Vinfen Employee Reviews about "sick time"

Updated Oct 18, 2016

Vinfen CEO Dr. Bruce L. Bird (no image)
Dr. Bruce L. Bird
Pros
  • "Good benefits, flexible hours, always an option for extra hours and overtime, amazing staff and manager(in 8 reviews)

• "They do offer me paid sick time, but I suspect that is only because of the Paid Sicktime law that was passed in Massachusetts in the past year(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is chronically understaffed with high turnover rate(in 11 reviews)

• "And like most social work, its high intensity and and relatively low pay and low benefits overall, with a high rate of burnout(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "sick time"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Company to Work For! Only a few drawbacks..."

4.0
    Current Employee - Recovery Youth Leader in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at Vinfen part-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience as an employee of Vinfen has been great thus far!!! I really like my co-workers and supervisor, I get paid for car mileage when traveling between work sites or to meetings outside of regular work hours, the pay is pretty good for human service workers (I make $12 per hour), and I love the clients I work with!! The training was pretty good, although you learn A LOT more on the job than in the New Employee Orientation, and if you have good co-workers and a good supervisor, you sure do learn a lot!!! Holding groups in the community, and not just at our work site, also keeps the work fun and interesting!! People seem to really enjoy the community groups. Also, there are opportunities to pick up extra hours, such as running extra groups, if you seek them out. Staff occasionally participates in some fun activities with clients, too - last summer, we took them on a whale watch, paid for by Vinfen!! There are also great opportunities for professional development, such as going to professional Summits or trainings; meeting, networking and collaborating with other area behavioral health providers; getting involved with other organizations for additional employment opportunities, such as NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness); and meeting with and giving input to your local Department of Mental Health on services for clients. I was moved up pretty quickly too - I got my first promotion, going from a Group Facilitator to a Recovery Youth Leader (basically the Transitional Age Youth, or TAY Program Coordinator in my area) in about 11 months, with an increase in pay and hours (from 8 hours to 16 per week, and from $11 to my current payrate of $12 per hour). The company has great benefits for regular full-time and part-time positions, but unfortunately I can't take advantage of those (see below). They do offer me paid sick time, but I suspect that is only because of the Paid Sicktime law that was passed in Massachusetts in the past year. I get 1 hour of paid sicktime for every 30 hours worked.

Cons

I think it depends upon your job title, but with my promotion, I will have to move around a whole lot and work at different sites. My hours will be split between four different locations within my geographic area, and as I work only 16 hours per week for Vinfen, that means I will only spend 4 hours at each site. If you are OK with traveling, then that is not a drawback, but as I don't have a car of my own yet (I share with my fiance), I am struggling to figure out transportation. That brings me another negative - not having enough scheduled hours. As I mentioned above, I only work 16 hour per week for Vinfen. I keep saying "for Vinfen" because some of the extra hours I am picking up will be with NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness), which will hold groups hosted at Vinfen sites, but NAMI will be paying me separately for those hours. Again though, it will mean more travel, which is a struggle for me right now. I wish I could find a more stable position within Vinfen that gives me at least regular part-time hours (which are 30 hours per week at Vinfen - not 20, like other places), which would afford me benefits. That's the other thing I REALLY don't like - you get no benefits except for a 403(b) retirement plan, which Vinfen doesn't contribute to, unless you work 30 hours per week, and even then you only get part-time benefits. If there were a Peer Specialist position within Vinfen with regular, full-time, or at least regular part-time hours that came with benefits, I would be much happier. These negatives won't cause me to quit for now, but if the situation doesn't change, it will make me think about my future with the company. I need to be able to support myself.

"residential counselor"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Natick, MA

I have been working at Vinfen full-time for more than a year

Pros

feel like you are helping and making a different good benefit sick time vacation

Cons

poor management hours ate either 9 to 5 or 3 to 11 no one wants to cover your shift pay sucks

Continue reading

"Good benefits but that's about it"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vinfen full-time for more than a year

Pros

3 weeks vacation after 6mo employment, 3 personal days and 1 week of sick time when you start.

Cons

Very disorganized, low pay for the amount of work/ daily stress. Management is typically unsupportive

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 3 reviews