KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Virgin America

Is this your company?

Virgin America

Add a Review

Virgin America Employee Reviews about "virgin america"

Updated Jun 10, 2018

Found 12 of over 338 reviews

3.8
Virgin America CEO C. David Cush
C. David Cush

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "virgin america"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0

Flight Attendant

Apr 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Virgin America hires AMAZING people and I will have life long friends from this company. I have also seen some beautiful places. They offer great health, dental and travel benefits and match our 401k 6%. The people team (human resources) is very helpful and reliable. As difficult of job as it is, I personally feel like a lot of the guests do appreciate my friendly nature and hard work.

Cons

Management plays favorites. They promote who they like and put the wrong people in charge. The people above me and in charge of in flight schedules don't care about the front line at all! We are worked to the bone and extremely underpaid. We do not meet industry standards, from the pay to the schedules. Our raises are $1 a year. Our gate agents raises are about 10 cents! Our QIP and Profit sharing are laughable. People work in the airlines for the flexibility of their schedules. You have zero flexibility here, unless it's a lucky day, and pretty much only at the SFO base. Vacation pay for us is worth 17 hours. We don't even have 4 day trips worth that credit. The only consistency here is inconsistency. Reserves are severely abused, working transcon red eye turns, worked into their days off, put on 24 hour rest on layovers to count as their days off, etc. We can't work 7 days in a row because of a 25.5 buffer rule the company put on us, where as the FAA has a 24/7 rule. The on demand ordering system has created a monster for us. I don't mind working hard, but pay me for it. The ordering never stops and neither does a long bathroom line clogging up the aisle. This company labels everything as a "grey area." If you have a problem and need to refer to the work rules, everything is basically a grey area. Unfortunately my work group voted down our only chance at a contract and I think the pilots are still working on one. Don't ever work for an airline without a union. You have zero job security without one and sadly this company will just let you go like you never meant anything to them. They have been sued many times for as a result. Last thing, pep rallies at HQ that you are required to attend and paid for less than half the time you're there.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Be Virgin, Create Wow, Elevate People!

Nov 6, 2013 - Guest Service Teammate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Free flights on Virgin America. -Discounted flights on other airlines. -Starting pay is higher than other airlines. -Comfortable uniforms designed by Banana Republic. -Monthly incentives/prizes to sell upgrades or other services. -Yearly training ('Refresh') at Headquarters in San Francisco can be looked at as a quick company-paid getaway. -The company genuinely tries to make it a fun work environment and throws parties or other events throughout the year.

Cons

-Yearly raises are very small. -Little room/opportunity for advancement. -Work schedules can be undesirable. Ex: 4am shift. -Each supervisor has their "favorites" who get priority when asking for days off and such. -Management style at each station varies, which can lead to each airport doing things differently or unequal.

3. 4.0

Its been swell

Jul 7, 2017 - In-Flight Teammate in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great teammate engagement, this company really feels like family. Good benefits, health and travel as well as a great 401k that matches 125% of contributions up to 6%.

Cons

The company was bought by Alaska Airlines so the culture is slowly dying. Virgin America was never the most competitive airline in terms of pay.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A wonderful place to get well-rounded experience

Oct 18, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team culture at Virgin America is special. Most people are aligned with the idea of creating an airline people love (to fly, work for, root for, etc). New ideas and innovation are prized. It's a wonderful place to take risks and learn a lot about many different topics. Leadership tends to be collaborative, open-minded, and inspiring. Work/life balance is exceptional. Generally 9-5:30. Travel benefits are fantastic - free standby for you, spouse, children, and your parents!

Cons

Career growth is limited, as it is a very flat organization (which is good in many ways). Promotions are tough to come by. Salaries are also on the lower side, as the airline industry is very competitive. It's tough to keep up with the cost of living.

5. 1.0

Not what it seems.

