Virgin Pulse Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 13, 2019

3.1
David Osborne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible with work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great atmosphere to work in and great people to work with" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is tough within client success" (in 10 reviews)

• "Some growing pains (to be expected with a fast growing company)" (in 8 reviews)

"Appreciate this company."

Current Employee - Director in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Director in Providence, RI

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has gone through so much growth and change over the years yet they still are able to keep the culture positive and supportive of growth through mergers, acquisitions, and hyper growth.

Cons

Some departments have less support and the employees are feeling the pressure that will lead to turn-over until something is done to address the root issue.

Advice to Management

Continue to care about your employees, live by Richard Branson: "Take care of your employees, and they will take care of you business"... could not be more true.

2. "Good place to learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company so more learning

Cons

Teams are very big and spread across. Not a good agile practice

3. "Sales"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

Great people, clear mission, very collaborative environment

Cons

With the growth and acquisitions this year there are many new people, so knowing where to go to get things done takes a bit more time.

Advice to Management

Keep eye on the ball and continue to focus on integration efficiencies and constant communication.

"Wasted too much time here, stay far away if you care about your career!"

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice office, growing quickly in RI

Cons

- The majority of the ELT are a bunch of self-entitled, power hungry, narcissistic people that do nothing but belittle and berate others within the company with no context of the actual issues. On more than one occasion, I witnessed upper management scream at employees in the middle of the office, which was mortifying. It happened again less than a month later.

- Some of the male upper level management say inappropriate things to female subordinates. Things that are just enough to make you uncomfortable, but you laugh it off because you don't want to report it and lose your job? Yup, it's that kind of environment. A total boys club. Little to no action is taken on issues reported to HR.

- There are some smart, talented, and passionate people that work here, and a couple of them have even been promoted into middle management positions at VP. The problem there? They receive NO training or guidance on how to manage people, and they end up providing no feedback on performance, no direction on expectations of your role, etc. Just because someone is a good worker, DOES NOT mean that they will be a good manager. Telling an employee "I like you as a person, but..." when you are providing "feedback" is completely unprofessional.

- Little to no growth opportunity within the company. Underpaid and overworked.

Advice to Management

Clean house with the executive leadership, bring back Chris Boyce, do SOMETHING because you are going downhill fast. The smart people are leaving. The skeevy, boys clubs members and the lazy employees that don't want to look yet are staying. Your workplace is toxic.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

A lot of exciting changes with a fast growing company, amazingly talented co-workers, and lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Some growing pains to work through with the fast growth - but nothing major.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"who knows?"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

- decent collaboration probably best worldwide I've worked for
    - career path if you want it, patient, and most importantly work for it
    - leadership has a growth strategy and generally it's working

Cons

- turmoil amongst the growth.. pretty standard can't blame em
    - kinda lost... reality vs. desires vs. perception - what are we doing anyway?
    - acquisition dilution, lots of integration issues and cultural struggles/ineffeciancies
    - career growth does not exist for 9-5ers, should it??
    - uncertain that anyone actually listens to anyone, noisy on all fronts

Advice to Management

We need to redefine our BHAG (big hairy audacious goal). Decide if we value people to deliver financial goals or if we value financial goals to deliver people. But hey, it's not that bad! Most of all, let's not hide or deny our problems and just keep moving forward... employees just want to live in realityville, not crazytown.

"Don't Work Here"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Snacks, New Office, PTO plan

Cons

No room for advancement, lots of politics, no work life balance, always more work than you can handle, not an adequate level of app support for paying clients

Advice to Management

You need to rethink your strategy

"not great, not bad"

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

friendly and smart coworkers, many people willing to help, PVD office new and nice, good time flexibility at work

Cons

low investment in people and resources, poor treatment of certain teams, imbalance of salaries, lack of genuineness and honesty, teams don't focus on quality, poor direction by upper management and leadership, seems to have lost its mission, many people here living stressful and unhealthy lifestyles

"Virgin Burnout"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool facility in Providence, cool product, Virgin brand is appealing. Some on the ELT are friendly and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. There are some really awesome people there that I consider friends.

Cons

Middle management was horrible. So much turn over and work just keeps getting dumped on people with little or no training. Saw higher turnover at VP than a junior law firm. Huge exodus and middle management hides it cuz they know they are the problem for just treating people poorly. Also the site is literally down all the time and it’s awkward having to tell clients this when they only care about the site working. Be prepared to get berated on calls when management shows up. In fact, client called me after call to ask if they could report to VP how poorly the VP person acted on the call to me—it was my manager who was intolerable... yikes! Try to explaining that for wellness!

Sometimes it felt like being back in high school all over again. When I told my manager I was going to leave, said I would never get a job again and proceeded to berate me for an hour. Pretty much made my life hell the last 2 weeks and said that everyone hated me for leaving. Was this a cult or something? Reported issue to HR and they did nothing except say they would document it.

Happy to purge VP from my memory and happy to work with people who respect me now.

Advice to Management

Look at the satisfaction numbers of employees, it’s painfully obvious where the problem is. If VP wants to meet the tax credit quota, VP needs to be serious on a real employee retention strategy. Conduct true exit surveys when an employee leaves not some survey that no one fills out cuz they are so frustrated with VP and want to bolt. Slowly getting out how bad it’s been for some people joining VP and do be a company of choice.

"It’s not worth your life"

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

The new Providence office and downtown location are great.

Cons

Sir Richard himself, founder of the Virgin group, touts the benefits of working from home and flexible work arrangements, as do all of our industry thought leaders. We are a Virgin tech company - you’d think we’d be with the times, right?

So wrong. Working from home is “not allowed” because it seems no one is trusted to do their job (as seen by the biggest micromanagement culture I’ve ever witnessed) and because they want a “buzzing office.” Enjoy that buzz. We have already outgrown the space and we are basically a glorified call center where you can’t concentrate or hear yourself think. They are expanding the office, but it’s only a matter of time before we overflow again because we are hellbent on expanding as fast as possible.

How can they be so out of touch with what their employees want? Oh, that’s right - because they truly don’t care if you quit, as seen by the masses of great talent exiting the business. They would rather replace you with a cheap new hire.

There are horror stories about the Marketing and Product departments. Unless you want to be on anti depressants, anti anxiety meds, and start going to therapy sessions, I’d stay far away if you want to keep your sanity.

Much, much more to say, but I’ll keep it to those main points.

Advice to Management

To the CEO in particular - please get over yourself. Try to actually listen to the reasons people are leaving and take positive action (no, adding more “learning and development” won’t fix the numerous fundamental problems). Get with the times and embrace a flexible work environment which fosters trust and positivity. Trust people to do their jobs. I know this is a hard one - but try being a decent, compassionate human being. There is more to life than money and power.

Virgin Pulse Response

Aug 17, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

We certainly understand that working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment that demands quick thinking and brainstorming is not for everyone and we wish you the best in finding an environment... More