Virginia College Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Stu Reed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management are snakes and you cannot trust them" (in 12 reviews)

• "Work Life Balance takes a major hit, especially if you are at the management level" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Shutting down VC campuses"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Virginia College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not any... they are closing most campuses

Cons

Left without a job, severance packages are ridiculous!!!

Advice to Management

Hope you are happy greedy jerks!!! No email from Stu Reed about all this?!!! Of course not. He doesn’t care about long term employees losing jobs. Families devastated. He has his job...For now...
    This is absolutely sickening. Campus president let go, admissions, enrollment, all on same day... no warning? Same

You all cut benefits last year... no continuation of salary when you are on FMLA, no pay raises based on merit... just a 50 cent raise here and there but no one will tell you when you get one. They slide an extra 15.00 a paycheck on you... woooooo. Thanks...now I can ALMOST afford 1 week of daycare for my child after 10 years of service with you all.., infuriating.... now you are holding the full time employees hostage for severance packages until you all close up shop at VC.

I hope you all can sleep at night. The things you have done, are going to haunt you. Rest assured. It’s coming, The things you put employees through on campuses all to make a buck. I’ve seen employees physically assaulted by students, and the employees were threatened that if they did anything they would be terminated. Students throwing things and yelling at faculty and staff, and they were allowed to stay, even REENROLL!!! All because you wanted “numbers”

Employees having panic attacks, due to students making threats to them... and they are still allowed to come back. Employees cars vandalized, NOTHING done. Them hiring employees that were BANNED from teaching in the public school system!!! Hiring an employees who was accused of murdering her husband?!!!! Yikes!!!!!

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I may write a book after all this I have seen and witnessed. If anyone sees this- reach out!

Run far away from ECA owned schools.

2. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Virginia College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy schedule. Great teamwork. The students are great.

Cons

Layoffs twice a year. No job security.

3. "Fulfilling and fair amongst employees"

Current Employee - Cosmetology Instructor in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Cosmetology Instructor in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Virginia College (More than a year)

Pros

Hours, benefits, pay, holidays and my students

Cons

Short lunch breaks. Have to work some saturdays

Advice to Management

Pay could be higher for all the additional and outside hours it takes to run a functional classroom

"Good company that lost it's way"

Former Employee - Student Finance in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Student Finance in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Virginia College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to assist others in making an education dream come true.
    - Decent pay for the position
    - Decent compensation package including PTO
    - Continuing education opportunities for employees
    - Can make this a meaningful career if you are able to survive the yearly layoffs.
    - Met and worked with many different individuals that have become lifelong friends.

Cons

- Lack of job security due to yearly layoffs, closing of multiple schools.
    - Once the current CEO took over, most of management became reactive instead of being proactive, although this seemed to change once the company was denied (twice) by the ACCET accrediting body. With ACICS re-accreditation looming, they have learned their lesson (I hope) and are going back to basics of being proactive when it comes to compliance.
    - Senior Management (Home office aka. Corporate) would roll out constant changes but not communicate to their peers at the top. The lack of communication led to many conflicting policies that created a lot of confusion at the campus level that ultimately affected the student and employees at the campus.
    - While most positions where well compensated, constant layoffs/eliminating crucial positions had many individuals picking up the pieces of other departments and doing the work of 2, 3, or 4 people.
    - Work Life Balance takes a major hit, especially if you are at the management level.
    - Hourly employees are pressured to complete 50-60 hour work responsibilities into 40 hours because OT is not approved.
    - Constant budget cuts due to declining enrollment.

Advice to Management

To the CEO and senior management executives - be truthful, accurate, consistent, and transparent with the workforce and the students that you still have. Don't be greedy. Remember WHY we are in education - not for the money, but 100% for the student.

To campus management - be compassionate, present and supportive as you can; act with compassion and lead your team by example. This will give your remaining team confidence and boost morale.

"Too Much Stress for not enough Money"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Virginia College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interact with people, help guide individuals to career choice, semi-private cubicle

Cons

Need to meet enrollment numbers with low leads, low community interaction, find leads even during off hours.

Advice to Management

Better training needed, clear objective to team

6. "Cosmetology Instructor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Virginia College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great school spirit. I really enjoyed working with the students. The director did everything she could to help the students and staff uphold policies and be their for the students.

Cons

I hated the politics of the company. It was very hard to uphold the schools attendance policy. It was unreasonable to make student not miss a minute of class.

Advice to Management

Continue to be behind your students and staff. Mrs. Bonner tried really hard to help Virginia College have a great atmosphere.

"I attended VC and am now an instructor loved every minute of it then and now!!!"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Program Instructor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Program Instructor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Virginia College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, no stress, great students, great faculty

Cons

For myself I do not feel there are any cons. I love to teach!!!

"Not a good place"

Former Employee - Program Director in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Program Director in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Virginia College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is great and benefits are great.

Cons

Cut throat atmosphere among management

"Sub-Prime Education"

I have been working at Virginia College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay for the management team is fair.

Cons

You will be micro-managed to death. There is an extreme emphasis on getting students into the classroom and start the funding process as soon as possible. There is little emphasis on academics. Some students admitted to the school can barely read or write.

"Student Focused"

Former Employee - Career Development Specialist in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Career Development Specialist in Augusta, GA

I worked at Virginia College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Student Success is the best thing about the job! Salary and Benefits are really good in this position. Staff works very hard.

Cons

Corporate Metrics are tough and micromanaging is a pain. Have to focus on student outcomes to make it tolerable. Performance reviews for department managers needed.