovery Youth Leader in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at Vinfen Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience as an employee of Vinfen has been great thus far!!! I really like my co-workers and supervisor, I get paid for car mileage when traveling between work sites or to meetings outside of regular work hours, the pay is pretty good for human service workers (I make $12 per hour), and I love the clients I work with!! The training was pretty good, although you learn A LOT more on the job than in the New Employee Orientation, and if you have good co-workers and a good supervisor, you sure do learn a lot!!! Holding groups in the community, and not just at our work site, also keeps the work fun and interesting!! People seem to really enjoy the community groups. Also, there are opportunities to pick up extra hours, such as running extra groups, if you seek them out. Staff occasionally participates in some fun activities with clients, too - last summer, we took them on a whale watch, paid for by Vinfen!! There are also great opportunities for professional development, such as going to professional Summits or trainings; meeting, networking and collaborating with other area behavioral health providers; getting involved with other organizations for additional employment opportunities, such as NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness); and meeting with and giving input to your local Department of Mental Health on services for clients. I was moved up pretty quickly too - I got my first promotion, going from a Group Facilitator to a Recovery Youth Leader (basically the Transitional Age Youth, or TAY Program Coordinator in my area) in about 11 months, with an increase in pay and hours (from 8 hours to 16 per week, and from $11 to my current payrate of $12 per hour). The company has great benefits for regular full-time and part-time positions, but unfortunately I can't take advantage of those (see below). They do offer me paid sick time, but I suspect that is only because of the Paid Sicktime law that was passed in Massachusetts in the past year. I get 1 hour of paid sicktime for every 30 hours worked.

Cons

I think it depends upon your job title, but with my promotion, I will have to move around a whole lot and work at different sites. My hours will be split between four different locations within my geographic area, and as I work only 16 hours per week for Vinfen, that means I will only spend 4 hours at each site. If you are OK with traveling, then that is not a drawback, but as I don't have a car of my own yet (I share with my fiance), I am struggling to figure out transportation. That brings me another negative - not having enough scheduled hours. As I mentioned above, I only work 16 hour per week for Vinfen. I keep saying "for Vinfen" because some of the extra hours I am picking up will be with NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness), which will hold groups hosted at Vinfen sites, but NAMI will be paying me separately for those hours. Again though, it will mean more travel, which is a struggle for me right now. I wish I could find a more stable position within Vinfen that gives me at least regular part-time hours (which are 30 hours per week at Vinfen - not 20, like other places), which would afford me benefits. That's the other thing I REALLY don't like - you get no benefits except for a 403(b) retirement plan, which Vinfen doesn't contribute to, unless you work 30 hours per week, and even then you only get part-time benefits. If there were a Peer Specialist position within Vinfen with regular, full-time, or at least regular part-time hours that came with benefits, I would be much happier. These negatives won't cause me to quit for now, but if the situation doesn't change, it will make me think about my future with the company. I need to be able to support myself.

Advice to Management

Give employees access to part-time benefits starting at 20 per week so they are better able support themselves, and make more positions meet the hours threshold to take advantage of those benefits! Also, do more to secure better funding to increase employee hours and salaries. I know it's easier said than done, but perhaps company-wide fundraisers would help? Being able to be a Peer Specialist with full-time, or at least the current regular part-time status of 30 hours per week, would ensure that I will want to stay for a nice, long-term career at Vinfen. I love the company, but I need to be able to support myself financially, and working only 16 hour per week with no benefits isn't going to do it.