Virgin Pulse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
David Osborne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible with work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great atmosphere to work in and great people to work with" (in 5 reviews)

"Appreciate this company."

Current Employee - Director in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Director in Providence, RI

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has gone through so much growth and change over the years yet they still are able to keep the culture positive and supportive of growth through mergers, acquisitions, and hyper growth.

Cons

Some departments have less support and the employees are feeling the pressure that will lead to turn-over until something is done to address the root issue.

Advice to Management

Continue to care about your employees, live by Richard Branson: "Take care of your employees, and they will take care of you business"... could not be more true.

"who knows?"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

- decent collaboration probably best worldwide I've worked for
    - career path if you want it, patient, and most importantly work for it
    - leadership has a growth strategy and generally it's working

Cons

- turmoil amongst the growth.. pretty standard can't blame em
    - kinda lost... reality vs. desires vs. perception - what are we doing anyway?
    - acquisition dilution, lots of integration issues and cultural struggles/ineffeciancies
    - career growth does not exist for 9-5ers, should it??
    - uncertain that anyone actually listens to anyone, noisy on all fronts

Advice to Management

We need to redefine our BHAG (big hairy audacious goal). Decide if we value people to deliver financial goals or if we value financial goals to deliver people. But hey, it's not that bad! Most of all, let's not hide or deny our problems and just keep moving forward... employees just want to live in realityville, not crazytown.

"not great, not bad"

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

friendly and smart coworkers, many people willing to help, PVD office new and nice, good time flexibility at work

Cons

low investment in people and resources, poor treatment of certain teams, imbalance of salaries, lack of genuineness and honesty, teams don't focus on quality, poor direction by upper management and leadership, seems to have lost its mission, many people here living stressful and unhealthy lifestyles

"Virgin Burnout"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool facility in Providence, cool product, Virgin brand is appealing. Some on the ELT are friendly and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. There are some really awesome people there that I consider friends.

Cons

Middle management was horrible. So much turn over and work just keeps getting dumped on people with little or no training. Saw higher turnover at VP than a junior law firm. Huge exodus and middle management hides it cuz they know they are the problem for just treating people poorly. Also the site is literally down all the time and it’s awkward having to tell clients this when they only care about the site working. Be prepared to get berated on calls when management shows up. In fact, client called me after call to ask if they could report to VP how poorly the VP person acted on the call to me—it was my manager who was intolerable... yikes! Try to explaining that for wellness!

Sometimes it felt like being back in high school all over again. When I told my manager I was going to leave, said I would never get a job again and proceeded to berate me for an hour. Pretty much made my life hell the last 2 weeks and said that everyone hated me for leaving. Was this a cult or something? Reported issue to HR and they did nothing except say they would document it.

Happy to purge VP from my memory and happy to work with people who respect me now.

Advice to Management

Look at the satisfaction numbers of employees, it’s painfully obvious where the problem is. If VP wants to meet the tax credit quota, VP needs to be serious on a real employee retention strategy. Conduct true exit surveys when an employee leaves not some survey that no one fills out cuz they are so frustrated with VP and want to bolt. Slowly getting out how bad it’s been for some people joining VP and do be a company of choice.

"It’s not worth your life"

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

The new Providence office and downtown location are great.

Cons

Sir Richard himself, founder of the Virgin group, touts the benefits of working from home and flexible work arrangements, as do all of our industry thought leaders. We are a Virgin tech company - you’d think we’d be with the times, right?

So wrong. Working from home is “not allowed” because it seems no one is trusted to do their job (as seen by the biggest micromanagement culture I’ve ever witnessed) and because they want a “buzzing office.” Enjoy that buzz. We have already outgrown the space and we are basically a glorified call center where you can’t concentrate or hear yourself think. They are expanding the office, but it’s only a matter of time before we overflow again because we are hellbent on expanding as fast as possible.

How can they be so out of touch with what their employees want? Oh, that’s right - because they truly don’t care if you quit, as seen by the masses of great talent exiting the business. They would rather replace you with a cheap new hire.

There are horror stories about the Marketing and Product departments. Unless you want to be on anti depressants, anti anxiety meds, and start going to therapy sessions, I’d stay far away if you want to keep your sanity.

Much, much more to say, but I’ll keep it to those main points.

