Virginia Mason Reviews

Updated May 11, 2020

3.7
Virginia Mason Chairman & CEO Gary Kaplan
Gary Kaplan
Pros
  • "I learn a lot about patient care and medicine that makes me a more valuable part of the team(in 14 reviews)

• "Great benefits, good pay, short commute(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "A former VM manager says it best "(in 16 reviews)

• "short staffed, over worked, under paid(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Hospital"

Current Employee - Clinical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent, patient centered culture with an emphasis on safety. Leadership is supportive and transparent towards front line staff.

Cons

Expectations of leaders can be demanding and though work-life balance is promoted, leaders often go above and beyond at all times which is good but can also lead to burn out.

Virginia Mason2020-02-20

March 9, 2020Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate you recognizing our patient-centered culture with an emphasis on safety, and our supportive and transparent leadership. We strive to create an environment where everyone feels respected and their contributions valued. We also appreciate hearing how we can improve, so thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. We appreciate the care you provide to our patients.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, respectful environment, open to feedback from employees

Cons

Constant change, some managers are ineffective

Virginia Mason2020-05-11

May 13, 2020

Thank you for the five-star review and for highlighting our pay, respectful environment and openness to feedback. We believe recognizing and rewarding our team members is a priority, and Respect for People is fundamental to the way we work together to provide extraordinary care to our community. With our Virginia Mason Production System, change is important - but change for the right reason. We'll share your comments with leadership, and appreciate your time in leaving this review.

3. "Miserable place to work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits. entry level salary is high (starting in 2018)

Cons

not invested in employee growth. Does not look at quality of therapy care, just productivity rates. Instead of discussing weaknesses, they automatically write you up. This could be something as small as having a typo in your documentation.

Virginia Mason2020-05-11

May 13, 2020

We appreciate you taking time to share your feedback on working at Virginia Mason- and for providing constructive advice for our management. Thank you for highlighting our commitment to competitive pay and benefits. We value our team members and believe they deserve the best employee experience we can offer. We are disappointed to hear that your experience is not meeting our shared expectations. We wish you all the best in your future career.

4. "Loved working here"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were amazing

Cons

Didn’t work here long enough to see the cons

Virginia Mason2020-04-24

April 30, 2020

Thank you for providing feedback and leaving a 5-star review. We work hard to give our team members a great experience, including that chance to work with amazing colleagues, co-workers and leaders. Best wishes for your future!

5. "Not a bad company"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the pros while working for this company was good pay, okay medical insurance and great teamwork.

Cons

Little room for advancement. They fire all the good mangers

Virginia Mason2020-04-16

April 20, 2020Strategic Recruitment Specialist

We appreciate you taking time to share your comments with us. Thanks for recognizing our competitive pay and great teamwork. Virginia Mason works hard to be the best place our team members have worked. We value the constructive feedback you provided and we have shared your comments with department leaders. Wishing you the best on your future endeavors

6. "Overly complicated"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, the pay is good

Cons

Leadership too busy to help, overly complicated processes to get things done

Virginia Mason2020-04-27

April 27, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with the Glassdoor community, and to spotlight our market-competitive pay. We're sorry to hear that your experience wasn't everything you hoped for and wish you all the best.

7. "Overall great company"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time

Pros

Great nurses to work with Management open to employee feedback

Cons

Challenging work at times Sometimes management expectations exceed what can be done

Virginia Mason2020-04-09

April 13, 2020Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback. We agree that we have the best nurses to work with, and appreciate you sharing how open our management/leadership is to feedback. We work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. We also appreciate hearing about how we can improve, so thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, and for the care you provided to our patients.

8. "Just like any other hospital"

Current Employee - N/A in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Managers and doctors in general are very nice.

Cons

Everything is very old school, low tech, and slow moving. But i find that to be the case at most medical centers

Virginia Mason2020-04-03

April 13, 2020Strategic Recruitment Specialist

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on working at Virginia Mason. Thanks for recognizing our doctors and managers, we think they are terrific as well. At Virginia Mason we work hard to be the best place to work in Seattle. We also value your constructive feedback and we have shared your post with the appropriate people. Thank you for the care you provide to our patients.

9. "Pay is good. Clients are great. Lots of micromanagement though. Hope you like case management!"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co workers are the best people!

Cons

Micromanagement is a pain. I generally don't feel supported by my supervisor.

Virginia Mason2020-03-10

March 10, 2020Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We agree that our team members are the best people. Having great co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. We also appreciate hearing about how we can improve, so thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We appreciate the care you provide to our patients.

"Wish I could stay"

2.0
    Patient Account Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason

Pros

Great insurance with access to a broad medical system. Decent on the job training and many passionate people.

Cons

While the focus is on patients it is clearly not on admin staff. Retention is low due to a bad work environment. Staff do not feel appreciated and are not compensated competitively. Go-getters and innovators lose their spark fast here and go unheard despite corporate dogma stating the opposite goal.

Virginia Mason2020-03-09

March 10, 2020Strategic Recruitment Specialist

We appreciate you taking time to share your feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing our great benefits, passionate team members and job training. We value our team members and believe that they deserve the best experience we can offer. We appreciate hearing about how we can improve, so thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We wish you the best on your future endeavors.

Found 242 reviews