Cover image for Virgin Galactic

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Virgin Galactic Employee Reviews about "9 80"

Updated Jul 11, 2021

What people are saying about Virgin Galactic

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "A few honest, authentic great people to work with; Others, plastic and backstabbing.(in 20 reviews)
  • "Benefits are great.(in 17 reviews)
  • "Great work/life balance(in 12 reviews)
  • "The pay is good and goes a long way since the cost of living is relatively low.(in 9 reviews)
  • "At it's height, Virgin had an amazing culture.(in 7 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Virgin Galactic and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "9 80"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing Company!!

Jul 11, 2021 - Senior Systems Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, benefits, and team mates. We all share a dream at Virgin and work together to make it a reality. In comparison to other company's I have worked with the benefits are the best I've seen in 25 years in Aerospace. The medical benefits show the care the company has for its employees wellbeing and health. These benefits take me back to the mid-1990's with respect to cost and co-pay. Standard 401(k) retirement and match with a bonus company funded deposit to the 401(k) whether you are contributing or not. Flexible work schedule (at least at my location) with a 9/80 schedule for salaried employees (M-Th 9 hour days, On-Fridays 8 hours, Off-Fridays every other week). I cannot say enough about the benefits at working at Virgin Galactic.

Cons

This is not really a Con per se, it just came as a surprise mainly. Some aspects of the hiring are more aligned with a UK mindset rather than US with respect to relocation. Specifically, the company does not cover relocation costs that other US based employers would. That being said, a lot of roles have been approved for remote work so that does mitigate the need to relocate and thus the cost of doing so. Also, at least in my case, my role included a signing bonus which did cover a majority of the costs in end.

4 people found this review helpful

Virgin Galactic Response

Welcome to our team! What an exciting year-one with us you have had. We appreciate the candid feedback on our relocation support and recommends of different models to consider. We would value additional thoughts you may have on our recruiting processes align more closely to the UK model. We love that you love our total reward offerings! We are purposeful to invest in our people and in various aspects of well-being from financial, healthcare, and mental wellbeing. Once again ... welcome to the team!

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, poor tech, poor leadership

Jun 5, 2021 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company was staffed by talented and passionate professionals. The culture was inclusive and welcoming. 9/80 schedule.

Cons

The vehicles are old and poorly designed in almost every aspect from Structures to Avionics. Management is always on the look out to solve today's crisis and has no time for fixes that will resolve the root cause. The same mistakes were copied and pasted into the more recent designs and just serve to continue kicking the can down the road. At the same time of providing massive schedule pressure, the company engineering support groups from IT to procurement to production control are have ineffective processes that serve to slow everything to a crawl. The engineers are expected to design around these limitations resulting in a subpar technical product.

3 people found this review helpful

Virgin Galactic Response

We love to read feedback that our Virgin Galactic culture continues to be inclusive and welcoming for all based on our experience over the last 3-4 years. We strive each day to ensure we sustain such a culture! Our people … our talent is the key to great success. Passion about our mission and our purpose is core. As our new President of Aerospace Systems works across the entire organization and Company, it is evident that our technology leaders will continue strive toward world-class in designing and building safe, security and reliable spaceships, rocket motors and motherships along with Six-Sigma process improvement as we execute and deliver. Thanks for your constructive feedback. We value all.

3. Join the Virgin Galactic team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

IT Top-Level and HR Dept have ZERO idea what they are doing

Dec 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and a 9/80 work schedule that will get you two three-day weekends a month. Also a Benny card that helps out on co-pays, and other medical related expenses

Cons

Top-level IT needs to go micromanagement and untrustworthy, yet unqualified to handle a password reset. HR Dept. Not qualified to handle an orange juice can

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

IT Applicants Beware

Nov 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great coworkers - 9/80 work schedule allows for much needed down time - It’s a job involving space!

