Visiting Nurse Service of New York Reviews | Glassdoor

Visiting Nurse Service of New York CEO Christopher Olivia
Christopher Olivia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • antiquated work life balance policies (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management loss sight of our mission statement (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great"

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time

Pros

Visiting Nurse Service Of Ny is a great company to work for, with awesome 1199 benefits and flexible work schedules.

Cons

Unfortunately for a corporate company, they do not provide many perks for there employees, as far as company bonuses or even parties

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to your employees than just a thank you.

2. "Truth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great direct group of coworkers

Cons

Not enough transparency in organization. A lot of layoffs and uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Be pro-active, not reactive.

3. "Provides wonderful services to New Yorkers"

Current Employee - Intake Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intake Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great organization to work for ... I've been very happy to work for the company.

Cons

No sister company in other states

4. "Business Service Coordinator"

Current Employee - Business Services Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Services Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

potential for growth, fast pace multitasking position work with nursing, rehab professionals daily

Cons

can be extremely busy daily multitasking phones computer resolve issues for patients and professionals to complete tasks

Aug 30, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience as a Business Service Coordinator. We appreciate the dedication and service you provide to our patients which, in turn, allow for positive outcomes. And we are... More

5. "Challenged company"

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time

Pros

Benefits were good and low cust

Cons

Health plan was management lacked integrity

6. "VNSNY CHOICE Compliance...RUN"

Current Employee - Analyst/Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst/Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

staff who actually care about productive and professional work relationships that serve the members and community

Cons

no policy system in place; choice compliance, choice operations, choice products/plans; management, hr

Advice to Management

2017: Run far and as fast as your time to submit a job application will allow you to. The salary is not worth the condescending and unprofessional interactions between management and staff.

VNSNY CHOICE Compliance, Operations, Administration:
    1) lacks structure, organization, and consistency PERIOD.
    2) there is a false sense of hope. There are ongoing budget concerns i.e. teams dismantled, departments laid off, or positions discarded.
    3) there is constant worry of whistleblowers divulging VNSNY CHOICE's worst practices. Furthermore, there is reorganization of something every month based on how a manager/VP/Chief felt the morning she/he woke up.
    4) continues to struggle and fail. In light of these large scale struggles and failures there is tiny progress not success.
    5) their goal to improve operations is attempted with displays of disrespectful and condescending interactions in meetings. It is unfortunate that their work culture is tolerant of workplace bullying. Staff are immune to the bullying to even know the difference.
    6) offers dysfunctional money-hungry Medicaid/Medicare plans to a community of members who should take their business elsewhere. Ms. Wald and Ms. Brewster would likely shutdown VNSNY CHOICE operations today.
    7) more importantly, there is no effective policy standards or systems in place to reinforce anything. NO budget in the past several years (or to date) to commit to any sort of policy efforts = refer to bullets 1-6 above. Imagine money-making bobble heads in their offices (or cubicles) at VNSNY CHOICE.

For your own well-being please DO NOT consider joining VNSNY CHOICE else you will be disposed of for:
    a) not being submissive to managements shenanigans,
    b) for doing your job the right way, and
    c) for asking questions about (or challenging) the nonsense management and staff dish out.

This is your detailed warning.

Lastly, if you are a current member (or a potential member) please consider the above from an employee's experience in your decisions regarding membership under a plan at VNSNY CHOICE.

"At will employment" is a saving grace. DO NOT go to HR…remember they will protect themselves first and side with management.

Be well.

"Intake Coordinator"

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time

Pros

You learn a lot about health care.

Cons

Not much room for growth. A lot of personal feelings get in the way of business. If you're not a nurse they think you can't move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Just because someone isn't a nurse doesn't mean they don't know how to manage and direct. Being a Clinician doesn't give someone grounds to be a manager or director.

Aug 10, 2017 – Operations Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. VNSNY is committed to providing growth opportunities to all our employees, in both clinical and non-clinical roles, for continued development and... More

8. "Business Development - Intake Staff"

Current Employee - Staff RN in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff RN in New York, NY

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most co-workers are a pleasure to work with. The pay is competitive for the work being handled.

Cons

Most management personnel act like a collection of senior girls during high school lunch, very gossipy and controlling (power hungry). Micro management is a company motto. Management also does not like to receive any criticism and one can expect a personal vendetta brewing even when provided in the most professional of manners. Anyone at this company can be terminated at any moment and everyone is consistently worried over job security. Also, many times you are indirectly hinted at staying after hours to finish work but given huge backlash or hoops to go through to be compensated (which I am pretty sure is illegal).

Advice to Management

Macro-management is best. Nourish and appreciate your employees or they will seek reassurance elsewhere. Make it more comfortable for employees to come to management with inquiries (considered the unthinkable by some employees) by providing a more safe, non-judgmental, private conversation and most importantly professional space.

Aug 14, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that your work environment is not meeting your expectations. VNSNY managers are expected to promote a culture in which staff input is... More

9. "Great company"

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time

Pros

I like working at VNSNY because the benefits are great, the management is strong, the culture is adequate, and the company is innovating constantly.

Cons

Promotions take some time regardless of job performance.

Aug 10, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We appreciate that you recognize our generous employee benefit program and the strength of our leadership.

VNSNY prides itself on being an... More

10. "Clinical Evaluation manager"

Former Employee - Choice Clinical Manager
    Former Employee - Choice Clinical Manager

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good health benefits retirement plan. Time off changed. Good in services.

Cons

Leadership has unrealistic expectations. Favoritism present. Divide and conquer approach

Advice to Management

Follow the mission of originator. Listen to staff they ate not robots. It takes time to.understa d client needs. There are no cookie cutter solutions