Visionworks Reviews | Glassdoor

James N. Eisen
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Terrible management upper management is terrible (in 31 reviews)

• Each store doesn't have enough hours to make most of their employees full time, so if part timers want to become (in 17 reviews)

1. "Mostly content with ECCA"

Current Employee - District Technical Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - District Technical Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

I have been with ECCA for almost 17 years and I've had the oppurtunity to try multiple jobs. Even when I didn't do a great job in retail, I was allowed to change to lab without the threat of counseling or termination. Now I'm incredibly happy with what I do.

Cons

In certain markets that ECCA is in, if you want to advance, you would have to relocate. Also, I travel extensively for ECCA and in doing so, I feel that I am not fairly compensated for being away from my family and my own store.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with the people at the store level. Many times, they don't know what direction the company is headed.

"Quick ECCA employment guide"

Former Employee - Optician
    Former Employee - Optician

Pros

- If you are morally troubled to sell someone with money troubles eyeglasses that have well over a 1,000% retail markup, at least ECCA has among the lowest prices in the industry.
    - After 90 days of employment, employees receive one complementary pair of glasses with all the goods of your liking once per year.
    - Good workplace to earn income during the summer months before school starts.
    - They will be flexible with your schedule.

Cons

- Part time hours in the off season, which is about any time after the first month of a new school year, ranges between 0 to less than 20 hours per week. I averaged 15 hours.
    - Many more details, details, and details within details to remember than your typical retail workplace with similar pay rates.

Advice to Management

I recommend increasing the pay rate to give ECCA employment more of an edge in the retail industry.

3. "Now hiring"

Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Houston, TX

Pros

Vision insurance given to all employees within the first week of hire. Good beginner's experience in a sales environment. Fellow employees are respectful and easy to get along with. Receives commission based on sales.

Cons

Management lacks direction and decision making. Customers can be hard to deal with. Hiring process is slow.

Advice to Management

Hire a management team with experience in optics and sales. Also look for leadership and education.

"Old Boys Network"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

For an Old boys network of vp's, the company was extremely progressive with women. I was told by the company president upon recieving my offer "don't think you can just get by around here with your pretty face". Although taken aback a bit, I honestly felt that my VP had my best interests at heart. All of the Vice presidents (there are quite a few) had all worked together at one point - coming from Curcuit City. Even my head hunter had done the same.

Cons

The salary for Eye Doctors was excessively low, and in much smaller towns was extremely difficult to bring doctors on. There were offices that ran for years without eye doctors! There was supposedly a head hunter available, but he never followed up on what he said he would do. Again, one of the Circuit City boys.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the people you place to assist the field are truly doing their job. Just because they were your golden boy at a former job does not make them efficient.

"A very time consuming rollercoaster of changes and retraining on new initiatives."

Current Employee - General Manager/Licensed Optician in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - General Manager/Licensed Optician in Gilbert, AZ

Pros

The the medical benefits and base pay are are excellent for Licenses.
    I personally have an exceptional TD.
    The company is thriving and growing in a struggling economy.
    Company changes all positive and potentialy

Cons

Not enough hours/Employees given to free up enough time to properly train/coach/manage.
    Too many hours necessary to work to properly manage a store.
    Despite the necessary hours - Not much flexibility regarding the schedule from upper management to take care of unexpected personal life concerns.

Advice to Management

I highly respect the management for my territory and I am excited about the direction the company is taking. My only advice would be: look at the number of hours/employees we had a year ago and just give us back half of those so we could actually "run the sales floor", coach and manage. Instead I am almost always with customers and I have to stay late to complete everything required of me.

"Has the potential for career growth for right candidate, good company, good field, pay is fair."

Current Employee - General Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Optical retailing is a good field. You are driving a business at the same time you are truly helping people. You can do retail, helping people with their eyeglasses or Lab. They make the glasses. No holiday hours.

Cons

The company really controls payroll. Its cool from a hourly perspective however from a management position, you work very hard. This may be the norm in this day but I remember just 2 years ago I had 20% more hours yo work with.

Advice to Management

Instead of cutting payroll to drive OI, lets use it to build our revenue. You had would have to have a high level of accountability to make it work but I know it would.

7. "Very good job for students."

Current Employee - Third Key in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Third Key in Houston, TX

I have been working at Visionworks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There scheduling is very flexible and training is pretty good. The pay is good considering it is a retail position. Management is easy to talk to if you have any concerns.

Cons

The goals are a little far fetched at times. The company advertises deals and promotions and penalizes you if you sell the promotion. You are expected to up sale everything. Be prepared to be criticized by customers.

8. "Third Key Manager"

Current Employee - Third Key Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Third Key Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Worklife Balance. Upward Mobility

Cons

I really don't have any major cons as of right now.

Advice to Management

Better follow up system for clients. Arm calls are just ridiculous...

"It's a good company to start out at and get experience."

Former Employee - General Manager in Weatherford, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Weatherford, TX

I worked at Visionworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits for full time employees. Relatively easy to move up in company. Most G.M.'s will work around a college students schedule when possible.

Cons

Almost everyone starts at part time. Upper management does not listen to what the G.M.'s know about what is going on in their stores concerning sales to plan. Depending on the demographics it can be very difficult to maintain your stores and individual numbers to company standards.

Advice to Management

Upper management NEEDS to listen, really listen to what their General Managers have to say. Your G.M.'s are on the front line everyday. They KNOW why sales are down, they KNOW what the customer is asking for.

"Chance To Train as Optometric Tech And Move Up"

Current Employee - Eye Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Eye Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They can hire persons with no optometric tech experience and train on the job! It is very hard to find a company that is willing to do that these days! Also, they can train you to sale eye wear (glasses, contact lenses); they call the sales position, an "Eye Specialist". You get commission on every pair of glasses and contacts you sell, which can actually easily add up to between about $20 - $100 +/- extra per biweekly paycheck; a nice little perk to add to your paycheck! I typically make about $50-65 extra every two weeks; sometimes more.

Full-time employees (30 hr.s or more) get medical and dental insurance and other benefits. All employees will receive a FREE pair of glasses (any lense type and frame) after working at Visionworks for 30 days or more. This free pair benefit is repeated every anniversary. That last perk is very nice!

Several retail store employees at Visionworks that I know have moved up fairly quickly, if you show integrity, real interest in selling eyewear and some leadership. (My opinion is from the retail store point of view; I am not an Eye Doctor nor do I work in their corporate office in Texas).

Cons

Initial hourly is fairly low. The retail store hours are not terrible, however, after closing the store at 7 pm, an employee may not actually leave to go home until after 7:30 or sometimes even at 8 pm or later, due to lingering customers ("patients") and/or required closing tasks which must be completed before leaving for home. Not too many employees that I know of who have been promoted, who are over forty years of age or more. Employees who are 40 or over are not always, but usually more serious about their job, have more life experiences that can make one wiser, are more grateful to have a job and consistently show up for one, and are usually more mature than their younger employee counterparts. But, there are exceptions to this generalization.

Advice to Management

Higher base hourly wage, promote older retail workers as well as mature younger employees. A forty minute lunch break would be a big improvement! It can be hard to grab a bit to eat, relax and eat it in 30 min.'s!