Virginia Transformer Corp. Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Transformer Corp. Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A lot of great people work at VT, and they made the job tolerable (in 3 reviews)

• an aggressively growing company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be bad in some cases" (in 6 reviews)

• If you have any problems, don't count on your HR department to help you (in 3 reviews)

"An equal opportunity employer like no other"

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is one of the most diverse environments I have ever worked in. It is not important who you are or what you believe in. Performance is the only metric. Many supervisors and managers are high quality and dedicated to the job. Company prefers and promotes opportunities for internal advancement. It actively seeks to grow its capacity and reach into the power industry.

Cons

Patience for new programs to yield positive results might be helpful. In a challenging economic sales environment, corporate policies could be communicated more fully.

2. "Not that bad...must be thicked skin"

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time

Pros

Steady work
    Opportunities to grow if motivated

Cons

Work every weekend
    Very hot in the summer

Advice to Management

Upgrade facilities.

3. "Don't judge by negative comments"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allows personal growth
    Not micro-managed
    Learning experiences
    Everyone is generally nice, I do not witness unhappy employees. If the environment was so bad, we would not have long standing employees and I'm sure some government agency would have shut us down by now if we were as bad as some of the comments here suggest.

Cons

Benefits are a bit pricey
    Mandatory weekends that result in a week shutdown is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Negative comments are usually from disgruntled ex-employees. I would take those comments with a grain of salt and figure out the environment on your own. Don't let someone else make an impression on the company for you. YOU can make your own assumption after becoming employed.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within, there is a lot of strong talent in the organization.

4. "Steady work for loners"

Current Employee - Technician in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Technician in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. (More than 10 years)

Pros

Never been laid off, pay is decent after a while.

Cons

No concern for work/life balance. All about profit over quality. Company policy is "Find someone to blame" HR tells you to "read your handbook" instead of answering questions.

Advice to Management

Advice usually falls on deaf ears, but learn how to schedule work so that people can have a life. Its shameful to send people home on weekdays and then mandatory them in on Saturday.

"Don't be Fooled.... HR is doing damage control!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp. (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is there are a lot of jobs available. I wonder why????

Cons

It is really funny to listen to the recent comments on here. This is what HR does when people get on here and tell the truth. I happen to know that someone in HR made an employee get on this website and write a great review.... does that sound like a place that you want to work? Yes, disgruntle employees do get on this site to help others. That is why I am on here telling my story, I don't want anyone else taking a job that they will regret. And... it all starts with the owner! The top management just goes along with him, whether it's right or wrong or legal or not legal. But yes... if you want to listen to these 3 recent reviews by all means, join Virginia Transformers. Then you can come on Glassdoor and warn people of the things that go on in that place. I have moved on from VTC, so I'm not a disgruntle employee, just happy I no longer work in the worst place in Roanoke County. Good luck to all!!!

Advice to Management

The advice would go unheard!!! Tried it, it doesn't work!

"avoid this company"

Pros

Its a free country so you can leave and work elsewhere

Cons

Hr is a joke especially manager.

Advice to Management

retire

"Progressive"

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always looking to increase market share with strong financial backing.

Cons

Disrespectful of employees personal time.

Advice to Management

Show you care about employees beyond a picnic.

"Pack your bags, you're going to India"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you've dreamed of going to India, then this is the place for you! ! Why pay for airfare when you can experience the look and feel of India without traveling afar.

Cons

While you're here, you're expected to act like you're in a third world country. You will be treated like an unwanted minority (especially if you're female). You will forgo American traditional foods and prep your taste buds for vegetarian delight. You'll be expected to be available 24/7. You may even consider a religion conversion because the only holidays recognized will not be the ones you are accustomed to. Prepare yourself for the negative environment and your new submissive role. If you have any problems, don't count on your HR department to help you. They will smile to your face and talk about you behind your back. The benefits are very minimal. The insurance is too expensive so you can't really afford it. You may want to add riders onto your auto insurance because more than likely your car will suffer some sort of damage while parked on their premises. If you're seeking job insecurity and a company that has nothing to offer except a free vegetarian meal then this may be the place for you! Believe the reviews. This is a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

None to be given. The owner has corrupted them all and turned them into his little minions that carry on the deeds of his dirty work in his absence.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benifits- long hours, unrealistic goals and schedules, micro-management, completely toxic environment. The environment help me lose 15 pounds and forced me to miss many family special times due to having to working extra hours.

Cons

Turnover- Help me become a better trainer, and I got to work with a large number of people, unfortunately they often had the same job title that the person that I had trained three months earlier.

Advice to Management

Prab, Steve, and Greg to step down and bring in professional management. Steve and Greg don't understand that Prab continues to play off each other that help create the problems with VT

10. "VTCU Pays well"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID

Pros

There is some much room for improvement at the Pocatello facility - but the company is respectful and pays very good for the location.

Cons

President is intentionally intimidating - too much micro-management from the corporate office in Roanoke, too much shop floor turnover.

Advice to Management

Address the turnover issues quickly