Vista Host Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Michael V. Harrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Growth in a Sincere Culture"

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vista Host is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The culture and family-like aspect of the company sets it apart from other competitive hospitality companies. From upper executive management, to headquarters, to level line employees, I have never come across any unexpected, uneasy or horrible situations. Vista Host supports all roles and it's employees and has fantastic retention programs, bonus plans and ultimate care for those "in the trenches". Through hard work, dedication and care, those who want to move up in the hospitality world can most certainly do it within Vista Host, and I would suggest that to anyone. The company is huge on growth from within which was a huge selling point for me and my VP helped curve my path for success. Vista Host is there through work and even personal successes, making work/life balance a treat!

Cons

Fast paced and sometimes long days, but that is to be expected in the hospitality world. There are so many great resources and other properties that are helpful, and if you take advantage of those, then you will still succeed.

2. "Endless Opportunity"

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant learning and growth both professionally and personally in a fast paced, high expectation and results oriented company. They value their employees and take the time to provide support, training, and coaching to ensure you are the best version of yourself as long as you put in the time and effort to take advantage of it. Endles growth opportunity and the ability to move around geographically to diverse areas of the US.

Cons

Fast paced, high intensity environment that can at times be overwhelming and stressful. As long as you take advantage of the resources available to you and know when to ask for help, this can easily be overcome.

3. "Vista Host"

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Any hospitality company will have some of the hardest working people you have ever met. Some GMs and AGMs were incredibly talented. The southeast regional should let them be and stop playing head games with managers to play them against each other and manipulate them into performing better.

Cons

Senior management is your typical group of old-fashioned men running the place, utilizing the ideas and talent of underpaid young people with a false promise of being able to be in their shoes one day. I say this is a false promise because there is almost no diversity on the executive level, and very little on the GM level. One of my general managers was extremely sexist and will no doubt be the next #metoo story. You can move up quickly because of the high turnover of managers. That is not a good thing.

Advice to Management

Mr. Harrell should turn the reigns over to the next generation (or the next one, or the next one after that) . It's time.

4. "Great Company"

I have been working at Vista Host part-time

Pros

Good benefits and bonuses happen

Cons

Boring job but it's not that bad

"Watch Out"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

plenty of opportunity to move around in the company... I mean, literally move around.

Cons

They will make it seem like a promotion but really, they just need you at another hotel because they can't keep a good employee. They will pay men more and women less, for the same exact experience and jobs. (yes, even up in the liberal north"
    This company is full of power-hungry male-dominated management. If you don't have the personality of a cheerleader, you're considered a bad sales person. Individuality is not celebrated. Inconsistent pay throughout the company. Unfulfilled promises, low low pay, recruit college kids and make them think they are offering the world but do not live up to their "family name". The owner of the company doesn't even have a relationship with his family - so that trickles down to management treating staff like cattle and not valuable humans.
    They use manipulation tactics to get their way.
    Stay away from this company - they talk a big talk but do NOT have the resources or time to truly care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Treat employees with RESPECT and dignity. Value your employees and they will continue to be loyal. Very clicky; almost cult-like environment for VH "all stars" - i.e., doormats.

"Will promise you the world and rip the carpet from right under you."

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for inexperienced managers. This isn’t necessarily always a good thing as proven by some of Vista Host’s service scores.

Cons

Benefits are terrible. No paid time off for first year. No matching 401k. Salary is not comparable to competitors. Executive team is spread too thin and impossible to get in touch with. CEO is absent but speaks through others. Members of admin team are horrific: Speak to GMs and Sales Team like dogs although they were once GM themselves and only in industry for less than ten years.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people doing the day to day groundwork. Not everything is as simple as it looks from your 100,000 ft. view. Spend less time in planes, trains and automobiles and more time in an office where your people can get in touch with you. You don’t always need to be on-site but we do need to be able to reach you. Treat people with respect.

"Management Plays Favorites!"

Former Employee - Administrative (Support Office) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative (Support Office) in Houston, TX

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty flexible schedule as long as you put in your 8 hours
    Plenty of complimentary food

Cons

The work environment is very cliquey and toxic. If you do not fit into a specific set you will eventually start to feel like an outcast. If you are not a personal favorite of management you will not even be given an opportunity to apply for any vacancies. These are usually given to friends of management with no consideration of merit or experience.

One particular member of management expects employees, even those that are not their direct subordinates, to take their verbal abuse as if they are children. This has been occurring for years but this manager has yet to be reprimanded for such harassment by their superiors. Most of this manager's assistants often leave after only a few months and express an emotional relief once they are finally gone.

Management micro-manages so much that supervisors that are not in management have no voice and are afraid to stand up for their subordinates when asked.

This is a very small company and there is a very "family"-like atmosphere. Unfortunately, this leads to plenty of petty gossip and even the occasional invasion of privacy which management ignores.

Despite constant pleas to get more work or responsibilities, management would constantly refuse me the opportunity to grow in my position or to explore other areas to the point I felt stagnant.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equal and give everyone an opportunity. Everyone deserves a chance.

"Don't do it! Run for the hills!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate office will get breakfast the week that is the most stressful for everyone (payroll week).

Cons

It's all politics here and who you eat lunch with. Management is only playing favorites. Those people are the ones who get the opportunities to advance. Low pay for hard work. Nothing but work and drama. You dont get pay raises here the money goes to company lunch events and breakfast.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and treat everyone equally with respect. Start listening to people because we all work hard. There are several supervisors within this company that do not even know how to do their own job. There is a supervisor here that has been here for years but that specific department needs alot of work.

"It's all politics and what not"

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor
    Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because it is a small company, you will get to know upper management fairly well. I was on a first name basis with the COO and all of the regional managers. And I will say that they are all wonderful people. A phone call or an email will be answered from the very top. You just might not like the answer.

I got a free trip to Austin, TX once. That was fun.

Pay was fair for the job I had

Cons

Oh the CONS!

The health insurance offered is absolute garbage. and it took 6 months after I was qualified for it to actually get it because of a 'clerical error'

The company is too worried about shop calls and secret shoppers. They are important no doubt, but endless positive SALT surveys and TripAdvisor reviews are negated by forgetting to ask "How was your stay?" to someone checking out.

Was promised all sorts of advancement opportunities, and then never given a straight answer as how to actually do it.

In 2 years I had 11, yes ELEVEN!!!!! general managers

People straight out of college get preferential treatment over experienced workers. It got really old teaching my managers how to run the hotel properly.

Advice to Management

Give honest feedback to your employees. Stop expecting us to be robots.

"One star is still too many"

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've learned several ways how NOT to be a manager.

Cons

When you are by yourself working a night shift and the auditor doesn't show up, don't expect your GM to answer the phone. Don't expect support in any shape, form, or fashion from anyone in management. When you express your disenchantment to HR about your pay rate, be prepared to be told you are welcome to apply elsewhere. This company will work you to death and would rather lose good emplyees than pay them what they are worth.

Advice to Management

Realize your employees are 97% of the reasons you get your bonuses and you should show your appreciation more often and more genuinely.