Cover image for Virgin Galactic

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Virgin Galactic Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 19, 2021

What people are saying about Virgin Galactic

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great.(in 20 reviews)
  • "A few honest, authentic great people to work with; Others, plastic and backstabbing.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Great work life balance(in 12 reviews)
  • "Good culture(in 11 reviews)
  • "The pay is good and goes a long way since the cost of living is relatively low.(in 8 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Virgin Galactic and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Where passion and career meet

Sep 22, 2017 - Lead Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great People. Undeniably inspiring mission. Growth and Development galore. My professional and personal goals are perfectly aligned!

Cons

The company is struggling to strike a balance between the need to deliver on some big goals that we have been promising for a long time, and the desire to continue being the small company that takes "work life balance" and family as a top priority.

2. 2.0
    Current Employee

Underpaid

Oct 19, 2021 - Materials Handler in Las Cruces, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits Decent pay, although it's substandard for the aerospace industry, for the area it's decent.

Cons

This is not a Virgin Company and they do not have the Virgin Values. Require you to travel 2 hours per day, which works out to 8 hours per week, that they don't compensate you for. They say they offer a shuttle, but that doesn't solve the problem that we still are unpaid for 2 hours out of everyday that we aren't with our families. Pay is on the lower end for the industry. Work life balance is almost non-existent even though they will preach they focus on employee well being. Most of all, they hire talent from inside, leaving behind employees stuck in positions they're trying to get out of.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Virgin Galactic team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overworked all the time

Oct 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great industry, concepts are great

Cons

Work life balance is non-existing. Management doesn’t know how to lead

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Best experience turned nightmare

Sep 7, 2021 - Prefer Not To Say in Mojave, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

At it's height, Virgin had an amazing culture. It was family oriented, the people were amazing, and egos were (mostly) in check. They applauded creativity, let you carve your own path in the company, and offered some amazing benefits (snacks, free professional development, company clubs, etc.). I was able to increase my knowledge base and stretch my abilities simply for the fact that upper management was of the believe of just "going for it" which was EXCELLENT for so many people. We were able to be creative, think of new solutions, and even made things that nobody else in the world was doing! The benefits at the company (health, 401K, etc.) were great at the time but they are now starting to become outdated as other start up companies are offering things like tuition assistance, professional development, etc. VG used to be a fun place to work, which breed happy employees who turned out quality stuff. Everyone in management (CEO, president, directors, etc) HAD open door policies where anyone and everyone could address their concerns. People there genuinely believe in the mission to bring people to space, which fosters comradery.

Cons

This is not a Virgin company. If you go to ANY OTHER Virgin company, you would know what I mean. There is no bottom-up accountability with management, only top down punishment... which it used to never be that way. There is ZERO consistency with policy as some individuals get hand slaps for things that others get fired for. Ya'll fired a guy for "racism" yet did nothing about another employee who openly sexually harassed another. This kind of inconsistency IS SO RAMPANT AT THE COMPANY that it's become laughable. They used to say "check your ego at the door" which used to be enforced and now it's just accepted. People went from one big family to a pack of wolves, who will eat their own... very cult-like. Middle management blows company money on dumb things like dinners and pointless swag... there is zero accountability for them. Upper management is out of touch with the little guys, so busy chasing stakeholders needs than realizing their company is built upon the little guy. They push so hard for deadlines that they're going to have more errors occur and it will delay the project further. It's no longer about creating a quality product, but about making time lines and focusing on appearance of the brand. It's ALLLLL about the brand now... the brand is more important than safety. This place was amazing to work for at one point in time, but then it quickly became an absolute nightmare with zero work life balance and everyone turning on each other because of that fact. There is not enough free artesian coffee in the WORLD that VG could spoon feed me that would make me put up with that level of toxicity ever again. I cannot express this enough... This... place... is... TOXIC... and the sad truth is that it never used to be that way. So sad to watch what used to be a dream to work for become a nightmare.

9 people found this review helpful

Virgin Galactic Response

Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this. We take your concerns very seriously. Harassment is not tolerated at Virgin Galactic and is a violation of the Company’s code of conduct as well as state and federal law. We are committed to investigating claims of harassment and taking appropriate action. And we want to be clear that maintaining a robust and meaningful safety culture is essential to our success. It’s our North Star. These are two areas where we will not compromise on our values. We’re committed to making Virgin Galactic a great place to work, and we agree that everything starts with how you treat your employees. We’ll continue striving to create an open door culture at Virgin Galactic, and we’d love to hear from you on this. If you’re open to discussing the concerns you raised further, please email people@virgingalactic.com.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Workaholic Culture, Expect to Work Weekends/Night

Jul 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work long enough, you can be promoted to high places. Great comp and ben packages, great for people without any family

Cons

Don't believe them that there's work life balance. This is type the work culture where your job is your everything and nothing else in your life is as important. HR there is great, but the silos don't operate the same way HR promotes their company.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Intern

Great People

Sep 24, 2019 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people Incredible mission Great work/life balance

Cons

To some, the work/life balance leans too heavy on life.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Come work with the best!