Cons

- Untrusting management leads to constant micromanagement - Unprofessional/lack of leadership - No budget creates a constant reactionary environment - A career quagmire - Due to above aforementioned most projects are completed to get them done rather than completing a project correctly.

13 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Blah

Jul 7, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work here are fantastic. Laid back environment...9/80 work schedule is great, but we work most off Friday's.

Cons

Management is awful. Supervisors are just as bad. Teams are mislead and mismanaged. Little to no recognition or acknowledgment for the "hard workers".

13 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exciting Projects with Awesome Work/Life Balance

Jan 27, 2016 - Electrical Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exceptional people, happy & motivated culture, good team work ethic, hard problems with rewarding results, 9-80 work week in Mojave (every other Friday off), the sky is the limit - check your ego at the door and take ideas and run with them

Cons

Mojave isn't the most exciting place to LIVE, but it's the Silicon Valley of private space.

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Engineering dream job

Aug 25, 2014 - Aerospace Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with some of the brightest engineers in the field and use some pretty remarkable technology in our effort to get people to space. The environment is completely casual and light-hearted. Benefits are great, especially vacation - fresh college engineering graduates start with 3 weeks that they're encouraged to use. Mojave runs on a 9/80 schedule. Profit sharing happens if company goals are met. Richard Branson swings by a few times per year.

Cons

It is very difficult for someone to get fired here. Someone who has repeatably shown they cannot do their tasks, cannot budget time, are not motivated, and/or safety issues can rest assured that it takes a massive undertaking to get canned. Consequently, we're frequently stuck dealing with people who don't want to or can't help us.

8 people found this review helpful

Work at Virgin Galactic? Share Your Experiences

Virgin Galactic logo

Virgin Galactic Careers

Cover image for Virgin Galactic

We’re building the world’s first commercial spaceline. Split across multiple locations, we’re a team of hundreds of dedicated and...More

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

442 days ago

Company News
    Virgin Galactic is on a mission to dramatically increase the number of humans who’ve experienced the life-changing view of Earth from space. In achieving this mission, hundreds of new career opportunities will be created! Aparna Chitale, who joins the team this month as Virgin Galactic’s Chief People Officer, will play a vast role in supporting Virgin Galactic’s growth strategy. With over 20 years of strategic experience at multi-national organizations, Aparna has scaled and led global teams at both public and privately held companies. Get to know more about her career, and why she’s excited to join the team as we prepare to open space to more people.
    Shared image - Meet Aparna Chitale, Virgin Galactic's Chief People Officer - Virgin Galactic
    Meet Aparna Chitale, Virgin Galactic's Chief People Officer - Virgin Galactic
    www.virgingalactic.com

458 days ago

Careers
    Shooting for the stars: The story of Lexy Snell at Virgin Galactic. Be yourself and go together, work hard and dream big. That is Virgin’s people promise. Virgin has long inspired its employees to believe in themselves and realise their potential. And in the case of Lexy Snell, shoot for the stars… literally. Lexy Snell is Assistant Crew Chief at Virgin Galactic on Virgin SpaceShip Unity, but she did not start out that way. Raised in the state of New Mexico, much of Lexy’s upbringing was spent moving around trailer parks. For years she was unsure of what she wanted to be in life but she knew she wanted to be something.
    Shared image - Shooting for the stars: The story of Lexy Snell at Virgin Galactic | Virgin
    Shooting for the stars: The story of Lexy Snell at Virgin Galactic | Virgin
    www.virgin.com

Virgin Galactic Photos

+ Add Photo
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Spaceship Unity and Team
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Unity22 full crew of mission specialists and two pilots
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Richard Branson in space on #Unity22
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Unity in space during #Unity22
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Virgin Galactic's, Sirisha Bandla on #Unity22 spaceflight
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Virgin Galactic #Unity22 Mission Specialists

SpaceX

4.2

2,676 Reviews
    Compare

Glassdoor has 193 Virgin Galactic reviews submitted anonymously by Virgin Galactic employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Virgin Galactic is right for you.