Visionworks Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Visionworks CEO James N. Eisen
James N. Eisen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free pair of glasses or contacts every year (in 14 reviews)

• good hours, good benefits, friendly coworkers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible management upper management is terrible (in 33 reviews)

• Each store doesn't have enough hours to make most of their employees full time, so if part timers want to become (in 17 reviews)

1. "General Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

health, vision, dental, etc ins

Cons

No advancement, no respect, poor financial compensation for time AND efforts, Limited resources, minimal staffing

Advice to Management

Not much to say to management, just corporate, but corporate doesnt care. Corporate will just replace and ignore

2. "General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Greece, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in Greece, NY

I worked at Visionworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good schedule for retail in the northeast closed on Sundays, open to only 4 on Saturdays. Associates with long tenure are pretty reliable. Great vision benefits for workers.

Cons

Poor communication, district and regional managers out of touch with associates. Use fear to drive management. Bonus is almost unattainable because they have a huge shortage of doctors and have no plan in place to fix the issue. Associates accountability is next to none for hourly associates because of hourly associates being in the union. Company cannot be competitive with hourly rate a with competitors also due to the union and it makes turnover high.

Advice to Management

Run the other way!

"Retail supervisor"

Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Grove City, OH

I worked at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Good vacation. Good PTO. That's about it. Other than that I would waist my time with them. I gave them two years I can not get back.

Cons

Upper management doesn't understand the the folks at the store level. They hire outsiders with little experience to manage stores and don't promote experienced existing leaders from within to management. A lot of gossip and backstabbing.

Advice to Management

To upper management work in your stores to understand how it really works and see for yourself who is good and who is bad.

4. "Decent place to work but not much integrity"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Visionworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Depending on location, the environment can be inviting.

Cons

No integrity. This is not specific for one location, but the last place I was at was at it's worse. Customers were being ripped off just to get their glasses on time, especially if they are in a bit of a hurry. Lenses was switched out for anything to get the glasses out. Unfortunately many times this included downgrading the lense in hopes the customer does not find out. This happened at multiple locations I have worked for. If you have no knowledge of lenses or frames, the employees find this to be an easy candidate to do what it takes to take the money and have a chance to do not deliver what is promised. General Managers typically made the final call of these actions, and are involved of doing these as they felt needed. Store meetings consists of training the "bait and switch" to lure customers to an expensive sale. What's worse? If they don't get the product they receive. On average, 1 out of every 20 customer will be given a product they did not buy, all because of the lack of honesty and the lack of communication to get the product out on time.

Advice to Management

The need to meet demanding goals out of the sales associate has cause the employees to lie, cheat, and steal out of the customers. There are many people (customers) that knows about this, but the ones that doesn't may or may not find out in the future. But it's important that if you want success for the far future, this needs to change.

5. "Worst optical experience ever"

Former Employee - E G Sales
    Former Employee - E G Sales

I worked at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I earned free eyewear...but of course it is an advertisement for the company. I rate benefits a 2 of 5 since I got eyewear. Otherwise, the benefits and staff are poor.

Cons

1. Very poor mgmt. 2. Lazy coworkers 3. Serious blame-game mentality rather than fixing issues. 4. Mgmt big on sales numbers and taking credit but don't acknowledge their faults. 5. Asking workers to clean building (scrub bathrooms/toilets) at end of shift. A company this large can afford professional cleaners.

Advice to Management

Get it together...or more employees will leave. No business survives high turnovers.

"OD Coordinator/ Third Key"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Visionworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great insurance
    Free glasses
    Free eye exam

Cons

Bad management
    No training
    No teamwork
    No organization
    Old outdated equipment and processes

Advice to Management

My manager ruined my experience. The company had potential but has the most unqualified people running it into the ground

7. "Micro Managed"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Visionworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Personal time and vacation are nice. Other than that I can't think of anything. Moral has gotten really bad. Stop micro managing.

Cons

The company is out of touch with what working in a store is like. They will cut a Full Time person to 5 hours with no concern for thE employees well being. All field managers are micro manage by higher ups. Unrealistic expectations. Run sales events to make up for the companies failure in advertising and merchandising and rather than lead this event they micro manage it with fear that if you miss plan for the event you are in big trouble. They will cut hours so thin in the store that you will have customers walking out the door. I mean I have seen them to save 120 dollars in payroll lose 2000 in business. In what financial fairy tale land does that make sense?

Advice to Management

You do not need to micro manage RVPs and field managers just stop! Do a better
    Job with merchandising. Add hours to the higher volume stores you will make more money than in sales than you are spending in payroll.

"Worst job I've had"

Current Employee - Third Key in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Third Key in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Visionworks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The commission is pretty good, but that's the only thing. The customers are nice as well, but you're still working retail and people are demanding and rude sometimes.

Cons

Low pay, condescending coworkers, system is so outdated. We are supposed to manage the doctor's books, pretest patients, deal with insurance, know all the frame and lens types, and about a thousand other things. I knew my first day there that I needed to find a new job, because of all these things and the fact that the staff is so incredibly condescending and rude. How is a new person supposed to know everything a week after starting? Even with optical experience I don't know what I'm doing there. They don't properly explain things (even after I ask questions!) and then it's MY fault for making mistakes. This is the worst job I have ever had, and I hope the company goes under.

9. "General Manager"

Former Employee - Store General Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store General Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Visionworks (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 401 K, a free pr.glasses a year, paid holidays

Cons

Managers are over worked, salary only works to the benefit of the company. No quality of home life verses work life. Company is more focused on retail side rather than medical side. Every thing is numbers,numbers,numbers. Pay new people coming in more than people who have been in the company. Usually corporate or upper management is of no help. This company is and has lost alot of good people due to how they treat their managers

Advice to Management

Treat your managers better,realize they have a life outside Visionworks, too

10. "GM"

I worked at Visionworks full-time

Pros

Can't think of any in the last few years. I had a different outlook prior

Cons

Corporate doesn't care. Company is for sale and you can tell. Eliminating jobs with no compensation.

Advice to Management

Two of your core values are People Matter and Integrity. Try abiding by your own so called values!!