Cover image for Virgin Galactic

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Virgin Galactic Employee Reviews about "desert"

Updated Jun 6, 2021

2.7
Virgin Galactic CEO Michael Colglazier
Michael Colglazier
Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Add a review It only takes a second to share your experience. Your information will always be anonymous.

What people are saying about Virgin Galactic

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "A few honest, authentic great people to work with; Others, plastic and backstabbing.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Benefits are great.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Great work life balance(in 12 reviews)
  • "The pay is good and goes a long way since the cost of living is relatively low.(in 8 reviews)
  • "At it's height, Virgin had an amazing culture.(in 8 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Virgin Galactic and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "desert"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

A wonderful rotational internship that taught me a ton.

Mar 14, 2019 - Finance/Accounting Intern in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This was a super interesting work/learning environment. You get to communicate with some of the smartest people in the country and watch rockets being tested. How could it be any cooler than that?

Cons

It's in the desert. The commute can be long if you don't live in Mojave.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

N/A

Jun 6, 2021 - M&P Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You are able to work with a bunch of areas.

Cons

The location is in the desert which makes it a not as desirable destination

Virgin Galactic Response

Development of skills and our teammates’ overall experiences are critical as we continue to build and scale Virgin Galactic. We value your feedback that an employee within Virgin Galactic is able to work in various areas. That is what we strive for if such aligns with a teammate’s career development. Spaceport America and Mojave continue to expand and are making great strides in our new and current work locations to build out our people’s experience while on site. Keep up your great work and thank you for your feedback!

3. Join the Virgin Galactic team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Annonymous

Mar 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is everything! You are surrounded by hard working, talented and motivated individuals that possess a genuine passion for the goals we are in progress to achieve. Working in this type of environment has instilled a sense of purpose in me as I am challenged professionally and pushed to grow progressively. There is a real sense of transparency and openness within the organization and leaders are actively involved. Benefits are affordable and work life balance is encouraged. Cost of living in the area is affordable for California.

Cons

Location...Mojave of course isn't the most ideal location, but depending on how you look at your glass (half empty/half full) you can feel like you are centrally located to anywhere and everywhere or in the middle of nowhere. The desert has some of the most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen, if you are into that sort of thing.

7 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic Job in a Tough Location

Nov 25, 2017 - Mechanical Design Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tons of opportunity to define your career direction. The work is challenging and extremely varied - I manage almost all aspects of my projects from design to procurement to testing. Since it's a pretty small company you can have a lot of impact. The work is very motivating - you get to work on a spaceship! Most folks are there because they want to be there so there's a great team atmosphere.

Cons

The location - Mojave is in the middle of nowhere and if you want to live somewhere nice you have to be prepared for a long commute. In my experience most employees who leave do so because the desert gets to them (or to their significant other). Company management can sometimes be disorganized and some processes are oddly bureaucratic despite not involving a lot of people. It's a pretty flat hierarchy so not a lot of opportunity for 'formal' advancement (job title / compensation).

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Business Support Specialist

Jan 29, 2018 - Business Support Specialist in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company Culture! No matter who you are, or what your position is, you are greatly valued and supported from the top down. If you have an issue and work it through your chain of command they take it seriously and want to support you.

Cons

It is in the middle of the Mojave Desert. For many people this isn't a problem. This is the only reason I am not there any longer. I could not imagine my son growing up there and in those school systems.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

When you walk around, you meet happy people.

Aug 20, 2018 - Flight Test Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

We make spaceships. We design them, build them, and test them. It is great to be at a place where you see what you imagine grow into physical objects. People are happy with their work, and proud to be here. It's not every job that you have that you can think "we might be changing the world a bit- and for the better."

Cons

Spaceship is based in Mojave, CA. It is a desolate desert, so everyone lives 20-30 min away. It's a good place to test experimental aircraft, though.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Intern

Fast pace, very rewarding, and positive

Jul 26, 2018 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast pace atmosphere Great work life balance Everyone supports each other and is helpful Great mission

Cons

Long commute to the middle of the desert, not a whole lot nearby Understaffed

9. 4.0
    Former Intern

TSC

Jul 22, 2017 - Anonymous Intern in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company atmosphere and awesome coworkers trying to achieve something that has never been done. Housing paid for

Cons

Location of company is the only downside - Mojave desert.

10. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great Company, Great People

Oct 22, 2019 - Intern - Hourly
    Business Outlook

Pros

Had a great experience with the team.

Cons

Not much around in the desert itself, but plenty that is close around - LA, national parks, etc.

Viewing 1 - 0 of 0 English Reviews
Join the Virgin Galactic team
</>Embed

Popular Careers with Virgin Galactic Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Virgin Galactic? Share Your Experiences

Virgin Galactic Careers

Cover image for Virgin Galactic

We’re building the world’s first commercial spaceline. Split across multiple locations, we’re a team of hundreds of dedicated and...More

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

433 days ago

Company News
    Virgin Galactic is on a mission to dramatically increase the number of humans who’ve experienced the life-changing view of Earth from space. In achieving this mission, hundreds of new career opportunities will be created! Aparna Chitale, who joins the team this month as Virgin Galactic’s Chief People Officer, will play a vast role in supporting Virgin Galactic’s growth strategy. With over 20 years of strategic experience at multi-national organizations, Aparna has scaled and led global teams at both public and privately held companies. Get to know more about her career, and why she’s excited to join the team as we prepare to open space to more people.
    Shared image - Meet Aparna Chitale, Virgin Galactic's Chief People Officer - Virgin Galactic
    Meet Aparna Chitale, Virgin Galactic's Chief People Officer - Virgin Galactic
    www.virgingalactic.com

449 days ago

Careers
    Shooting for the stars: The story of Lexy Snell at Virgin Galactic. Be yourself and go together, work hard and dream big. That is Virgin’s people promise. Virgin has long inspired its employees to believe in themselves and realise their potential. And in the case of Lexy Snell, shoot for the stars… literally. Lexy Snell is Assistant Crew Chief at Virgin Galactic on Virgin SpaceShip Unity, but she did not start out that way. Raised in the state of New Mexico, much of Lexy’s upbringing was spent moving around trailer parks. For years she was unsure of what she wanted to be in life but she knew she wanted to be something.
    Shared image - Shooting for the stars: The story of Lexy Snell at Virgin Galactic | Virgin
    Shooting for the stars: The story of Lexy Snell at Virgin Galactic | Virgin
    www.virgin.com

Virgin Galactic Photos

+ Add Photo
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Spaceship Unity and Team
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Unity22 full crew of mission specialists and two pilots
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Richard Branson in space on #Unity22
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Unity in space during #Unity22
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Virgin Galactic's, Sirisha Bandla on #Unity22 spaceflight
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Virgin Galactic #Unity22 Mission Specialists

SpaceX

4.2

2,664 Reviews
    Compare

Glassdoor has 191 Virgin Galactic reviews submitted anonymously by Virgin Galactic employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Virgin Galactic is right for you.