Virtana "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Virtana Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Oct 15, 2017

3.6
Virtana Chief Executive Officer Philippe Vincent
Philippe Vincent
Pros
Cons
  • "Senior management don't know how to run a startup(in 8 reviews)

• "CEO goes duck hunting while the company is laying off 2/3 of its hard workers and is about to go under(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "The Perfect Opportunity!"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Virtana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Virtual Instruments has provided me with everything that I was looking for in my job search. From the time I was contacted by their recruiter to now, the overall experience has exceeded my expectations. This is a GREAT place to work. Not only is the company doing very well and has a bright future, but the work environment has provided me: more visibility with my work and the chance to really own the processes learning opportunity that provides me the chance to hone my skills as a QA engineer collaborative culture flexible work environment (which is great since I have small children) an overall fun atmosphere (I enjoy coming into work everyday)

Cons

Nothing more than what you would expect from a small company. I expect a lot of these wrinkles will be ironed out as the company grows and more support systems are put in place.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I am very excited about VI's trajectory and the culture that has been fostered.

Virtana2013-07-19
  2. "Great company with great people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Virtana full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible work environment, full stack developer if you want

Cons

mature industry, not too much space to grow

Advice to Management

find some more interesting areas

Virtana2017-10-16

"Ineffective Executive Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Virtana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunches, fun work environment and great engineers. It's a very fun work environment. The culture is great, albeit a very young work culture. I enjoy working with most of the engineers here and it's a small tight knit environment. Free snack and drinks are available. Also being startup there is decent work-life balance.

Cons

Overall leadership is lacking. There is a total lack of transparency from the executive staff. Decisions are made without any regard of employees. And the company does not run itself like a startup. Look at their twitter page and you'll see conspicuous spending by the marketing team. Product decisions are made on a whim and the sales leadership in non-existent. Despite it being fun place to work, the leadership culture is toxic and the problem is systemic. The CEO John Thompson, despite being a large company CEO from Symantec is unable to provide any leadership,gives the company no direction and no transparency. Avoid this place like the plague.

Advice to Management

Go ruin another company.

Virtana2015-10-16

"Uhhhh...what!?!"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at Virtana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, freedom to give input, decent coworkers.

Cons

Left alone with no tasks for days and sometimes weeks at a time. Poor interaction between backend devs and frontend devs. Most importantly, laid off with ZERO notice and ZERO severance. CEO goes duck hunting while the company is laying off 2/3 of its hard workers and is about to go under.

Advice to Management

Recognize your highest performing employees and lift them up and utilize them. Inform your workers.

Virtana2015-11-17

"No leadership, lack of accountability, absent CEO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Virtana full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team I worked on was close knit and great. The free food was good with biweekly catered lunches and stocked kitchen. Very flexible work environment. Friendly people, decent pay, and they provided the tools that were necessary to get your job done.

Cons

The management is ineffective at establishing vision or inspiring talent. Often it seemed like the product was going in one direction and execs in another. Engineering-led organizations only work if they have a vision and can deliver products and updates consistently and quickly--this one did not. People would work from home far too often to the point that most people checked in at 11 and out at 3. The executive team of salesmen seemed woefully unconcerned with the performance of the company, except during the last week of the quarter.

Advice to Management

The board needs to fire the executive team after they've run this successful company into the ground. Bring in a turnaround CEO to salvage what's left, and hopefully they can maintain a going concern. They're already pretty much starting from scratch.

Virtana2015-10-25
  6. "This company ROCKs!"

in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Virtana

Pros

the work environment is excellent. There's no politics and my ideas are heard. There's not a lot of process yet so every contribution counts. The people are friendly and happy to assist each other. People are excited about the direction of the company and are working together.

Cons

The company is growing so fast that I wish I was able to meet every new person or that there are more social events so get people together. I think the company is working on this so I'm looking forward to it. I think the more fun we have during the start-up phase will really solidify my experience with Virtual Instruments

Advice to Management

Please keep up what you are doing in growing this company. I really think this company has a lot of potential. Please also have more employee social events. I think the more fun we have during the start-up phase will really solidify my experience with

Virtana2012-03-14