Virginia Transformer Corp. Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Transformer Corp. Reviews

4.0
Prabhat Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • As with every place of employment, you can find pockets of good people with good intentions and decent skills (in 3 reviews)

• A lot of great people work at VT, and they made the job tolerable (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Management style is autocratic and top down (in 2 reviews)

• I have moved on from VTC, so I'm not a disgruntle employee, just happy I no longer work in the worst place in Roanoke County (in 5 reviews)

1. "Project Coordinator"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good job great people decent pay

Cons

Nothing bad to say lots to learn knowledgeable people

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. (Less than a year)

Pros

Performance is the key metric and a very diverse workforce. Financially stable and well paid for skills and experience.

Cons

Some policies and procedures are antiquated. Time for an upgrade...

Advice to Management

Share the vision of where the company is going. Empowering employess will go a long way towards getting the organization to the next level.

3. "#Nice management /Company and work opportunities with below expected salary structure""

Current Employee - Market Sales Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Market Sales Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice work culture
    Immense work opportunities
    Conducive environment
    Team work
    Your say is considered

Cons

Excess meetings
    High cost in processing
    Great to work company is below par salary structure.

Advice to Management

Some people leave this company due to salary they get comparison to their colleagues in other similar companies, management even knows about it but they should take steps to curb this problem. Because it takes time and money to train new people.

"An equal opportunity employer like no other"

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is one of the most diverse environments I have ever worked in. It is not important who you are or what you believe in. Performance is the only metric. Many supervisors and managers are high quality and dedicated to the job. Company prefers and promotes opportunities for internal advancement. It actively seeks to grow its capacity and reach into the power industry.

Cons

Patience for new programs to yield positive results might be helpful. In a challenging economic sales environment, corporate policies could be communicated more fully.

5. "Not that bad...must be thicked skin"

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time

Pros

Steady work
    Opportunities to grow if motivated

Cons

Work every weekend
    Very hot in the summer

Advice to Management

Upgrade facilities.

6. "Don't judge by negative comments"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allows personal growth
    Not micro-managed
    Learning experiences
    Everyone is generally nice, I do not witness unhappy employees. If the environment was so bad, we would not have long standing employees and I'm sure some government agency would have shut us down by now if we were as bad as some of the comments here suggest.

Cons

Benefits are a bit pricey
    Mandatory weekends that result in a week shutdown is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Negative comments are usually from disgruntled ex-employees. I would take those comments with a grain of salt and figure out the environment on your own. Don't let someone else make an impression on the company for you. YOU can make your own assumption after becoming employed.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within, there is a lot of strong talent in the organization.

7. "VTCU Pays well"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID

Pros

There is some much room for improvement at the Pocatello facility - but the company is respectful and pays very good for the location.

Cons

President is intentionally intimidating - too much micro-management from the corporate office in Roanoke, too much shop floor turnover.

Advice to Management

Address the turnover issues quickly

"Obtained valuable work experience"

Pros

VTC did not micromanage me or have a pre-cut mold that I had to fit into. I was given the freedom to improve certain work processes that I felt needed improvement. They expect hard work but they also reward you for it if you perform well which is all you can ask for. You can do well here if you want to excel at your job and are willing to give the proper amount of effort required. One thing that is certain is that if you are a person that just wants to show up everyday without doing too much you will not like it and you will not be around very long.

No, I am not and never was part of HR....Honest and fair assessment from former employee.

Cons

Employee morale is not as high as it needs to be. I was always treated fairly but you will hear constant grumblings of dissatisfaction from other employees within the company. Employee turnover is high. Not a place to work if you have thin skin.

9. "Give it a Shot!"

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time

Pros

Company expending considerable effort to improve employee morale thru coaching, outside training and new equipment. Plant areas have really had a lot of improvement and expansion. High goals are set and are readily being achieved. No wonder the company has been growing nearly 20 % the last few years. Very diverse, culturally rich environment.

Cons

High goal atmosphere can be oppressive for some when occasional miss overshadows all of the successes.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve our work environment. Recognize or emphasize employee success more than our occasional misses.

"The way I see it."

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time

Pros

I have worked for VT for several months and agree that working for VT is not utopia but instead of airing my dirty laundry and personal opinion on Glassdoor I try to remember that it is a job that I get paid to do for a company that has been and continues to be very successful. Personally job security with a company that is experiencing 20 -25% annual growth and is debt free must be doing many things right. Sure my opinion of the way I do my job and the companies may not always be the same but it is my responsibility to seek common ground when I can, accept the principals that the company and its owner adhere to and give VT my best efforts. If the job and company are not for me then I should move on and allow others who will fit it with VT to get that opportunity without criticizing the company on a public forum and possibly influencing other that would flourish in our environment. I have been in most areas of the facility and have not seen the whips, chains or slave conditions that others have mentioned.

Cons

Due to growth of VT infrastructure is behind, hard to find a parking place sometimes, break room needs to be improved and maybe better parking lot lighting.