Visa Inc. Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Updated January 23, 2017

Denver, CO Area

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Visa Inc. CEO Alfred F. Kelly, Jr.
Alfred F. Kelly, Jr.

Cons

1. "Sr Software Configuration"

Current Employee - Senior Software Configuration Analyst in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Configuration Analyst in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great brand, good stock

Cons

Management, working from home issues

Advice to Management

Only have people persons be in management

Feb 7, 2017 – The Visa Team

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your time here at Visa and value the brand and its benefits. It’s important to find the right day-to-day work balance and we encourage you to have a conversation ... More

2. "Good company"

Former Employee - Technology Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Technology Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time

Pros

People are great to work with, never encountered a bad apple. Management is reasonable for how big they are. Technology they has available is second to none. Pay was great.

Cons

If i has to pick something I would say they are serious about company processes, but for the industry they are in, plus the scope of what they are doing, it's not terrible.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing things just about as right as can be managed.

Dec 14, 2016 – The Visa Team

Thanks for the positive review – happy to hear you enjoyed working with great people and enjoyed all the amazing innovation!

"Sr Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New senior management has no clue what is going on. CEO did a poor job hiring them. They don't care about existing employees, just want to bring in their own people. No respect or value for the experienced staff

Cons

Great folks to work with. Mostly very talented individuals, good compensation and benefits.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, value those who have come before you. When you say "all I want to hear is..." then that is what you get.

Nov 25, 2016 – The Visa HR Team

Great to see that you appreciated the talented team you worked with, compensation and benefits. Sorry to hear that you did not feel valued while here. We believe in universal acceptance for everyone ... More

"Visa Broke Me!"

Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time

Pros

Large household name with a good reputation. It is was got me my next job!
    Pay is good, Benefits were good until I decided to leave, and are being pulled away to be "inline with other organizations."
    Working with a diverse amount of technology was fun.
    Working with organizations and companies in other companies was fun a few years ago.

Cons

The Pension benefit was good, but taking a 6% paycut for a company who is still grossing $2 Billion last quarter is still a slap in the face to its core workers for a company that wants to be "The Employer of Choice!"
    Trying to get advancement is basically impossible. I was up for a promotion to a management position that I meet every qualification, had the acceptance of the team members and my would-be immediate manager wanted me. Senior Management would not even allow me to have an interview to show my skills and the value I could bring to the environment.
    High-Profile, High-Cost projects were given to the kids straight out of college. This is not an environment where a "fail-fast" mentality works, and management misses that. These projects are big and a fail by Visa means we are not just effecting our company, we will effect the markets. Would you give your multi-million shiny new toy to the kid out of college? No! You would give it to be lead by some of your most senior, experienced people. This management feels it is fit to have the older staff look after the legacy environments and give the new toys to the college grads. No wonder the IT organization has/had not delivered any major projects in over a year when I left. Before this IT management came in, we were delivering 4-5 major projects a year.
    And Speaking of the new management, it is not good when you can hear of the entire IT management structure being replaced in the span of just 18 months. Go look up other studies of what that kind of turmoil does to a company. Absolutely incredible that the board of directories would see this as a major red flag for running a technology of this company and forcing out that many leaders. And then that takes a huge impact on your staff.
    When I started this company, I was ready to take on the world, and I did. I ran major projects worth $10's Millions. When I left, I was having a very hard time caring about anything because of this management. They are condescending, arrogant, and only want to have others from other companies that they have worked with before working with them.

Advice to Management

I am hoping that with the exit of Charlie, the new President will see the lack of deliverables by the IT organization and begin with removing his CIO. Too bad he is still going to get his obscene bonus for being fired. Look at the IT Management and the lack of completed work because of the bickering and the constant political game between managers who are trying to look important instead of focusing on delivering results.

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

Great team, really friendly people

Cons

I didn't find any con

"Great Opportunities Lots of Challenges"

Current Employee - Director IT in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director IT in Denver, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time

Pros

Highly recognized, nice environment, good benefits

Cons

Constant restructuring, insecurity about longevity, extremely bureaucratic. Not sure who or how industry judges were impressed to award the company or executives with those accolades. Perception is very different from reality.

Advice to Management

Come on the floor and engage with the people. Townhalls are ok but not everyone talks to you. Be brave don't just make decisions in a silo and then send out a memo. We work hard but you collect the most from our hard work. Don't make cuts, stop the bleeding at the top instead. Stop the expensive offsite management gatherings. Show some humility. We have families to support, kids to put through schools, and mortgages to pay. Why is it so difficult to get promoted? Why can't it be made easier to apply for a position internally? Since I am very capable of managing what I do, why do I need a manager who is so out of touch with what I do? Where there are no managers on site, do you know of the people who do nothing and just milk the company? Take a deeper look at the hiring pattern in IT; there is a lot of nepotism. I love working here, just don't like the bureaucracy.

"Learning that money isn't everything the hard way"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bonuses put your pay above average and the benefits were pretty decent last year compared with other companies. Tuition reimbursement is nice if you can find the time to utilize it. Location of office.

Cons

0 transparency from C level.
    Constant chasing of the latest buzzwords, trends and geographic locales to be like the cool SF area start ups but not wanting to offer the perks of the industry leaders.
    Long hours and no recognition
    People are just numbers and should just feel pride in working for Visa.
    If you ask a question in a town hall or mgmt briefing you'd better have your resume up to date. The turnover is incredible over the last year between reorgs, attrition and goal to off shore as much as possible.
    A few hard workers hold up the incompetent mgmt.

"Good company, bad manager"

Former Intern - Systems Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Intern - Systems Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Visa Inc. as an intern

Pros

Great executive leadership. Good business that has been growing alot and will continue to grow in the years to come.

Cons

Private companies have little job security. Management roles aren't clearly defined. You may end up reporting to three people.

Advice to Management

Be more in tuned with your employees

"They treat you like an interchangeable part"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, facilities are clean (but the open-office design sucks), lots of interesting projects with much to learn if you can withstand the questionable leadership.

Cons

It starts at the top with poor decision making and new high-level selections for critical positions. Payment industry experience is not required nor is it important for many. IT leadership is a joke and a sham. Bad decisions and very US-unfriendly hiring practices.

Advice to Management

Don't try to fix what already works. Embrace telecommuting and remote employment -- which will get you a far more diverse pool of talent than you get now. The offshore hiring wave costs perfectly capable people in the US of good jobs. Hiring college grads with no previous experience does not make things better or easier.

11. "Infrastructure Project manager"

Current Contractor - Infrastructure Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Contractor - Infrastructure Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its the best firm to work with

Cons

Its the best client for me

Showing 62 of 1,687 reviews