Visionworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Visionworks CEO James N. Eisen
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management doesn't like to hear what store employees have to say (in 29 reviews)

• Only care about meeting sales goals, not patient needs (in 16 reviews)

1. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Lab Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lab Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Visionworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

paid very well and they will negotiate pay

Cons

They don't do background checks on applicants, which means they hire unqualified managers which causes a very stressful work environment. They don't hold people accountable and don't place any focus on the areas that need improvement. Training program was sub-par for me, but I witnessed much worse training program happen for staff that was onboarding when I started. Basically no one in my store new what they were doing. It was stressful and distracted from my work in the Lab because the people who didn't know what they were doing on the retail end couldn't get it together in the front. Lots of problems here. In the end the good pay couldn't keep me there, and you couldn't pay me enough to go back. Also as a Lab Supervisor you arent aloud get 2 consecutive days off in a row, so you never really got to have a break from work.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are qualified to run the retail end, specifically at my location an RS working there lied about having experience as an Optician and being ABO certified. I could tell because of the lack of knowledge regarding lenses for patients, incorrect measurements of PD's, charging patients for wrong products, etc also her license is no where to be found on the National Board of Opticinary. The GM at my location also had never been a GM before and was absolutely horrendous and never resolved or handled any issue on hand. That whole store was an utter disaster and probably the most unorganized company I have ever worked for.

2. "CHEAP Company"

I have been working at Visionworks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

manager fair with schedule, coworkers easy to get along with most times

Cons

low pay, no training, lazy co-workers

Advice to Management

value your employees

3. "Don't"

I worked at Visionworks full-time

Pros

Good benefits and commissions

Cons

Over worked and under paid

Advice to Management

Try to make your people happy

"Worst job ever"

Former Employee - Optical Assistant

I worked at Visionworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance for glasses. No other pros. Aside from hour lunches and for me close to home but that is about it

Cons

The pay sucks when you're doing the job of 3-4 people at one time. Manager favorites employees. Manager will belittle you if you do minor things incorrect OR accuse you of making a mistake that you didn't make. Manger comes in and out as she chooses and takes advantage of her salary position. Manager has no fairness as far as if two people made the same mistake, one person "lost" certain privilege and other did not. Very unprofessional environment as far as language and inappropriate conversations around patients. Manager incorrectly wrote up a final warning on a first time biases mistake.

Advice to Management

Lol

6. "Lab Sup"

Pros

bonus is good and work sux

Cons

you work by yourself and get no lunches or breaks

7. "Corporate Greed Outweighs The Good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

Glasses benefit is a plus.

Cons

The corporate office could not care less about its employees. They pay really crumby salaries, especially the Optical Assistants who have to maintain the flow of the office and get screamed at by patients because the Optician or Contact Lens Tech was less than thorough with their job. A blind eye is turned to coworker harassment. I was harassed for a year continuously by the same woman and no one would help me. Not the GM, not the Union reps, not the Corporate Office. I had to sit through it until I could no longer take it and I left. It was very very clear that no one gave a crap about the employees. If they did, someone would have stepped in.

Advice to Management

Realize that you only have your job because people don't know they have other options for the vision care and needs.

8. "Inventory Management"

Pros

The company employees donate time and money to the United Way. The Vision benefits are decent.

Cons

The expectations definitely outweigh the respect and pay given. The pay itself is a good 10 - 20K below average. Don't apply.

Advice to Management

Remove your heads from your rear ends and start recognizing the talent with verbal and monetary appreciation.

9. "Optical Assistant"

I worked at Visionworks part-time

Pros

good vision benefits, and very easy job. very little pros

Cons

very low wage, management is disorganized chaos, nasty co workers, awful hours. Optical assistants were forced to clean bathrooms...

10. "Poor Pay"

Pros

Meeting new people on a daily basis. The training was amazing. I was able to get A-1 training because the location was new to the area and they ensured each and every person was able to learn optics. I never worked in optics before this job I have been in retail sales. I am glad I made the switch to optometry. I have since been certified as a optometrist technician.

Cons

Low pay
    management was horrible

Advice to Management

Please pay your employees what they are worth instead of low pay

"General manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Visionworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People you work with, the customers.

Cons

Corporation out of touch with reality. After 25 years in the business worst territory director even. Everybody goes under the bus.

Advice to Management

Work a month in a store and see what the reality of the business is. You have totally forgotten the PATIENT & STAFF!