Jan 30, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The caliber of people you work with, frontline peeps (pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, mechanics), are the best I have come across in the industry. Guests getting off the airplane rave at our service, our airplanes, our attitude. That is not common at other airlines, even the most successful airlines in terms of money generally tick off passengers off in great numbers on a daily basis.

Cons

What you don't see... from the outside, is how inept management is at Virgin America. They started with a blank sheet of paper and has pretty much done everything they could do wrong in managing people, and done it in a big way. - Favoritism is rampant... snitch on a coworker? Well you just got a promotion! - Airlines are built on seniority, just like any other blue collar job. At VA, there are many examples in the Pilot and ITM ranks of seniority violations. Without a union, or honest management, there is nothing you can do about it. - The much vaunted 'open door policy' that is talked so much about before you come on board or when you are new, is bunk. They don't want to hear your opinion or new idea. You end up being told that you don't understand the complexities and thanks but no thanks. - Management targets employees, threatens, intimidates, etc. Some of these managers are gone, but we have some new ones that still do the same. - Company will actually pay you to quit. They talk about building a family, a team. But what team will pay a member a portion of their salary to no longer work there after they are no longer useful to them? ITMs have had opportunities to get 'bought out' after five years in exchange for resignation. - Pay is woefully under industry average. Pilots are 15-30% under industry average, ITMs (Flight Attendants) are even less. - Crew policy manuals are a 'guideline' that is changed frequently to suit the company's needs. - Managers are able to apply any kind of punishment they feel necessary. Companies of this type generally have a roadmap, or a chain of events set forth so that all parties can see what can happen given a situation. Not at VA, managers can do whatever they want. If you are a favorite, then great, if not... - Company says money is tight and that they can't afford to pay standard rates for the industry, yet they spend money like drunken sailors (no offense to any sailors out there). Parties for the favorites are common. Company holds a yearly reprogramming seminar over two days called 'Refresh'. Takes two months, all employees MUST attend. Hotels, food, drinks, vouchers... all provided by the company. What do we do during this session? Let's see, ball room dancing, putting on car tires, assembling food (not cooking) in the theme of Iron Chef or something similar, act in skits, bang on drums. Yeah, that's worth two days away from my family and DEFINITELY teaches me how to fly or fix an airplane better.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

Flight Dispatcher

Oct 19, 2017 - Flight Dispatcher in Burlingame, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s a great work environment with a fresh take on things. Virgin America was a great airline to work for with an amazing group of teammates.

Cons

Unfortunately, Virgin America’s brand is going away soon as it is now owned by Alaska Air Group.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

VXFOREVER

Jan 16, 2018 - In Flight Teammate in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Virgin America changed the airline industry on the West Coast and became a great competitor, the culture and brand was amazing, and it's sad to see it go.

Cons

None that I can state.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

Apr 10, 2018 - Manager in Burlingame, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Virgin America had great employee engagement activities. The HQ work environment had little down time--always working on multiple deadlines.

Cons

Understaffed, caused excessive workload. The annual employee goal assessment was designed to measure/manage long-term projects however, most projects were very short and not on the radar when the annual goals were established.

9. 2.0
    Current Employee

Great coworkers...not so great pay and only 10/15 cents/hour annual raises.

Feb 6, 2013 - Guest Service in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free flights on Virgin America and some other local carriers. Able to trade shifts pretty easily.

Cons

You pay an extremely high portion of your benefits out of pocket. Very little room to advance, you likely will have to move to another city to get ahead.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Guest Services Teammate

Jun 10, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the best co-workers I've ever had. Sweet people who just have a list for people and adventure., Virgin America was really good at selecting people who were flexible, honest, and fun. I enjoyed going to work and even now I still go on trips and adventures with the people I've met here.

Cons

Bought by Alaska Airlines. Boring, stuffy, old. Their managers are mean , they're associates are unnecessarily cold and rude to one another. The rift between guest facing and inflight positions is baffling. They are the most elitists people to work with.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews