Virgin Pulse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
David Osborne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great atmosphere to work in and great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong culture - amazing energy!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good sense of company values which are cascaded throughout the organization.
    Tons of momentum in an emerging HCM category!
    Improved work/life blend.

Cons

Challenged to do more, with less.

Advice to Management

Whatever you're doing in 2017 to move the needle forward, please continue to keep it up in 2018! Win Wellbeing!

Nov 27, 2017 – SVP of People

Nice to see a Rhode Island review, since we officially launch our new super-cool HQ in Providence tomorrow.
    Energy and engagement go hand in hand, and I'm glad we're motivating you. We pushed... More

2. "Great first few months"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

I started at Virgin Pulse January this year. So far:
    -The office is amazing in Providence. Lots of great work spaces/area to collaborate
    -The work is challenging and rewarding
    -Seems like there are lots of growth opportunities within the company
    -Folks here really believe in the product we put out

Cons

-Some growing pains (to be expected with a fast growing company)
    -Haven't gotten to met the CEO or most of the Executive Leadership team yet

Advice to Management

To the ELT. Spend a bit more time on professional development and just general face time with employees. A little goes a long way. People like to work hard for folks that invest in their development and make an effort to meet/know them. We aren't so big that that is an impossible ask.

Apr 2, 2018 – SVP of People

hi - thanks for the feedback. You certainly joined at a busy time - we acquired 2 new businesses in January, our huge Annual Industry event (Thrive) launches next week in Miami, and we also launched... More

"Too Many Balls in the Air"

Former Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A lot of great people invested in the product; although those same folks are leaving the company more and more.
    -Solid mission statement: let's try and make people healthier and more productive in their day-to-day lives.
    -New HQ space in Providence, RI is nice looking; though moving the company outside of MA, which was announced as a talent acquisition strategy, is a bit odd when you consider the pipeline of talent surging through Boston-area colleges. No disrespect to Brown or Providence. :D

Cons

-Growing pains are leading to noticeable turnover. Tough to tout to the market that VP solutions can help improve employee retention when our own people are leaving in droves.
    -Unclear product direction/future. Makes it tough to market/sell.
    -Addressable market for their product solutions is smaller than originally thought but internal sales goals do not reflect that. Unreasonable KPIs/quota in certain regions.

Advice to Management

Take note of the growing exodus of talent. Something is clearly wrong.

"Growing exodus of talent leaving as fast as possible"

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A place to work, lot of talented people, new office in Providence, cool idea for a product, fun industry to be in

Cons

Huge masses of people leaving, still don’t listen to employees (the way they respond to these reviews is a great example), and they assume anyone who leaves is leaving because they don’t believe in the mission. But people are leaving because of poor management, no growth opportunities, and sick of management doing nothing. They don’t even respect these reviews, just read the way they respond and you can tell.

Advice to Management

Same as everyone else - listen to employees. Look at how many people are leaving. So many talented people leaving or planning to leave soon, maybe it’s time to do something different?

"No Scalable Model For Growth"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

New Providence office, ability to travel

Cons

This place has all the wrong people in management positions. There isn't much room for growth or career development, and they've been experiencing severe growing pains since they started acquiring new companies. Complete lack of training, and not enough documentation.

Advice to Management

Your old way of doing things no longer gets the job done; it's not a scalable model. You can't just sell your way out of every problem. Focus more on your product and your workforce.

Apr 2, 2018 – SVP of People

Hi - I'd love you to reach out to us directly to tell us what training you think you are missing. All employees go through 2 days of company onboarding, then each department takes over for technical... More

"A place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA

Pros

If you like the “team spirit” aspect of companies, this is the place for you.

Flexible with work-life balance

Interesting application

Cons

Focus is scattered. Are we improving the base platform or adding new features for new clients?

No clear career progress paths

"Buggy Software & Broken Processes"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Providence, RI

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and salary are okay

Cons

This a very poorly managed company. Lots of spinning in place and very little accountability

Advice to Management

Take more into consideration than just the bottom line

"Exciting growth with some growing pains"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

Tremendous corporate growth, good opportunities to learn.

Cons

The typical growing pains that come with growth stage companies.

Feb 9, 2018 – SVP of People

....and it looks like we'll be growing even faster this year, with two recent acquisitions. We've learnt a lot from the previous two acquisitions, and we're confident that we can minimize the pain... More

"Not a friendly environment to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Wellness and Healthy life is the mission of the company
    - Lot of team members
    - Walking treadmills and gyms

Cons

- Management is not flexible for work-life balance
    - Not a great place to learn and grow
    - Projects are not assigned to you based on your skillset
    - No clear direction - for company and product

Feb 9, 2018 – SVP of People

hi - sorry your experience in some really important areas wasn't so great. We were rolling out training primarily aimed at management in 2017, but that is broadening to all our employees in... More

"Overall, great place to work"

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Virgin Pulse is all about company values, and thus fosters a great sense of company culture within it's offices . Many of the pros come from being part of the Virgin group (& the perks that come with that alone...brand recognition, fun culture etc.), but overall, the people you work with on a daily basis are the best part of working there (all extremely smart, innovative and pretty damn cool).

Cons

Pros are nice, but cons often say a lot about the company. While Virgin Pulse was outwardly promoting company values and a strong sense of culture, transparency often lacked and thus led to frustration, confusion and uncertainty about the future. Also, if you're looking for professional development and a company where you can look to grow, Virgin Pulse doesn't offer much of that (outside of some movement across the sales team).

Advice to Management

There's always room for improvement, and being that employees are at the heart of what your business does, you should definitely take more time to assess where your employees are at, outside of the engagement surveys. Or even if you stick with the engagement surveys, take more time to make survey debriefs more important. While there I had taken countless surveys, however never once did I feel like they were talked about in a constructive way.

Nov 27, 2017 – SVP of People

Thanks for the feedback - especially about our Engagement Surveys. I agree we haven't done as much with them in the past as we could, but we are working on getting better, and the ELT recently added... More