Virginia Asset Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael R. White, CLU, ChFC

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

I have been working at Virginia Asset Management full-time

Pros

The team is really committed to ensuring that the interns/externs are maximizing the opportunity and really do put a lot of resources into teaching. This is very important as a young individual because I am here for the intrinsic value.

Cons

They don't have many negatives. This is a really great place with great people who genuinely care about the person next to them.

2. "Winter Externship Program"

Former Intern - Winter Extern in Richmond, VA
    Former Intern - Winter Extern in Richmond, VA

I worked at Virginia Asset Management as an intern

Pros

Amazing people, everyone was eager to meet the externs during the office tour, really made you feel comfortable... Very informative program as well, learned a lot through shadowing, hearing from division overviews, participating in relevant activities, and great group of externs that had opportunities to bond

Cons

The only con was that heavy snow cancelled the last day of the externship.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I had an amazing experience at VAM this winter break.

3. "Financial Advisor Intern"

Former Intern - Financial Advisor Intern
    Former Intern - Financial Advisor Intern

I worked at Virginia Asset Management as an intern

Pros

I was able to learn from the best in the industry. Interns are really able to get a taste of what the everyday work life for a financial advisor is like. There was also many opportunities to learn something new about the career through many different classes.

Cons

Sometimes the work that you do is not something that seems important.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

4. "Good Company, Great People"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Virginia Asset Management as an intern

Pros

Virginia Asset Management is a great company for professionals of all ages. Everyone within the company is very career driven, but all still work within a team dynamic. The internship was very hands on and proactive.

Cons

The internship was only 20 hours a week, and very rarely the interns were given "busy work" that no one else wanted to do, but really it was part of the experience.

Advice to Management

The advice to management I would offer is to involve interns with more career opportunities upon graduation from their accredited universities.

"Great Company"

Pros

Independence. I can't stress how good it feels to be an independent financial advisor instead of a product pusher. Making customized financial plans for people that fit their needs instead of trying to earn the next commission.

Cons

Even though you aren't a product pusher a lot of your salary will be from commissions. So prospecting and getting new clients will be key, but they do offer you somewhat of a base salary.

6. "Intern/Externship"

Former Employee - Financial Intern in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Intern in Richmond, VA

Pros

I was able to participate in Virginia Asset Management's winter externship. I applied through a career fair at college and was emailed a few days later to fill out a questionnaire to apply for their internship. The externship was a great learning experience and an honest view of life as a financial advisor.

Cons

Extremely competitive, interviewing hundreds of applicants for only four internship positions. I also interviewed with a current financial advisor at the end of the externship to apply for their internship and felt that he didn't truly even care to interview me or look at me as a possible candidate. It was a poor way to end a great three day externship.

"Great internship, fully educate yourself before committing to the career"

Former Intern - Finance Intern in Midlothian, VA
    Former Intern - Finance Intern in Midlothian, VA

I worked at Virginia Asset Management as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is extensive and educational, you will learn a lot about investments, retirement planning, and insurance. Everyone there is great, very friendly and supportive. Even as an intern I could walk into the CEO's office and have an hour long meeting. Office doors are open 95% of the day. Succeeding in this career gives you a tremendously independent life, work-life balance of your choice, and great residual and annual income.

Cons

The career is a commission based pay - the compensation for your first couple of years is supplemented by activity driven stipends. Turn-over is high in this industry for a good reason, it is VERY DIFFICULT to succeed. Do not go into it if you are unwilling to spend a couple years being a die-hard client prospector. During a 10 week internship I saw 5 people come in and go out while I was there. Only one person came in when I did as a full time employee and was still there when I left.

Advice to Management

Work with your broker-dealer to get more attractive compensation packages for the Advisor Development Program. Morgan-Stanley, Merrill Lynch, ING Financial all have you beat as far as base pay which will make it difficult to attract good talent.

"Good for established financial advisers going independent, bad for new/trainee advisors"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Midlothian, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Midlothian, VA

Pros

This is a good place to be ONLY if you have an established practice. The health insurance department really has their stuff together and is by far the best arm of this firm.

Cons

Their mentoring program is not defined so be careful in pairing with a senior adviser. Also they do a poor job in managing your expectations as a financial adviser regarding cash flow planning for your own practice. Their culture is very much about cold calling....you have been warned.

Advice to Management

Get some systems in place for the training program and stop being so nice. You ultimately hurt your new advisers when you let them slide.

"Nice to be part of a local firm when so many major companies are laying people off"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

Pros

Great resources to help new advisors get started - they have hired new managers and staff support. Lots of people available now to help advisors.

Cons

Definitely have to work hard in the beginning, but it's totatlly worth it. And even though you have to work hard, you still don't have to work as many hours as investment bankers and stock brokers - you can still have a life.

Advice to Management

Would be nice to sponser more seminars and workshops for public to come to office.

"A place where you can possibly make a career, but be prepare to be overworked and underpaid for 3-5 years"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

Pros

The ability to sell a wide variety of products to both individuals and groups. Ability to use a number of carriers. Good reputation.

Cons

Very difficult to generate leads other than cold calling or calling on friends and family. If you don’t sell a specified amount you don’t get paid for the quarter. Turnover around 80%.

Advice to Management

Try to find a way to reduce turnover. Spend less time hiring/ more time training. Be up front on sales expectations.