Visa Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 12, 2018
1,029 reviews

US - All Cities

3.4
Visa Inc. CEO Alfred F. Kelly, Jr.
Alfred F. Kelly, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life-balance can be weighted more to work" (in 105 reviews)

• "Senior management empower only their favorite reports and never care of motivating the team" (in 98 reviews)

1. "Employee Friendly CEO"

Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO is bringing lot of change. He cares about employees. Benefits are good. Generous PTOs.

Cons

Bureaucracy, politics and unnecessary spending is always there.

Advice to Management

Continue watching unnecessary spending.

2. "Great Tech Opportunities"

Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Encourages innovation, best IT techs ever, great benefits and compensation, promotes diversity, gives back to the community.

CEO is engaged with the people, customers, and the market.

Great place to work

Cons

None I can think of

3. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Foster City, CA

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative culture, good benefits, casual

Cons

Driven by wall street earnings calls.

Advice to Management

Better communication of bad news.

4. "Good company to work for with great benefits"

Current Employee - Director of Finance in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Finance in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent work hours and great benefits from CEO

Cons

Over complicated approval process and slow reaction to the market.

5. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Director Risk Product in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director Risk Product in Denver, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, great environment.

Cons

Nothing to say, great place to work.

"Good compensation but poor work life balance"

Former Employee - Director in Foster City, CA

I worked at Visa Inc. (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and compensation
    Stable business model, not affected by change in economy

Cons

Hectic work environment
    Lot of management turnover
    Poor work life balance

"DON'T DO IT, CANNOT LIVE UP TO THEIR REPUTATION"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Tier II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Tier II in Austin, TX

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet alot of different people, friendly environment, sponsored meals, always busy. Can learn about banking and its procedures, there are some people that are really there to help you, others not so much.

Cons

Not appreciated, constantly lying to customers on behalf of VISA, business partners are dishonest, you are not given the tools to assist the customer, but are expected to assist. Phone is constantly ringing off the hook with upset customers about procedures in place and fees being ridiculous. Not what you expect for a company like VISA, also depends on what department you are in and nationality. Lots of in house back biting, upright snakes lying on the lawn.

Advice to Management

Learn your product, when team member is asking for assistance, be versed in the product to provide assistance to the your team member and the customer. Team leads get paid to assist, not do everything not to assist.

"Happy!"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Get to work with brilliant and kind people. Team members treat each other with respect. Management takes care of it’s employees.

Cons

More EV charging stations and shuttle stops from Fremont would be nice!

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Events, Stock Employee Purchase, 401k 2-1 Matching

Cons

Not much diversity in certain offices

"Worst experience I've ever had"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO Al Kelley has been great at focusing on employee morale and satisfaction over the past couple of years. However, many of the policies he publishes are not followed by management. They have offered some nice new benefits such as time off for elderly/emergency care. However, those are pretty standard.

Thanks to Dee Hock, Visa has a great business model that will continue to generate growth for years to come. I am certain that the folks outside of technology are working for a great company.

Cons

Since this is a one star review, I will start by saying I didn't submit this lightly. I read several other reviews that indicate a similar experience in Austin and now hope that this will lead to some sort of positive change. I see that HR responds to these by saying to call a "hotline" which I did months before I wrote this ( August 2018). This should be the first red flag. To be fair, I will also say the Technology organization is divided into two different organizations. One is, DMPD ( digital mobile product development) which likely doesn't have the same issues I am about to enumerate.

Let me address why I gave everything one star ( except benefits) :

Career Opportunities : I applied, interviewed and tested for an internal position. Was then asked by the hiring manager to continue to the last phase of the process but was blocked by my current management. No opportunity to learn and apply new tech, and I am not alone in this assessment. This is an example of how they publish a policy about internal mobility but allow management to actively ruin your career. Nobody has your back.

Compensation : Was lured in by a pension, but a few months later it was "frozen" i.e. canceled. They are stingy with stock as well, and the ESPP is not great, as you are forced to hold shares for over a year which means several are under water right now.

They have a 10% 401K match but most the fidelity funds have lost money this year. There is no fund above a morningstar rating of 3.

Their benefits are decent ( 4 weeks PTO ), and better than most any smaller company, but definitely not in the top tier.

Work Life Balance : This can be one of the worst things about Visa. Working in Technology, the release process can be manual and antiquated. Many career Visa employees are resistant to modernizing such processes. Get ready to spend all weekend with little sleep doing a manual release. It's not fun, and you don't learn anything. Secondly, there is not good co-location and ownership with teams in some organizations including mine. If you are in the US, you may find yourself being asked to attend meetings at all hours of the day and night, during lunch etc.. Can't get away for a workout and there is little flexibility in schedule.

Senior Management : Every year, they have an annual survey, and the feedback on important items like having the tools to do your job is low and blatantly ignored ( every year). Nothing meaningful is ever done, They think making a better expense reporting mechanism, or ticketing system is "good enough". The laptop you rely on to do your work is so bogged down by onerous security software and constant patching it's really tough to be efficient. If you're lucky your laptop will be rebooted several times a week and sometimes take hours to become available again. Otherwise, you'll end up taking it to IT for a long time.

Also, the proxy server you are forced to use will block you from basic tools such as github and downloading simple eclipse plugins. Blocking some sites makes sense, but basic stuff is not attainable with any reliability.

Culture and Values : This is the worst aspect of Visa. It is the least diverse workplace I've ever been a part of. It's a top down sort of arrangement where your manager suddenly tells you to do 5 different things out of the blue, because his/her manager told them to make you do this. Given that most employees are fearful they generally drop what they are doing to try and please the manager. At the end of the day you end up with your head spinning and there is little if any acknowledgement when you fight through the clutter and accomplish something meaningful.

English is spoken less than other languages in the cubicles. I felt like an alien in my own country working here.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with respect. Throw away the powerpoint slides and canned demos. make a serious evaluation of what the Technology organization has delivered in the past 4 years.