Virtual Instruments Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Virtual Instruments CEO Philippe Vincent
Philippe Vincent
Pros
Cons
  • "Senior management don't know how to run a startup(in 8 reviews)

• "CEO goes duck hunting while the company is laying off 2/3 of its hard workers and is about to go under(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time

Pros

Great technology. Great management. One of the top companies I've ever worked for.

Cons

No down side. You get what you put into a job. No complaining.

Virtual Instruments2018-08-22
    • "Changing for the better!"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Energetic engineering team Opportunities to take on leadership roles Willingness of mgmt to change process to suit business needs

Cons

Still some silos that need to be broken down Efforts needed to bring water development to a more streamline iterative processes

Advice to Management

Consider enhancing 401k retirement benefits (add company matching) Continue efforts to streamline & align development & QE efforts

Virtual Instruments2019-02-21
    • "Lots of changes in Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The engineers are generally approachable and competent

Cons

Wholesale changes often done without much engineer feedback Getting more and more hierarchical Tendency to declare false victory when a more honest assessment would be better

Advice to Management

Remember it is still a startup Remember engineers need to feel included and valued Remember engineers can see reality so no need for spin Remember diversity of ideas are better for the company

Virtual Instruments2019-02-03

Virtual Instruments Response

February 21, 2019Sr. Director HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We welcome people sharing their opinions and recommendations. Please know you can contact me or any member of the engineering management team so we can benefit from a conversation and really understand what the issues are. Change ...

"Engineering org changes not looking positive"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart and dedicated engineers who can work in tight situations. New learning with new aggressive process changes.

Cons

Engineering org is recently in trouble as big company culture and processes are being introduced affecting the team morale and the desire to deliver as previous year which was the key strength of this organization. Aggressive changes are not good when the previous process worked and engineers delivered the features and product. Top down process is being introduced but this is a start up where all people have the same...

Advice to Management

Please keep the culture alive of this company as that has been the strength which kept engineers wanting to work and deliver. Do not lower the bar with new management changes, it will hurt the company.

Virtual Instruments2019-02-18

Virtual Instruments Response

February 21, 2019Sr. Director HR

• "Good Company"

Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI

I worked at Virtual Instruments full-time

Pros

Solid loyal Customer Base - Good people work at VI that really care about making a difference for not only their customers but employees too

Cons

Potentially considered a niche solution but, still needed for those that use a 3 tier infrastructure approach

Virtual Instruments2018-09-26
      • "Plenty of opportunities and good work/life balance."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong engineering department. Room for career growth. Strong leadership. Nice/friendly environment.

Cons

A large percentage is primarily telecommuters which I'm sure is nice.

Advice to Management

Consider creating team lead roles to drive coordination as opposed to a structure of a single manager with dozens of direct reports.

Virtual Instruments2018-08-07
      • "I have worked in multiple small companies, VI is smart about their business approaches and takes care of their people"

Current Employee - Customer Service in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Execs and the board are running this as a smart business. Expanding product lines to capture new markets. Providing new features for existing product lines to keep customers. Providing excellent Professional Services and Support to retain customers. Also they are smart about their spending, not cheap but conservative. Competitive benefits and salaries and new interesting projects to retain talent. Communication of the...

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there is no 401K matching. That would be an excellent addition to the compensation package even if it starts small percentage wise

Advice to Management

Stay the course, this is a great company to work for with exciting on-going potential

Virtual Instruments2018-07-20
      • "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time

Pros

- Good work culture - Free food - Good technology stack - Innovative - Very friendly staff

Cons

- Unlimited leaves, but they don't accrue

Virtual Instruments2018-07-20
      • "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time

Pros

Team, benefits, and work-life balance. Company has a solid legacy business and is expanding into new markets with good upside potential.

Cons

Still no 401(k) matching. Employees have been asking for this for some time.

Advice to Management

We usually get too ambitious with major releases and have to pare back the feature set near the end of the release cycle. IMO that's a waste of our time. We could be a little more conservative at the outset.

Virtual Instruments2018-07-17
      • "Good engineers team(s)"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Virtual Instruments for more than 3 years

Pros

Talented and very qualified engineers. Flexible work environment and working hours. Home made beer parties twice a month.

Cons

Very bad office location. Do not hold anything valuable in the car. One of the office neighbor is Santa Clara County Office of Pretrial Services. No good coffee and you cannot do anything with this. Do not refund expenses for books and education.

Advice to Management

Less politics and more attention to work process.

Virtual Instruments2018-07-14