Virginia International University Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2019

Found 57 reviews

Virginia International University CEO Isa Sarac
Isa Sarac
Pros
  • "The quality of employees from both the staff and faculty side has improved(in 3 reviews)

• "You get to learn about so many different backgrounds and cultures and experience true diversity(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management needs to learn that if you need something done, trust your managers to give their employees the work to do(in 9 reviews)

• "Can switch you departments without notice(in 3 reviews)

1. "Teaching Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Virginia International University part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was always a very good learning experience

Cons

There are no cons as far as I know

Virginia International University2018-07-29
  2. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Virginia International University full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working here.

Cons

Literally everything. Poor pay and benefits, to sketchy practices.

Virginia International University2019-07-18
  3. "IT Support"

Current Employee - IT Student Assistant

I have been working at Virginia International University part-time

Pros

Lots of Troubleshooting around campus.

Cons

No raise in pay scale

Virginia International University2019-05-02
  4. "Would not recommend"

I worked at Virginia International University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual dress and Nice co-workers.

Cons

Offered job in one role, but get moved to different department. Change hours without notice or regard for personal obligations. Not very much transparency from the top down. Hard to know how long the university will be around

Virginia International University2019-04-11
  5. "Greta Place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Virginia International University for more than a year

Pros

Great environment to work for students

Cons

Less Pay for students

Virginia International University2019-01-10
  6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Virginia International University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on the department, timing was flexible.

Cons

There is really no job security.

Virginia International University2019-01-02

"Read the bad reviews. Good ones are forced or fake."

I worked at Virginia International University

Pros

Diverse student body Some staff actually care and work hard.

Cons

Incompetent but proud upper management. Staff that are manipulated by fear and insecurities. Lots of gossiping. Competent, hard-working, and reliable employees get fired or laid off constantly due to lack of training and guidance, decisions made based on gossips, or simply trying to do the right thing. This is a place for you if you are desperate for a job, can tolerate being undermined, unappreciated, and...

Virginia International University2018-08-21
  8. "LEAD SUPPORT TECH"

Current Employee - IT Technician in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Virginia International University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brilliant & Diverse students and a dynamic environment, great team-mates who care about one another and perform with excellence, fair treatment. Flexibility of working hours, stress free environment; comfort zone is like being at home than hard-work, on campus food zone and lots of entertainment and adventurous activities.

Cons

There is always some lacking in every organization, only superman & heaven is a place where everything can be perfect and accurate. So rather than than I haven't notice anything negative from my end though different people have differen perspective.

Advice to Management

Management is growing rapidly & making great progress. I wish them success for always as usual.

Virginia International University2018-06-15

"I Loved My Job...Most of the Time"

I worked at Virginia International University full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Virginia International University. I met a lot of wonderful people, did good work, and felt like I made an impact. Since VIU is a small university, you will have the opportunity to have an idea and see it come to fruition - you really see that you are making a difference. I woke up in the morning excited to come to work, which is not the norm for many people in the workforce today.

Cons

Because VIU is small, you may feel overworked. There simply are not enough people in some departments that need it (and too many people in other departments). Communication can be a big issue, as well. Upper management needs to learn that if you need something done, trust your managers to give their employees the work to do. They know how to better communicate with their staff and give them a task. Employees should...

Advice to Management

Trust who you hire and take time to think through issues strategically. I was put in a position too many times when there was a "fire" to handle right away (which is stressful) or a thought/idea that needed to happen one day but was forgot about/changed another. Take your time - we are people, not machines.

Virginia International University2018-04-09

Virginia International University Response

April 16, 2018Human Resources

Thank you for taking your time to write the review. We truly value the feedback from our staff.

10. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Virginia International University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great students and a dynamic, diverse community and environment, great group of co-workers who care about one another and performing with excellence, fair treatment, internal promotion prospects, support and training and learning/development, flexibility of working hours, stress free environment; feels like home to home, on campus food options

Cons

Nothing very significant to mention

Advice to Management

The management is great, I think they do what they need to do to effectively run the university. Keep up the good work

Virginia International University2018-01-17

Virginia International University Response

January 22, 2018Human Resources

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the family atmosphere that we strive to provide for our employees and students.

Found 57 reviews