Visionworks Retail Supervisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Visionworks CEO James N. Eisen
James N. Eisen
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get a free pair of glasses after working there for a certain amount of time (in 15 reviews)

• Fun coworkers and good benefits (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible management upper management is terrible (in 36 reviews)

• Each store doesn't have enough hours to make most of their employees full time, so if part timers want to become (in 17 reviews)

1. "Decent Money, Poor Advancement"

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good money, hourly and commission both.
    Commission percent increases once certain sales figures are reached. Rarely cold calling customers, glasses are necessity so closing sales isn’t difficult.

Cons

Promotions from inside generally come with lower pay than someone coming on from outside the industry. Tiers for commission increase reset every year so all that hard work and fight for more money gets wiped away with the new year. Commission tier goals change almost every year (generally to make them harder to reach so the company saves money). Multiple goals to reach and maintain, however all should be heavily exceeded in order to receive good yearly review (hitting all standards typically only gets you a 3 out of 5 rating). Even with 4 rating, don’t expect more than .50¢ yearly raise.

Advice to Management

Promoting from inside should come with better pay than for someone with no industry experience. Yearly raises should be worth more than almost .50¢, especially since there are no yearly bonus (unless you’re a GM or higher) and your commission resets every year with larger tier goals.

2. "Retail Supervisor"

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and commission is decent

Cons

Outdated systems, poor training, don't value customer service

Advice to Management

Maybe develop a better training system for new employees.

3. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Visionworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is great with coaching and developing staff. Great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Can't really think of any.

"Retail supervisor"

Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Grove City, OH

I worked at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Good vacation. Good PTO. That's about it. Other than that I would waist my time with them. I gave them two years I can not get back.

Cons

Upper management doesn't understand the the folks at the store level. They hire outsiders with little experience to manage stores and don't promote experienced existing leaders from within to management. A lot of gossip and backstabbing.

Advice to Management

To upper management work in your stores to understand how it really works and see for yourself who is good and who is bad.

5. "the good and bad"

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love my coworkers. Good insurance and benefits. understanding GM

Cons

Yes we have hired more people, but not everyone is fully trained.from the moment I get to work most of the time I do not stop remakes, customer service issues, adjusting glasses, explaining insurance to employees and patients checking e-mail, checking late jobs in lab, having other call me with questions and the phone ringing with me and one other person there. Do I get the phone or continue to help the patient I am helping

Advice to Management

Realize there are some times when overtime is justified I would rather not stay but I do not like leaving my coworkers hanging when we are busy. I also do not want to when I have people waiting to check out and they see me leaving and wonder why I can not help . Then I see get and leave store and say they will not be back

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really contribute to your growth and want to see you succeed with the company. Great training. And amazing community outreach things that they offer.

Cons

None really! I am very pleased with my employer and look forward to a great future with this company. Great place to work.

7. "Licensed Optician / Manager"

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor/Optician
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor/Optician

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with some of the best people I've ever been introduced to. Room for advancement. Benefits are a plus.

Cons

Little to no support from Senior Management. Poor implementation to new idea/plans, etc. Little to no training on transitioning programs.

Advice to Management

Think before you do. Make a plan. Execute it properly.

"This 2-star rating was more generous than my raise"

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Optical is a nice line of work and can translate into many different directions; good training for any number of clinical positions. You'll work with some good people, and the doctors are often cool. They are thankfully insulated from the retail side that drives the rest of the store.

Money is not great starting out but a little better than minimum wage. Can work around school schedules and life schedules and so forth.

Cons

Absolutely boneheaded management. Very sales-driven company; most of their effort is spent on figuring out how to extract every last possible cent from every patient, and negatively reinforcing behavior that results in patients not buying stuff. I wouldn't send my family here, unless it was for the $1 eye exams in the month of December, and even then I'd take the prescription and get them to buy glasses online where they are monumentally cheaper.

Their idea of "SUPERSERVING" (actual language used in company documents) the patient is to sell them the $600 glasses.

Upper management beyond the store level is just completely out of touch with reality; people are generally promoted because someone liked them rather than any sort of meritocracy. They obsess over numbers and small stuff that doesn't matter and have no idea what it's like to actually work in a store.

The entire staff is responsible for an obscene amount of paperwork. It'd be one thing if it just boiled down to patient-related stuff, but much of it is like pointless homework, like Take 5 reports, which are like TPS reports. It puts a huge amount of stress on the managers and pulls them away from the rest of the store. Paperwork can even be used as a weapon if a store is designated as having inventory issues.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and be replaced with nothing. Or failing that, get a grip on what it's actually like to work in a store for a day. Learn how to have a sense of humility, find your humanity, and try not to come off like squidpeople when you visit the store.

"Retail supervisor"

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in McAllen, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in McAllen, TX

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job to learn the basics. Lets you develop in understanding the optical field. Management team is great. I think majority of the bad coments comes from depending on the managers. My team is very happy over all. Vacations are givenupon of request withno hesitation. Like any retail, theres is blackout vacations periods but sometimes they still get approve. District manager is always understandful in regards to meeting sales, always cheerung you up to motivate for great success.

Cons

Like other mentioned, the company is getting to much micro management and they want money, instead of customer sat. There is little room for growth. Managers jyst follow rules so really cant judge them for wanting more sales, its the company that is putting pressure.

Advice to Management

Just to acknowledge the defication of employees when there is. Also raises might be a bit better but then again sometimes company diesnt want to approve it. Gm us very helpful but just depends store to store as i have seen others and their way of running the team.

"Mixed emotions"

Former Employee - Retail Supervisor/Assistant Manager in Yukon, OK
    Former Employee - Retail Supervisor/Assistant Manager in Yukon, OK

I worked at Visionworks (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and continous training

Cons

Hard to manage people that steal or don't show up

Advice to Management

Keep good background checks and dont rush into hiring someone. Dont let the good people go so easy.