Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent agency"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Per Diem in Hyannis, MA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Per Diem in Hyannis, MA

Pros

High expectations for quality of care rendered, which is exactly what you want in an employer. Team mates are all high quality, experienced nurses with excellent clinical skills, and you should be, too. Pay rate is better than average, but, again, it should be, because you are employing quality nurses, and it shows.

Cons

Not a lot of consistency with staffing patterns, which leads to a lack of continuity with patients. As a per diem, I understand that is the often the nature of the job, but it would be good to have more regularity with assignments. Perhaps hook up per diems with specific case mgrs so that the same group of people are generally seeing the same patients? Just a thought.

Advice to Management

My team leader changed frequently, and I didn't feel like any of the latter team leaders really knew anything about me. I understand that the agency is going through a period of growth and transition, but if you want to keep those quality nurses, it would be good to try to make the per diems a m ore integral part of the team.

2. "VNA CCHC RUN!!!!"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Hyannis, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Hyannis, MA

I worked at Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok pay, but not worth the unsafe. illegal practices they ask you to do. You may meet some wonderful people but they are well trained to watch out for themselves. MNA for some but not all and they too will turn a blind eye to suit their needs.

Cons

Everything else!!!
    They will throw you under the bus without blinking an eye. The bottom line is their reimbursement and NOT patient safety. This is one of the most unprofesional and unsafe place I have ever seen. RUN!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of management and start over, this place is a disasterous, unsafe, unprofessional mess.

"A good fit for independent, experienced nurses"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Barnstable, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Barnstable, MA

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility of hours, good money if you don't count the hours completing documentation after doing visits. pleasant work environment (because you're in your own car or patients' homes, not in a facility), often rewarding work that makes a real difference in patients' lives

Cons

Not very much back up available if you need advice out in the field; like most other home care agencies, the people in the office doing QA reviews and triaging phone calls spend FAR too much time delegating paperwork to the field staff, which only adds to the workload of full time staff; not very much "TEAM" action going on. I rarely see the other nurses, I never see any supervisors, and trying to get hold of an in-house supervisor for advice, or to bounce an idea off of anther clinician while you're out in the field, is virtually impossible. You are essentially on your own.

Advice to Management

People who are in positions that really SHOULD be supporting the nursing staff believe, and are treated by mgmt as, the real star players in this business. For example, in-house call-center personnel inevitably respond to all calls for advice or help in any given in-home situation with the instruction to "call the doctor . and document that's what you did". I've been a nurse for 30+ years; I KNOW when to call the MD. What I am often looking for is another nurse to run something by, and it's clear that the call center is not interested in that. They're far too busy reviewing OASIS paperwork.

I love my job, and I love my patients, but sometimes, it would be good to have another person to discuss things with .