Virgin Galactic Reviews in Mojave, CA | Glassdoor

Virgin Galactic CEO George Whitesides
George Whitesides

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Not like the other companies out there..."

I have been working at Virgin Galactic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a company where employees are rewarded for their hard work and success. You can feel the Virgin culture when you walk in the door. They offer monthly and/or weekly employee appreciation events where you can take a break and socialize with folks in the company that you normally wouldn't. It's super beneficial because a person can become ingrained with work and almost forget that you are part of a greater team.

Cons

It is a starter company with great potential for success. That being said, they are still implementing their processes and information systems. It can be unique for a person to wrap their head around. For those of us that have worked at a larger company, we almost take these systems for granted. But, it does give a person the ability to create which can't be said by the larger companies out there.

Advice to Management

Your communication to the workforce is greatly appreciated and noticed. Thank you!

"Pass me the Kool-Aid!"

Current Employee - Technician in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Mojave, CA

I have been working at Virgin Galactic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's been 3 years since joining VG and I've really loved my time here. There were always social events, challenging work, work life balance was second to none. People were engaging and friendly and the facility was convenient and well funded. We got to watch videos of Branson flying Balloons during Happy Hour. Balloons, not rockets.

Cons

Recently there is talk that in order to succeed VG can only sustain (1 in 100) failed launches. Since when did ANY rocket program have that type of operating margin forecast? Please.
    99% success rate operating margin? Absurd.

Advice to Management

Come clean on the business model.
    Come clean on the schedule.
    2017?? Maybe 2018- just before the Garage Sale.
    Come clean that a CEO who is NEVER there probably won't succeed.
    And why would he? He's NEVER there!

"Everything I Thought it Would Be - And More"

I have been working at Virgin Galactic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly a fun place to work. Management knows their stuff and is very supportive. Milestones are honored no matter how small. People are valued and feel valued. Everyone does his or her best to help you and get you what you need asap. Enthusiasm, teamwork, and people want to be there. Being in the cradle of aviation is amazing; lots of interesting things going on in the area. Lots of history here.

Cons

Location is currently in a cultural wasteland. Decent places to live are at least a 20 minute drive away. Schedule and location can be tough on families.

Advice to Management

Keep letting your employees know that you value them. Keep celebrating all the milestones. Keep being supportive!

"Exciting Projects with Awesome Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Mojave, CA

I have been working at Virgin Galactic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional people, happy & motivated culture, good team work ethic, hard problems with rewarding results, 9-80 work week in Mojave (every other Friday off), the sky is the limit - check your ego at the door and take ideas and run with them

Cons

Mojave isn't the most exciting place to LIVE, but it's the Silicon Valley of private space.

Advice to Management

Given the small size of the company, managers are often pulled in many directions and super busy. It would be nice to have a little more time to meet with managers and converse about projects, expectations, and timelines.

"Operational Services"

Current Employee - Assistant in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Mojave, CA

Pros

Fantastic company to work for.

Cons

No cons I am aware of yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Leadership lacking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

I worked at Virgin Galactic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great idea, opportunity to be a part of history

Cons

No capacity to lead or execute, faulty safety culture, media driven

Advice to Management

Learn from costly mistakes, turnover and employee concerns

"Very unlikely to succeed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

I worked at Virgin Galactic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most obvious "pro" is the appeal of the project. I mean, who wouldn't be excited about building a commercial space ship? Once you get a look under the hood of this program, that appeal fades quickly.

Cons

As another reviewer has pointed out, don't be fooled by the recent positive reviews. Many of them are from new employees working at the Long Beach L1 project. The Mojave operation is terribly mismanaged and has been for years now. The team is way understaffed and task saturated to the point where many important aspects are just glossed over and not given the proper attention to ensure safety or success. Top talent has been leaving in droves and the trend is accelerating. Seems like the good people last about 2 years before they get frustrated and move on. The company has consistently taken a very arrogant seat of the pants approach to everything, and this will likely be their downfall.

Advice to Management

It's sad to say, but this project is so far gone that even a leadership change from top to bottom probably won't be effective. 10 years of development with disappointing results speaks volumes about the potential for the success of this organization.

"11 years in the making and a competitor just beat Galactic to space. VG has failed."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

I have been working at Virgin Galactic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The act of getting into my car at the end of each day. That is the only 'PRO' that I can muster right now. The frustrations of uprooting my life and family for a company that works it's line staff to the bone, and yet only promotes those who already hold management titles, is something that I can no longer accept. VG management should prepare itself to see more of its lower level staff (the true backbone of the company) abandon ship.

Cons

Virgin Galactic has just been beat by another notable Space Tourism competitor. Work began on this project 11 years ago, so having another company reach the boundary of space before us should be seen as nothing more than a massive failure.

The project has become so mismanaged and people are constantly being promoted for no real reason, and the problems continually get worse. Perhaps the Board of Directors will now see where the problems stem from, and finally rid the company of its CEO, President, and Senior Managers, and recruit in those who are actually qualified to run this operation.

Advice to Management

Sort out the organizational structure and stop promoting those who do not deserve it. Senior Managers should be rightly promoted for achieving milestones on time. Rewarding people for long standing failures has clearly gotten VG no where. It is time to have a reality check and recognize your incompetence.

"Be Part of History"

Current Employee - Support Services in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Support Services in Mojave, CA

I have been working at Virgin Galactic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What we do is going to be an important part of history. Being part of the new technology. A great place for aviation enthusiasts. It's a fun work environment. Virgin embraces individuality.

Cons

Location - the Mojave area leaves much to be desired however LA, the mountains, and the beaches are easy day trips.

10. "Challenging but Great at the same time"

Former Employee - Stress Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Former Employee - Stress Engineer in Mojave, CA

Pros

The ability to be involved within every aspect of the project. As young engineer you really get the opportunity to get some hands on experience. I was challenged every day to figure out issues and to collaborate with peers. It felt like more of a classroom environment where you have the ability to be heard. I had the opportunity to work within a small team that was very dynamic and had good leadership. No one is stuck in their ways here, no big egos some egos but not big enough that it made life hard.

Cons

Location Mojave not the greatest, but if you want to be where things are at this is the place you have to be if your an aerospace engineer. Also they could've done better with career advancement, maybe spell it out better? But as a new start-up company you can expect this

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees equally. Felt at times if your weren't and engineer you weren't heard. Also set better timelines. Do more things to get offices integrated.