Sep 23, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company has some very ambitious goals and attracts some of the best people in the industry. I'm fortunate in my position to deal with employees from every department and a great deal of people from the other Virgin Group companies and everyone is excited to see this project through. I have never been surrounded by such an amazing team of individuals. Work / life balance is good and the company does provide events throughout the year to keep up morale and the team motivated.

Cons

While the team is filled with top notch people sometimes communication can be difficult as everyone is driven to move the project forward. It can be challenging to get some team leaders to take a pause to provide a substantial update. Work / life balance can be a bit compromised as well when getting close to major milestones but that would likely happen anywhere. Support team can feel mildly unappreciated at times but most of the team does understand the value these employees add.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee

Don't Be Fooled

Sep 11, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Brilliant line staff of engineering, fabricators, sales, techs, mechanics. Had a chance to bond with a few of the staff, and felt like family. This level of the staff is motivated and is dedicated to succeed with high motivation. I also had a few opportunities to learn new skills and interact with new folks & make new professional connections. Low level managers recognize the need for additional training.

Cons

The only thing that VG does well is marketing, they are fooling everybody. The entire project is being hamstrung by most of the VP level executives and above. It's very much a "good-ol-boy" club, and if you don't kiss the right butts there, you won't succeed. According to my friends/sources still there, turnover is incredibly high and is accelerating. You will find yourself fired very fast and for no reason if you try to do the right thing and it's against what senior staff wants to hear. Sir Richard has NO IDEA what's really happening at VG. The only time he shows is when needs some fresh PR. Favoritism & inequity runs rampant. No work/life balance at all. If you have a family, don't expect to see them much. I've never been part of a project that burns through so much cash with no real results before VG. They are YEARS and YEARS away from flying. If you're thinking about applying or accepting a job - do yourself a favor: DO NOT WORK HERE!

18 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 22 of 22 English Reviews
</>Embed

Popular Careers with Virgin Galactic Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Virgin Galactic? Share Your Experiences

Virgin Galactic Careers

Cover image for Virgin Galactic

We’re building the world’s first commercial spaceline. Split across multiple locations, we’re a team of hundreds of dedicated and...More

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

429 days ago

Company News
    Virgin Galactic is on a mission to dramatically increase the number of humans who’ve experienced the life-changing view of Earth from space. In achieving this mission, hundreds of new career opportunities will be created! Aparna Chitale, who joins the team this month as Virgin Galactic’s Chief People Officer, will play a vast role in supporting Virgin Galactic’s growth strategy. With over 20 years of strategic experience at multi-national organizations, Aparna has scaled and led global teams at both public and privately held companies. Get to know more about her career, and why she’s excited to join the team as we prepare to open space to more people.
    Shared image - Meet Aparna Chitale, Virgin Galactic's Chief People Officer - Virgin Galactic
    Meet Aparna Chitale, Virgin Galactic's Chief People Officer - Virgin Galactic
    www.virgingalactic.com

444 days ago

Careers
    Shooting for the stars: The story of Lexy Snell at Virgin Galactic. Be yourself and go together, work hard and dream big. That is Virgin’s people promise. Virgin has long inspired its employees to believe in themselves and realise their potential. And in the case of Lexy Snell, shoot for the stars… literally. Lexy Snell is Assistant Crew Chief at Virgin Galactic on Virgin SpaceShip Unity, but she did not start out that way. Raised in the state of New Mexico, much of Lexy’s upbringing was spent moving around trailer parks. For years she was unsure of what she wanted to be in life but she knew she wanted to be something.
    Shared image - Shooting for the stars: The story of Lexy Snell at Virgin Galactic | Virgin
    Shooting for the stars: The story of Lexy Snell at Virgin Galactic | Virgin
    www.virgin.com

Virgin Galactic Photos

+ Add Photo
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Spaceship Unity and Team
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Unity22 full crew of mission specialists and two pilots
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Richard Branson in space on #Unity22
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Unity in space during #Unity22
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Virgin Galactic's, Sirisha Bandla on #Unity22 spaceflight
    Virgin Galactic photo of: Virgin Galactic #Unity22 Mission Specialists

SpaceX

4.2

2,662 Reviews
    Compare

Glassdoor has 191 Virgin Galactic reviews submitted anonymously by Virgin Galactic employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Virgin Galactic is right for you.