Advice to Management

To the CEO in particular - please get over yourself. Try to actually listen to the reasons people are leaving and take positive action (no, adding more “learning and development” won’t fix the numerous fundamental problems). Get with the times and embrace a flexible work environment which fosters trust and positivity. Trust people to do their jobs. I know this is a hard one - but try being a decent, compassionate human being. There is more to life than money and power.

Virgin Pulse Response

Aug 17, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

We certainly understand that working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment that demands quick thinking and brainstorming is not for everyone and we wish you the best in finding an environment... More

"toxic environment"

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

m filled with negativity which overshadows anything good about this place.

Cons

Intimidating manager...snobbish team members...high in toxicity. poor pay and expect to work for more than 8 hours every single day and on weekends. certain teams are not for working moms.

"Rewarding and Fun Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Interesting software that you can relate to.
    -Always something new you can learn and work on.
    -Days go by really fast
    -Work with fun people you can joke around with
    -Startup feel, without actually being a startup anymore
    -Tech stack is always evolving
    -Offices are all nice

Cons

-A lot of work to be don’t with changing direction sometimes. Company has been doing a better job, but still an area to improve on
    -Growing, so interesting to see if culture changes at all. So far so good though.
    -Some clients dictate too much of the product road map, or change it. Is this really worth it?

Advice to Management

As we grow remember to keep focus on culture, employees, and road map.

"Great first few months"

I have been working at Virgin Pulse full-time

Pros

I started at Virgin Pulse January this year. So far:
    -The office is amazing in Providence. Lots of great work spaces/area to collaborate
    -The work is challenging and rewarding
    -Seems like there are lots of growth opportunities within the company
    -Folks here really believe in the product we put out

Cons

-Some growing pains (to be expected with a fast growing company)
    -Haven't gotten to met the CEO or most of the Executive Leadership team yet

Advice to Management

To the ELT. Spend a bit more time on professional development and just general face time with employees. A little goes a long way. People like to work hard for folks that invest in their development and make an effort to meet/know them. We aren't so big that that is an impossible ask.

Virgin Pulse Response

Apr 2, 2018 – SVP of People

hi - thanks for the feedback. You certainly joined at a busy time - we acquired 2 new businesses in January, our huge Annual Industry event (Thrive) launches next week in Miami, and we also launched... More

"Practicing what you preach."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has a great mission, terrific market position, and used to be a very inclusive and enabling place for people with ideas and enthusiasm to excel. There are a ton of terrific folks who work for this company, and they keep it rolling forward because of mutual respect and professionalism.

Cons

Sadly, there are some leaders that are the antithesis of what the company mission embodies, and that has hurt the performance and outlook of many employees who really wanted to make a difference, contribute new and lasting ideas for the product, the services and the marketing and voice of the company. Work/life balance is advertised, but not in practice at all. Not uncommon to get nasty emails or IMs from executive leadership at all hours. No upward mobility particularly in Product and Marketing. Team priorities, KPIs and directives change on a dime and no one wins. Pervasive atmosphere of "who do we blame" breeds distrust of management and high stress. I've never worked anywhere more toxic.

Advice to Management

Trust that you have hired great people. Let them do their job. Leave them alone on weekends and late at night. Spend some time learning about the market and understanding the sales and customer process better. You'll get where you want to go from a business perspective with your current pressure cooker, but you won't have people that stick around for very long.

"Too Many Balls in the Air"

Former Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA

I worked at Virgin Pulse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A lot of great people invested in the product; although those same folks are leaving the company more and more.
    -Solid mission statement: let's try and make people healthier and more productive in their day-to-day lives.
    -New HQ space in Providence, RI is nice looking; though moving the company outside of MA, which was announced as a talent acquisition strategy, is a bit odd when you consider the pipeline of talent surging through Boston-area colleges. No disrespect to Brown or Providence. :D

Cons

-Growing pains are leading to noticeable turnover. Tough to tout to the market that VP solutions can help improve employee retention when our own people are leaving in droves.
    -Unclear product direction/future. Makes it tough to market/sell.
    -Addressable market for their product solutions is smaller than originally thought but internal sales goals do not reflect that. Unreasonable KPIs/quota in certain regions.

Advice to Management

Take note of the growing exodus of talent. Something is clearly wrong.