Visa Inc. Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Visa Inc. San Francisco Reviews

Updated June 24, 2017

San Francisco, CA Area

Cons

"Terrific brand but toxic environment, Senior Director Marketing"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really good people at Visa and the brand is very strong, so they are positioned to be the leader in a dynamically changing category. The product team is strong, growing, open minded & very dynamic. The new CEO seems really terrific.

Cons

The problem is most senior management is weak and people are more concerned about their own career than how the company is doing. So you end up having data buried or massaged to look positive. People do not want to hear truth, they want to show how successful their work is. The politics are worse than any company I have ever been in, where people are not invited to meetings based on title and not encouraged to be open and honest. There are groups that are better than others, but if you are looking to have a meaningful impact and care more about the company than your own career, this may not be the right fit for you. The company does not reward good managers and leaders. And so when the annual reorg comes up, the people at senior levels that are causing this bad culture stay.

Advice to Management

Take a look at senior management and get people in who care about doing the right thing for the future of the company/

"Run, Forrest, Run! if you are in Digital Group"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong brand name, good benefits and market value if you are in digital group because of the kind of partners you associate with (Apple, Google etc.)

Cons

My title sums it all. I don't even know where to start but if there is one place where you can learn how NOT to lead and treat people with disrespect then you are at Visa. There is racism as an icing on the cake.

Learn whatever you can in terms of career progression and run as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

Grow up!

3. "Risk Management"

Former Contractor - Information Security in Foster City, CA
    Former Contractor - Information Security in Foster City, CA

I worked at Visa Inc. as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility atleast in my team. Not sure about other teams

Cons

I did not see any cons. I was not FTE

"A lot of nepotism"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coffee was ok. The support for equipment like keyboard / mouse was speedy.

Cons

You had to bow to some manager before they will do anything, unlike other tech companies. Some "friends" could be hired for high salary but not doing the job really at the high quality.

Advice to Management

If you allow nepotism, it is going to ruin the company.

"Change is Good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Always good to see respected big brands continue to evolve and change. Great time to be here to try new things. You can carve out your own role here and won't be just a number
    -Amazing innovation happening. Org/business strategy changes for the better
    -Dynamic, credible and authentic new CEO who values employees. He cares about people and wants to develop our leadership
    - Great benefits - they keep adding more and more

Cons

-Change is good, typical growing pains associated
    -Some tools and processes are challenging, but being addressed at highest levels

Advice to Management

-Keep open communication coming. CEO's straightforward style helps give context to change

Visa Inc. Response

Mar 27, 2017 – The Visa Team

Thanks for the five-star review- happy to see that you’re enjoying all the good that’s happening within our organization! We agree that it is a time of positive change and look forward to what’s ... More

6. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Innovative and transformative culture that promotes risking taking

Cons

Meetings for meetings for decision making process

Advice to Management

Enable more people to make decisions and be accountable

"Toxic Culture that HR Tries to Hide by Soliciting Positive Reviews from Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brand and business model is solid.

Cons

- Bureaucratic, hierarchical and super political - promotions are given to completely objectively unqualified individuals purely based on favoritism.

- HR is unethical with promotions, sharing employees' private information, performance reviews

- HR is an impotent function that protects bad manager behavior at the expense of high performing employees - huge exodus of high performing talent in recent months especially after the layoffs.

- No work-life balance - expected to always be "on-call" working weekends and evenings

- Very poor management and leadership - they make promises and then don't follow through, always with poor excuses

- Leaders don't care about employee development, only about making themselves look good - especially HR - all marketing hype.

- Recent "positive" reviews have been solicited by HR/Marketing to try to improve Glassdoor rating - but a great company shouldn't need to ask for positive reviews - its employees and customers should sing its praises on their own.

Advice to Management

Al Kelly - take a hard look at your executive leadership and cull the bad ones out quickly. Talk to employees on the ground and multiple levels below your leadership to get a real picture. Dig deep into your engagement survey results to ferret out the bad managers.

8. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Microstrategy Lead in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Microstrategy Lead in Foster City, CA

I worked at Visa Inc. (Less than a year)

Pros

good technology exposure in here

Cons

nothing much to say about

"Payment Industry Leader"

Current Employee - Auditor in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Auditor in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Visa just switched to a new CEO who appears to be more open minded, and encouraging compared to the previous CEO. Each team has different culture, and luckily my team truly believes in developing and growing members of our team. Our management constantly encourages us to share our thoughts on the things they could improve on (e.g., flexible work remote policy).

Cons

The cultural fostered at each team is different. While I enjoy my current team, I also heard that some management from other teams did not care about their members and their well being.

10. "Director, HR"

Former Employee - Partner in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Partner in Foster City, CA

I worked at Visa Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Rapidly changing environment in a high tech setting. You work with some of the smartest individuals in the payments services industry utilizing collaboration, partnerships and creativity.

Cons

Decisions can seem somewhat slow in a rapid changing environment. Environments can also seem chaotic and feel out of control.

Advice to Management

Focus on a few priorities versus a few hundred priorities that never really are solved or take hold.

Showing 716 of 1,837 reviews