Viscira Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Gulezian

Pros
  • The work/life balance is really good (in 3 reviews)

• We do great work, we get annual bonuses, we have company sponsored happy hours, we have a walking group (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance for anyone but the execs (in 9 reviews)

• There is no work life balance and its a very stressful environment (in 5 reviews)

"Viscira is an agency to join!"

Current Employee - Director, Account Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Account Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira full-time

Pros

We do great work, work you can be proud.
    Our reputation with our clients is solid.
    Incredibly nice staff.
    Understanding & caring management.

Cons

Nothing that I would mention as they are minimal.

"An Excellent Place to Work."

Current Employee - Animation Department in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Animation Department in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you've worked at more than a few places, you'll recognize that overall this is a very well managed company with great culture. If it's your first job, be ready to work.

Staff are hired very carefully, resulting in a bunch of really good people successfully doing their best work together. The company has been extremely fair with me and others; I feel appreciated and frankly wouldn't want to work elsewhere. As an added benefit, the subject matter is really interesting and it's been wonderful learning about the intricate and amazing processes of the body and its systems, down at the molecular and cellular level. More engaging for me than commercials or effects films; it's in some ways like effects work except it's real.

I just looked through the mix of reviews and my main thought is, if you find yourself working somewhere and it's not working for you, move along. I've been in animation for over two decades and this is overall the most pleasant and respectful workplace I've experienced in that field. I recommended it to a family member, if that means anything.

Cons

Some might say the company is slow to bring on new staff when needed. Personally I would much rather be with a company that grows cautiously than the more common company that grows too quickly and then dies when work falls a bit, so I actually am glad to see this. Just expect a thorough interviewing process!

"Glad to be here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a lot of great people to work with and vibe off of. Very stable company that does a lot of amazing work. Pretty good work/life balance compared to other places I've been.

Cons

Sometimes the timelines can get a bit crazy, but I never feel like it's something I can't handle.

Advice to Management

Add more staff.

"Hard Work Rewarded!"

Current Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just found out that company is paying out bonuses for 2016 performance. Woo Hoo! Worked hard this year. Lots of tight deadlines. Some long hours so bonus feels good. Worked this hard at company before this one, too. Was promised a bonus, but never saw it. Nice to be rewarded for hard work.

Cons

Periods where there are long hours because of tight deadlines.

Advice to Management

Keep the bonuses coming!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the creative environment! We do great work, we get annual bonuses, we have company sponsored happy hours, we have a walking group....lots of things to be happy about here.

Cons

The small group of whiners need to grow up, get an attitude change, or just leave instead of making the rest of us miserable. If there can be anything to complain about - they will find it. It's really too bad and it's really annoying.For example, we get free, healthy snacks in the break room. But after the whiners hoard and take a week's worth of snacks, they will complain that the snacks are all gone! Seriously ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Weed these people out! And stop taking so long!

"A dysfunctional, hot-mess of a company."

I worked at Viscira full-time

Pros

1) Good for junior level folks looking to get some experience and resume padding. You will learn relevant skills there.

2) Some really good people working at the individual contributor level.

Cons

1) Compensation is significantly below market rate for all positions. This includes both salary and quality of benefits.

2) Both middle and upper management tiers are filled with extremely weak leaders.

3) Turnover is very, very high. For such a small organization to lose 5-10 people a month really says a lot.

4) Teams don't generally work well inter-departmentally. Manifests as passive-aggressive non-cooperation and general unwillingness to help co-workers.

Advice to Management

1) Stick up for your employees at least some of the time. ALL of your clients know Viscira are pushovers and will stick it to you every time -- always at the expense of the rank and file employees that have to work weekends and regular 12 hour days because not a single client manager or executive knows how to say no.

2) Stop repeating the same mistakes over and over and over and over again. It's completely demoralizing to identify an issue, solve it and then watch the leadership team steer the ship right back into the same problem week after week. It's like living in a TV sitcom where no one grows and nothing progress (and minus the humor).

3) Cull underperformers. Again, it's demoralizing to give it 110% while the person sitting next to you is giving 70% (and everyone knows it).

4) Demonstrate actual leadership. Barking orders and laying blame is not leadership. Instead inspire loyalty, develop values and foster a healthy work culture. At the very least this will help with recruiting despite below market rate compensation.

"Contract Visual Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Viscira (Less than a year)

Pros

A very organized company.

Cons

I wasn't there long enough to find out how the work environment was?

"I'm happy and I'm not alone"

Current Employee - B D in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - B D in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We just got a bonus after Viscira was acquired. If you've been here a year, you get money. And why are people complaining??? This doesn't take into account our annual bonus that we already get for meeting goals etc. I have never worked at a place that gives bonuses, doesn't ever have lay offs, has company sponsored Happy Hours, and team building events. There are plenty of us at Viscira who feel grateful for the work we do and the people we work with.

Cons

When it's busy, it's busy. But I like having ups and downs in my schedule. There are lots of us who also are able to work from home on occasion (yes- this is taken advantage of by some). Also people take advantage of the unlimited PTO. It just seems like too often the negative few get too loud.

Advice to Management

The negative voices are a distraction.

"Love love the creative work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative is stellar
    People are amazing

Cons

Too many competing priorities
    Not enough support

Advice to Management

Hire more support

"Collapsing, Rotten and Poisonous Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Viscira full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people in the company are great, friendly and really skilled. It is such a pity that the company has no idea how to manage all that talent properly.
    Location is not bad and Off The Grid has a market nearby three days per week.

Cons

So many. It is sad to even think about it...
    Viscira is the worst place I have worked for. I have been in bad companies before, but this one is the worst one by far.
    It is a poisonous place and it is so depressing and mismanaged that those bad feelings will end up rooting in you personal life and sucking the happiness out of it. Leaving was the best decission I have ever made.
    Most managers have no idea how to do their job. They are managing other people just because they were in the right place at the right moment, but they feel that their position makes them more talented or have more knowledge than anybody on their team. When something goes wrong, it is always other people's fault, because managers are perfect, of course.
    If you work at Viscira, prepare yourself to work non-paid overtime, because that is the way they do every single project. The work load is excesive and the pipeline is retarded, but instead of changing it, they just expect you to have everything on time, perfect quality, and at the same time that you are working on two or three other projects and attending several useless meetings per day. Am! Don't expect to have a good salary either! They will pay you under the average for sure.
    In two years there I heard SO many lies... I'm not sure if they like to think employees are stupid, but they repeat the same lies over and over. I can't count the amount of times I heard about 401K matching...
    Also, to finish my review, I want to point out that those three five star reviews in a row, are done by high position people in the company wanting to increase the rating. They wrote some of the same lies that will tell you on your interview, same exact words!, and some of the ones they keep saying all the time. Just check the dates. All of the sudden, three wonderful reviews in three days... Don't let them lie to you.

Advice to Management

Some self-criticism would be awesome. If people are leaving is because they are unhappy, not because they can't handle the pressure. Be more humble and accept that you are doing things wrong. You should reconsider who really deserve to be managing a team. Don't treat people like they are stupid. And please, stop lying!