Virtua Health Nurse Reviews | Glassdoor

Virtua Health Nurse Reviews

Updated Oct 6, 2019

4.5
Virtua Health President and CEO Dennis W. Pullin (no image)
Dennis W. Pullin
1 Rating
  1. "Great pay, good benefits, good culture"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at Virtua Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

They took me with my Associate's Degree on the promise that I would earn a BSN by the end of 2020. They pay up to $4000/yr for undergraduate coursework, up to $5000/yr for graduate coursework. I feel well-supported by management; they want to see me succeed. They recently achieved Magnet recognition so that is a badge of honor. I think as a whole, we provide good care for our patients, and for the most part the patients recognize and appreciate it. We get union representation with JNESO, through which we get a shift differential of hourly base +10% for evening hours (3p-11p) or hourly base +17% for night hours (11p-7a). PTO is accrued at a nice rate (in my opinion.) You have the option to be cancelled and stay home (provided that you submit a request for cancellation and the hospital is overstaffed (it is first-come, first-served)). If you do get cancelled, taking PTO is an option; if you waive it, you simply don't don't get any pay for that shift.

Cons

It's an old building so some surface appearances are not the greatest. Some equipment like IV pumps and beds are old. The tele packs (which are new) often don't transmit rhythms well due to corrosion built up on terminal connections. There are not many sinks on the unit (outside of the patient rooms.) Often times, the water doesn't get very hot. Many rooms are still dual-occupancy which is an issue for some patients. Some which are single-occupancy can still go to double if we are "surging." There is no blackout period for admissions so the ED can initiate a transfer to the unit while you're in the middle of handover. Recent changes in which employees were relocated to Voorhees required flexibility on the part of many nurses, some of whom felt a little strong-armed into the move.

Advice to Management

You're dealing with a lot of changes, I know. I can't personally complain of any hardships (I didn't choose this profession because it was easy) I would like to see better functioning telemetry packs soon. If possible, it would be great to make all rooms private (and keep them that way) and give them a more modernized appearance.

Virtua Health2019-10-07
  2. "Culture was impressive!"

Former Employee - Oncology Nurse in Voorhees, NJ

I worked at Virtua Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CEO Rich was incredible and led by example. He had a great vision and strategy. Recognized strong performers and changed the culture and the results. Fox Chase brought name recognition to an excellent program.

Cons

Strategy was not always rolled down and supported by Sr Leaders. Salaries were not standard...two people in same dept/same years of experience were not equally compensated/same level. This took time to resolve with merit increases, etc. normal growing pains with large, multi site system

Virtua Health2019-10-04
  3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Assistant Nurse Manager

I have been working at Virtua Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and excellent caring nurses

Cons

None that I can think of

Virtua Health2019-09-16
  4. "2nd home"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Mount Holly, NJ

I have been working at Virtua Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Education, residents, staff, and activities

Cons

Too far from my home

Advice to Management

Always listen first

Virtua Health2019-09-06
  5. "RN Emergency Department Review"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Virtua Health part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, scheduling (every third weekend), high acuity, great coworkers

Cons

Not enough staff for acuity, management

Virtua Health2019-04-14
  6. "not bad as a first nursing job"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Berlin, NJ

I have been working at Virtua Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are nice and helpful, always have shifts available to pick up

Cons

Staffing needs not always met, high turnover rate

Virtua Health2019-03-31

"Med surg staff floor nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at Virtua Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The staff is amazing. Like family. Voorhees building is beautiful and supplies and support are easily available.

Cons

6 to 1 patient ratio is too much!!! No matter what they promise or report, most days we have a 6 to 1 assignment. PCT ratios ar usually 12 to 1 but often are 24 to 1.

Advice to Management

Measure acuity and needs of patient and increase RN and PCT staff on floors!!!

Virtua Health2018-05-14

"Virtua"

Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at Virtua Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, competitive salary, plenty of overtime with bonuses

Cons

Company doesn't care about your health or well being. Doesn't care if you sleep, eat or pee. Does not provide a safe working environment. Abundant staff injuries that administration will penalize you for

Virtua Health2016-05-05

"LPN"

Current Employee - Nurse in Mount Holly, NJ

I have been working at Virtua Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

Virtua health is one of the best place to work, employee satisfaction is great and the way Virtua gives quality care for their patients is awesome. You have opportunity to grow and learn a lot on the job by giving update education to their employees.

Cons

I have not found one. Just amazing!

Virtua Health2016-04-20
  10. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at Virtua Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Virtua Health is a leader in providing quality health care to the South Jersey area. We are compassionate, kind, and leaders in the industry.

Cons

South Jersey is saturated with other hospitals and health care systems. Patients have many facilities to choose their care. A large determining factor to care is price. Virtua is not the least expensive, nor the most expensive. The constant struggle of winning patients with quality while saving money is difficult.

Advice to Management

Listen the most to front line workers. We are the eyes, ears, and hands of the industry. Trust us. We are doing what is best for the patient.

Virtua Health2015-12-26