Vista Host Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Michael V. Harrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Experience"

Pros

The people I worked with were great.

Cons

Doesn't pay enough for the job you do and the expectations upper management holds

2. "It's all politics and what not"

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor
    Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because it is a small company, you will get to know upper management fairly well. I was on a first name basis with the COO and all of the regional managers. And I will say that they are all wonderful people. A phone call or an email will be answered from the very top. You just might not like the answer.

I got a free trip to Austin, TX once. That was fun.

Pay was fair for the job I had

Cons

Oh the CONS!

The health insurance offered is absolute garbage. and it took 6 months after I was qualified for it to actually get it because of a 'clerical error'

The company is too worried about shop calls and secret shoppers. They are important no doubt, but endless positive SALT surveys and TripAdvisor reviews are negated by forgetting to ask "How was your stay?" to someone checking out.

Was promised all sorts of advancement opportunities, and then never given a straight answer as how to actually do it.

In 2 years I had 11, yes ELEVEN!!!!! general managers

People straight out of college get preferential treatment over experienced workers. It got really old teaching my managers how to run the hotel properly.

Advice to Management

Give honest feedback to your employees. Stop expecting us to be robots.

3. "One star is still too many"

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've learned several ways how NOT to be a manager.

Cons

When you are by yourself working a night shift and the auditor doesn't show up, don't expect your GM to answer the phone. Don't expect support in any shape, form, or fashion from anyone in management. When you express your disenchantment to HR about your pay rate, be prepared to be told you are welcome to apply elsewhere. This company will work you to death and would rather lose good emplyees than pay them what they are worth.

Advice to Management

Realize your employees are 97% of the reasons you get your bonuses and you should show your appreciation more often and more genuinely.

4. "Great Training, Nightmare as a career builder."

Current Employee - Manager in Southaven, MS
    Current Employee - Manager in Southaven, MS

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Training, Friendly staff, Awesome Guest!!!

Cons

Unrealistic Expectations, Nothing is ever good enough, Regional management builds spies with hourly employees, No respect for home-life work balance (there is none), Very condescending upper level management, Will use you for everything and tear you down for nothing, doesn't respect on-sight managers decisions, Micro-managing to say the least, more reports to keep track of your doings vs. support and attention to what you have achieved.

Advice to Management

See a persons strengths and weaknesses. Work off their strengths and build on their weakness. Less condescending tones and more praise for achievements. Company has so much good to offer, but hard to care after so long of seeing how much you are not respected. No respect as a person let alone an employee.

5. "Be Mindful of What You Want Out of Your Career"

I worked at Vista Host full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to grow within the company and the industry

Cons

You'll work 24hours...thankless job...ridiculous turnover of employees

Advice to Management

Nurture those who you know will go far...don't stifle growth by overworking your team

6. "To many responsibilities..."

Former Employee - General Manager in Southaven, MS
    Former Employee - General Manager in Southaven, MS

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training is great. Customer service oriented.

Cons

There are too many components that other companies have no need for. To many administrative duties and deadlines that leaves you with no time to really focus on guest interactions. This company manages and owns several hotels but will sell them just a quick as they build them. There are some employees making almost double than others, with the same experience and duties. You may be required to report to 10-15 support office employees and 3-4 upper level managers. The emails are non stop. Upper level manager will questions your employees and hold private meetings without your knowledge which creates chaos within your organization. Admits to overworking you. You are still required to perform required Duties when you are on vacation. 10-25 million dollar company who nickel and dimes the associate's YEARLY increases. High turnover. CEO is too hands on and is never pleased, and often is disrespectful.

Advice to Management

Listen to you associates. When problems are visible, offer more support and concern.

"I saw potential growth here initially until I stayed a little while longer."

Former Employee - Human Resource Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resource Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to gain employment and no wealth of knowledge or experience necessary. Company usually pays quarterly bonuses to department heads and general management

Cons

Unfair and unequal opportunity. Secret invites and emails are given to employees in the support office for promotions and advancement while most times job ads are not posted for everyone's benefit. High turnover rate in hotels and corporate office.

Advice to Management

This company need to learn how to treat ALL employees with fairness, professionalism and equality. There is complete disorganization and uncertainty in the company. Management in the corporate office is unsure of their roles and responsibilities and definitely do not know the employees under them responsibilities. Annual performance reviews have to be asked for, increases are bare minimum. Employees with no degree/ no experience are paid better than some employees that do have degree/experience and the work load for some is not as strenuous as others. I have taken concerns to supervisor and no resolution was offered. Most emails are ignored, however last minute processes and deadlines are expected to be met. All in all, I am happy with my exit out of Vista Host and my gained employment with my new company. Wouldn't go back at all!!

8. "Legendary Micromanagement"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Safe job, almost impossible to get fired.

Cons

Low salaries, expensive benefits with poor coverage, industry leading micromanagement, limited growth potential.

9. "Best people I've ever worked with"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to take chances and speak your mind. No red-tape. Opportunities in all directions if you're a hard worker with a good attitude. Senior leadership cares from the top down... there's nothing more to it!

Cons

The company is rapidly growing, which is tremendous!!! But in order to succeed, you need to be rapidly growing also so you don't miss the boat on being considered for development opportunities. P.S.- I don't think this is a Con, but I know that others feel performance pressure with rapid growth in mind.

Advice to Management

Continue giving opportunities to those that demonstrate enthusiasm and a strong work ethic! Continue caring. Continue being a company I am abundantly proud to have worked for.

10. "Overworked!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hilton hotel discounts thats about it

Cons

They will overwork you... make many promises to you about growing with the company..but its all a trap so they can have you working like a slave with NO overtime.

Advice to Management

Help your staff and help each department out