Virginia Transformer Corp. Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Transformer Corp. Reviews

5.0
Prabhat Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A lot of great people work at VT, and they made the job tolerable (in 3 reviews)

• an aggressively growing company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be bad in some cases" (in 6 reviews)

• If you have any problems, don't count on your HR department to help you (in 3 reviews)

"***Do You Believe in Making a Difference? This is the Place, come Joine! :-)"

Current Employee - Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welcome to VTC. I'm going to give you a problem that neither thepresident nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a team of professionals. Those engineers, professionals and technicians are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those supervisors, managers and team leads are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The HR, IT & other office staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile after you ask for help.....very positive support team!! You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a VTC'nian never lets another VTC'nian fail.

Cons

"Work-life balance can be bad in some cases"

"Working at VTC as an manager means you'll probably be working pretty long hours"

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing, continue re-examining how to create even better experiences and careers for your people, continue to experiment with different professional development and staffing models; don't slow down but understand that people's personal lives may not always support them to keep the fastest pace all the time----keep that into account!

2. "Great people to work with!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Administrative Assistant in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Administrative Assistant in Roanoke, VA

Pros

While employed at VTC I met alot of great people. I learned alot and felt as if I was valued.

Cons

There needs to be more time for employees and management to engage.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a bit more training implemented.

3. "Good Company for Hardworking Energetic People, Not a Place for Lazy Folks"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp for about 5 years.

Pros – The atmosphere is overall very friendly, and everyone is working together for the benefit of the company. It is really a great place to start or for that matter continue your career. Pro's include: Exposure to industries, functional areas and customers, Diversity of work, Mentorship; Incredible opportunity to work with senior execs (including president) in solving complicated business issues; Unrivaled HR support related to diversity, benefits and life events; HR team is friendly and welcoming, willing to listen to employees issues (may or may not always be able to help you get exactly what you want, well it's a private business, at least they listen and try to help)

Steep learning curve that propels you into a managerial role in a short amount of time (If YOU WORK FOR IT). Colleagues that are some of the smartest people (but somehow remain grounded and humble with a couple of exceptions, we have those everywhere). Fun teams and good friends, which is key when working such long hours!

Cons

Not many cons outside of the obvious ones - work life balance; obviously all of these wonderful pros come at a price: you have to give up your personal life and dedicate yourself to your company goals and customers, Long hours, travel on personal time, limitations on rental cars. (Travel policy needs to be reviewed) however, if you are in not in one of the jobs that require much travel, then no issues. Very fast pace, Sometimes political at "C" level.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on attracting -- and retaining -- the best and brightest.

"Very Good Place To Work!!!"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We always are learning new things, very satisfying and interesting work, managers are knowledgeable and willing to help employees in any matter, very good group of professionals helping each other, I'm very happy with the company, salary is competitive and health plans are offered, good company to work for.

Cons

Small city, if that can be considered as a con!

Advice to Management

none

5. "Honored to work at Va Transformer"

Current Employee - Sales Administrative Assistant in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Administrative Assistant in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Management team and co-workers in all departments are professional people willing to help each other on a daily basis. Va Transformer is an exciting company with lots of opportunities to show and prove your talents & capabilites.
    Very Happy and Honored to be a part of Va Transformer Team.

Cons

Very Friendly people in all departments. Va Transformer is a Growing Company. Va Transformer hires professional people to work as a team.

Advice to Management

Extend the parking lot - with the company growing there is a need for more parking.