Virgin Pulse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
David Osborne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible with work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great atmosphere to work in and great people to work with" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong culture - amazing energy!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good sense of company values which are cascaded throughout the organization.
    Tons of momentum in an emerging HCM category!
    Improved work/life blend.

Cons

Challenged to do more, with less.

Advice to Management

Whatever you're doing in 2017 to move the needle forward, please continue to keep it up in 2018! Win Wellbeing!

Nov 27, 2017 – SVP of People

Nice to see a Rhode Island review, since we officially launch our new super-cool HQ in Providence tomorrow.
    Energy and engagement go hand in hand, and I'm glad we're motivating you. We pushed... More

2. "Rewarding and Fun Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Interesting software that you can relate to.
    -Always something new you can learn and work on.
    -Days go by really fast
    -Work with fun people you can joke around with
    -Startup feel, without actually being a startup anymore
    -Tech stack is always evolving
    -Offices are all nice

Cons

-A lot of work to be don’t with changing direction sometimes. Company has been doing a better job, but still an area to improve on
    -Growing, so interesting to see if culture changes at all. So far so good though.
    -Some clients dictate too much of the product road map, or change it. Is this really worth it?

Advice to Management

As we grow remember to keep focus on culture, employees, and road map.

"Great first few months"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

I started at Virgin Pulse January this year. So far:
    -The office is amazing in Providence. Lots of great work spaces/area to collaborate
    -The work is challenging and rewarding
    -Seems like there are lots of growth opportunities within the company
    -Folks here really believe in the product we put out

Cons

-Some growing pains (to be expected with a fast growing company)
    -Haven't gotten to met the CEO or most of the Executive Leadership team yet

Advice to Management

To the ELT. Spend a bit more time on professional development and just general face time with employees. A little goes a long way. People like to work hard for folks that invest in their development and make an effort to meet/know them. We aren't so big that that is an impossible ask.

Apr 2, 2018 – SVP of People

hi - thanks for the feedback. You certainly joined at a busy time - we acquired 2 new businesses in January, our huge Annual Industry event (Thrive) launches next week in Miami, and we also launched... More

"Practicing what you preach."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has a great mission, terrific market position, and used to be a very inclusive and enabling place for people with ideas and enthusiasm to excel. There are a ton of terrific folks who work for this company, and they keep it rolling forward because of mutual respect and professionalism.

Cons

Sadly, there are some leaders that are the antithesis of what the company mission embodies, and that has hurt the performance and outlook of many employees who really wanted to make a difference, contribute new and lasting ideas for the product, the services and the marketing and voice of the company. Work/life balance is advertised, but not in practice at all. Not uncommon to get nasty emails or IMs from executive leadership at all hours. No upward mobility particularly in Product and Marketing. Team priorities, KPIs and directives change on a dime and no one wins. Pervasive atmosphere of "who do we blame" breeds distrust of management and high stress. I've never worked anywhere more toxic.

Advice to Management

Trust that you have hired great people. Let them do their job. Leave them alone on weekends and late at night. Spend some time learning about the market and understanding the sales and customer process better. You'll get where you want to go from a business perspective with your current pressure cooker, but you won't have people that stick around for very long.

"Too Many Balls in the Air"

Former Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A lot of great people invested in the product; although those same folks are leaving the company more and more.
    -Solid mission statement: let's try and make people healthier and more productive in their day-to-day lives.
    -New HQ space in Providence, RI is nice looking; though moving the company outside of MA, which was announced as a talent acquisition strategy, is a bit odd when you consider the pipeline of talent surging through Boston-area colleges. No disrespect to Brown or Providence. :D

Cons

-Growing pains are leading to noticeable turnover. Tough to tout to the market that VP solutions can help improve employee retention when our own people are leaving in droves.
    -Unclear product direction/future. Makes it tough to market/sell.
    -Addressable market for their product solutions is smaller than originally thought but internal sales goals do not reflect that. Unreasonable KPIs/quota in certain regions.

Advice to Management

Take note of the growing exodus of talent. Something is clearly wrong.

"Growing exodus of talent leaving as fast as possible"

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A place to work, lot of talented people, new office in Providence, cool idea for a product, fun industry to be in

Cons

Huge masses of people leaving, still don’t listen to employees (the way they respond to these reviews is a great example), and they assume anyone who leaves is leaving because they don’t believe in the mission. But people are leaving because of poor management, no growth opportunities, and sick of management doing nothing. They don’t even respect these reviews, just read the way they respond and you can tell.

Advice to Management

Same as everyone else - listen to employees. Look at how many people are leaving. So many talented people leaving or planning to leave soon, maybe it’s time to do something different?

"No Scalable Model For Growth"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

New Providence office, ability to travel

Cons

This place has all the wrong people in management positions. There isn't much room for growth or career development, and they've been experiencing severe growing pains since they started acquiring new companies. Complete lack of training, and not enough documentation.

Advice to Management

Your old way of doing things no longer gets the job done; it's not a scalable model. You can't just sell your way out of every problem. Focus more on your product and your workforce.

Apr 2, 2018 – SVP of People

Hi - I'd love you to reach out to us directly to tell us what training you think you are missing. All employees go through 2 days of company onboarding, then each department takes over for technical... More

"A place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA

Pros

If you like the “team spirit” aspect of companies, this is the place for you.

Flexible with work-life balance

Interesting application

Cons

Focus is scattered. Are we improving the base platform or adding new features for new clients?

No clear career progress paths

"Buggy Software & Broken Processes"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Providence, RI

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and salary are okay

Cons

This a very poorly managed company. Lots of spinning in place and very little accountability

Advice to Management

Take more into consideration than just the bottom line

"Exciting growth with some growing pains"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

Tremendous corporate growth, good opportunities to learn.

Cons

The typical growing pains that come with growth stage companies.

Feb 9, 2018 – SVP of People

....and it looks like we'll be growing even faster this year, with two recent acquisitions. We've learnt a lot from the previous two acquisitions, and we're confident that we can minimize the pain... More