Virginia Mason Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 26, 2019

3.5
Virginia Mason CEO Gary Kaplan
Gary Kaplan
  1. "Professional and caring nursing staff"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

Professional and caring nursing staff and nursing management

Cons

Long work hours and expensive parking

Virginia Mason2019-11-26
  2. "RN surgical unit"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great sense of inclusion, teamwork, support. You can tell that everyone loves their job, and all workers are equally respected. Good pay. Many opportunities to advance. Plenty of voluntary overtime options, but no REQUIRED overtime.

Cons

Not a lot of parking options for day shift workers

Virginia Mason2019-11-15

"Avoid the lab"

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Virginia Mason has an interesting patient population. If you're self-sufficient and into learning on your own, then you can learn a lot. They do like to bring in the latest technology and equipment. The pay seems to be better than most places.

Cons

-the pay is high for a reason. If you’re okay with a really high stress, high work volume environment with no support or understanding from your managers….go for it. -aside from rare webinars, you will not be provided with opportunities for further learning while on the job. If you want to learn more about what you're actually doing, you'll have to do it on your own. You will never get to attend any conferences... unless you request PTO and pay for it yourself. -technology is brought it in, but then employees must validate it (with no help from the director who purchased it) while still managing patient work-load. So, sometimes you get really cool new stuff and then it sits there collecting dust until someone has the time; or it will be poorly and inefficiently implemented and we’ll all find out 2 years later that we were doing it wrong. -management is SEVERELY detached from staff. The disconnect is mind-boggling. They do not understand the work you do at all. They have no clue what your actual job is in the lab. -the Virginia Mason Production System is a completely warped version of the Toyota Lean/Six Sigma production system. Virginia Mason took a program that should be efficient and turned it on its head. The most poorly executed system I have ever seen in my life. Creates "fake work" for an entire office filled with people to do who knows what, and runs the rest of us in incomprehensible circles. It says right on the VM website that VMPS is supposed to “reduce the burden of work for team members.” HA!! A former VM manager says it best "VM is burying itself in its own rhetoric". We all actually call it “VMBS”…..I think you can figure out what the “BS” stands for. -the HR business partners at VM *don't even work for VM*. They're contracted through an outside company. So when your team has met with HR for the 3rd time, all of you in tears begging for help, they just don't care. Because they don't even work for the same company. I'm sure some generic response by one of those HR business partners will go below this review and my response to them is -> we begged for your help for 3 years with tears in our eyes and you did literally nothing. Oh wait, you did finally put the supervisor in place that we all actually wanted (again...begged for), but by that time it was a "too little too late" situation and most of the good people left. So, then my response to VM hr is do better and do it faster. This is our lives. We don't have years to sit around waiting for the toxic environment (I mean bad managers) to evaporate.

Advice to Management

Get out of your office, put down your timers, stop throwing waste of time kaizens, and provide some actual support to your supervisors and staff. Or quit. Go manage people and departments that you actually understand and care about.

Virginia Mason2019-10-02
  4. "Unwelcoming work environment"

Former Employee - Physician Assistant

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hospitalists were among some of the most knowledgeable and easy to work with.

Cons

Terrible EMR, so many layers and drop down boxes for the most simple of orders. Very time consuming, created a significant barrier to productivity.

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Cvt in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall good place to work with great colleagues

Cons

No real room for growth

Virginia Mason2019-09-19
  6. "Just run away as fast as you can"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time

Pros

Honestly I can’t think of anything . Literally go work at any other hospital in Seattle you will be better off.

Cons

The nightmare starts with the interview process and never ends. They care more about operating Toyota manufacturing style than common sense.

Advice to Management

Just leave. Or stay, actually, because none of us want to see you ruin any of the other decent hospitals around here.

"Could be better"

Former Employee - Nutrition Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

Provided some opportunities for professional growth.

Cons

Management was often frantic and did not know how to manage their staff.

Advice to Management

Find ways to help NA’s feel more valued and understood, continue to provide opportunities for growth,

Virginia Mason2019-09-09
  8. "great company!"

Current Employee - RN Outpatient

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

great team environment and supportive managers

Cons

i don't have any cons

Virginia Mason2019-09-08
  9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to work.

Cons

Pay was less than it should have been.

Virginia Mason2019-08-31

"High turn over rate"

Current Employee - Residency Program Coordinator

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time

Pros

Great teamwork VMPS Put patient first

Cons

inconsistency Overwork staffs High turnover

Virginia Mason2019-08-07