Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gil Munoz

1. "Amazing organization, powerful mission, wonderful people"

Former Employee - Physician in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Physician in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the mission attracts people who are service oriented, warm and caring
    a strong sense of community among staff members
    innovative, on the frontier of primary care renewal

Cons

constant change within the organization programs, sometimes changes take a long time

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

Apr 6, 2017 – Staffign Manager

Thanks for sharing. We'll do our best to keep up the good work!

2. "Managers can't make a decision because everything has to go through the top - everything"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission started by people who had good motivation. Employees work really hard but soon move on because they have no control or input into the work. Patients are the best.

Cons

Top management from 1990 who operate as if there are only 50 employees.

Advice to Management

Why? They don't listen to anyone.

"Good place to work, but poor administration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Pros

The mission is why physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners work here. The nurses and teams are also dedicated to the work and patients. If you truly want to work at a place where the focus is on patient care and mission driven, come work on a team here.

Cons

Medical assistants are involved in gossip and unprofessional. The union works to keep unproductive staff here and encourages behavior that is unprofessional. I do not benefit from the union because I do my job well. Clinic staff and administration treat managers here very poorly-I would suggest you look at another place to work if you are a manager. Managers are often skilled with more training than some of the administration and I often hear of problems. Administration wants to implement changes and they don't take the time to listen to the staff and blame managers who do listen, for their own failures. I do not trust the directors at all.

Advice to Management

Treat managers more respectfully-especially when you have some managers of a quality we don't deserve for how much we pay them. Train the administration more, get rid of the union, train the staff in professional behaviors with managers.

"Registered Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great community, friendly staff, committed nurses.

Cons

High staff turn-over, including management, little flexibility for innovation.

Advice to Management

Try to find a way to reduce nurse turn-over.

"Great mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the mission of the organization. Most of the people truly care about the patients and making the organization a success. They do innovative things and try their best to provide access to patients.

Cons

The executive team has too many direct reports. They are spread too thin and can be hard to find time to meet with them.
    Okay benefits. The health plan is Kaiser and pretty affordable and you get a 403b company match after two years but that is the extent of the benefits. I get that it is a non-profit but there are no other perks to the organization.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring to meet the needs of the staff.

"Not living up to their mission to serve the community"

Former Employee - Panel Care Coordinator in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Panel Care Coordinator in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center (Less than a year)

Pros

The organization stood behind the mission, during training at least. After the short term training, new employees received very little support, and if an employee found themselves facing a difficult situation out of their control with a sick child, they were terminated.

Cons

Lack of employee support systems, management was unprofessional, many teams were involved in gossip, with more training, a new employee would have been able to successfully fulfil what had been presented as the mission of Virginia Garcia, which is the reason I pursued a career with them. Sorely disappointed.

Advice to Management

Be more human. Have a heart. Walk a mile I the shoes of your employees. Practice your "speech" before you humiliate someone by handing them a box and their final check and stuttering out a crappy reason.

"Oh, well, they mean well"

Current Employee - Provider in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Provider in Portland, OR

Pros

Help under-served populations and they gave good pharmacies for their patients.

Cons

Poor communication with administration. Outer clinics alienated from admin. Benefits unequal among employees. Executives make middle 6 figures without experience or education. Supposed to take uninsured but almost impossible to get appt if you are uninsured.

Advice to Management

They don't take advise so it's useless.

9. "Making a difference in the community"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Organization is very mission-driven. Work/Life balance is good. Management is approachable and open to new ideas. These clinics really make a difference in the lives of patients and VG is a pioneer in the move to the Primary Care Home model of care. The executive team cares greatly about staff satisfaction, as well.

Cons

The way healthcare is provided is ever-evolving these days. In the last few years many changes have come and gone at VG, and as in any industry, it can make staff uncomfortable and the turnover rate high. Also, the organization's nonprofit status means funds are minimal for such things as bonuses and pay raises.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees! This is an organization with great intentions and a heart of gold. Be careful not to expand too quickly, even though there is such a huge need in the community.

Apr 6, 2017 – Staffign Manager

Thanks for doing your part in helping VGMHC make a difference for underserved patients in the Willamette Valley!

"Wonderful people, great mission"

Current Employee - Health Care in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Health Care in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worthwhile mission with committed employees and management. Good benefits-four weeks vacation after three years,fast growing with lots of opportunity for people who want to stay and grow.

Cons

I support unions but this one is the worst I've ever seen. Top down decisions, no communication, instead of getting people involved they drive people out. High dues, no service. Too busy defending the dead beats.

Advice to Management

Plan ahead more than a few weeks. VGMHC is growing a little TOO quickly.

Apr 6, 2017 – Staffign Manager

We appreciate the feedback, and are glad you value the mission and people here as much as we do.

11. "Solid company, nice people"

I have been working at Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center full-time

Pros

Mission, work with caring and dedicated people, company is growing

Cons

Started as small company and more structure is needed as it continues to grow. Better communications.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff and communicate goals/direction of company

Apr 6, 2017 – Staffign Manager

Thanks for your feedback and kind words about the people here.