Vistage Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Vistage Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Sam Reese
Sam Reese

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Very flexible with an understanding of work-life balance, yet requires results from each staff member" (in 5 reviews)

• "Nice people; San Diego nice place to live but super expensive" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Was purchased by a private equity group" (in 4 reviews)

• "the Chairs, the Members, the business model itself" (in 2 reviews)

"Outstanding company"

I worked at Vistage Worldwide full-time

Pros

Outstanding management and co-workers. Very flexible with an understanding of work-life balance, yet requires results from each staff member.

Cons

If there are any downsides, they are too small to identify.

Advice to Management

Continue building an awesome company and positively changing the lives of your customers/members.

"Corporate Office"

I worked at Vistage Worldwide full-time

Pros

Nice new clean office with a view. snacks, fruits, coffees and teas in break rooms.

Cons

Reminds me of high school. Too many catty, gossipy people who stand around and talk about other people, and then complain about how much work they have. When the bosses come around they pretend to act busy. They (manager included) like to blame the one person when it’s really their mistakes. Some managers and executives can seem too peppy that they come off as being fake or on drugs.

Advice to Management

You need to pay attention to your staff/team. Quit the favoritism. The real good employees are too smart to stick around any longer.

Sep 19, 2018 – Director, HR and Employee Experience

Thank you for sharing your input with us. We strive to make our workplace respectful for everyone and, if you would be willing, we would appreciate talking with you to learn how we could improve. We... More

"Oof"

I worked at Vistage Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck
    You can kind of see the ocean from the office

Cons

Leadership turnover, top level HR doesn't file employee complaints or discipline offending employees.

Sep 19, 2018 – Director, HR and Employee Experience

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We would appreciate talking with you further about any concerns, as we take employee complaints seriously. You can reach out to us at HR@vistage.com.

"Sales"

I have been working at Vistage Worldwide full-time

Pros

Good people and like San Diego

Cons

Constant churn - lots of turnover

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vistage Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with brilliant coworkers and CEO's is excting and challenging.
    New support center with an incredible learning and development space.
    You are able to talk to CEO's all over the Country about interesting subjects.

Cons

Lots of leadership and direction changes in a short period of time.
    Focus is all about the numbers/costs. Time spent tracking could be sent doing important work that leads to additional member/Chairs/revenue.
    Less respect for the input of experienced staff.
    New leaders think their ideas are best and implement them without regard to implications.
    Bonus plans are changed mid year.
    Compensation has gone down significantly the past 2 years.
    Lots of people are hired while our goals go up. Fewer leads available to work with.

Advice to Management

Set goals and give us time to meet them without changing the things that impact our success. Retain our leaders. Key leaders in L&D, Recruiting, HR and new group development are gone along with all their knowledge, guidance and support. Be aware it is a very strong job market. Cutting pay, having new employees doing our performance reviews and then capping pay increases at 3% is not a way to retain your superstars.

Aug 24, 2018 – Director, HR and Employee Experience

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very happy to hear how much you enjoy working with your “brilliant coworkers” and that the opportunity Vistage provides to “talk to CEOs all over the country about... More

"Like watching a train wreck in slow motion"

I worked at Vistage Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k matched up to 3% (while I was there -- cannot confirm if this has changed). Health benefits were good while I was there but they changed them to a more expensive, less good plan right before I left.

Cons

Good Old Boys club. Fraught with sexism - women, be prepared to be interrupted constantly by male coworkers, paid 20-30% less than your male coworkers, and have your maternity leave benefits nickeled and dimed. CEO regularly hides behind cubicles to eavesdrop on employees and laughs if you catch him. Managers regularly throw employees under the bus at the slightest provocation. Absolutely no accountability, no transparency, no respect for employees, no merit pay raises, no promotions (unless you're a Mean Girls-style "favorite"). If you take a job here, don't assume you're safe just because you have a good manager, because your good manager is probably about to be fired.

Advice to Management

First of all, don't reply to this review with that copy-pasted form response you've used on every single other review, no one is going to email you with their concerns and asking us to do so does not reflect well on you. Secondly -- did you all learn nothing from the LAST sexual harassment lawsuit you settled? Just because the CEO has changed (twice) doesn't absolve you from correcting past mistakes. Someday you will run out of employees willing to put up with your nonsense. Good luck with that.

Aug 20, 2018 – Director, HR and Employee Experience

Thank you for your candid feedback. We are sorry to hear you have a negative impression of your time at Vistage. While in your review you state you don’t want a response with a request for further... More

"Great Culture, No Room for Advancement, People leaving at alarming rate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel Valley, CA

I worked at Vistage Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The People. Your coworkers will be a joy to work with. They do a great job at hiring, everyone seems to get along. Fun company activities monthly, yoga classes, etc. Snacks and fruit are provided at the office. It's in a nice location in Carmel Valley but will be opening new office in UTC end of June 2018. If you don't like to work hard you can easily get away with that here. You can take long lunches, chat with friends, walk around the office doing nothing, they typically won't notice or care

Cons

They do not promote from within/rarely do. One of our managers openly said that in a meeting at one point. This place is great at hiring top talent, but they're just as good at losing top talent as well. I've never seen a company rotate CEOs, CMOs, COOs, SVPs, Sales Managers like this place did. It was unreal and unsettling. Management never really was looking out for their employees, they were just looking out for themselves and their numbers. Because they never promoted from within or utilized anyone to their full potential some of the best and brightest and most respected people left. I've never so many talented people leave a company on such a regular basis. A mass exodus is a very good word for it. No one was getting fired, everyone was just fed up with the fact they knew they could be doing so much more, but Vistage never wanted to give anyone a chance. Vistage is a steady, profitable ship that is set in its ways and will not go off course. They recently cut commissions in multiple departments. In one dept they said they would actually raise the commissions and instead they actually lowered them. It's very sad to see so many great people work so hard for a company that doesn't care about them, but they try and make it seem like they do. There are more Pros than Cons regarding Vistage, but they are not forward thinking, they have hit a ceiling with their production and they will not be making any sort of impact in the business world in the future. Everything about this company is old school...the Chairs, the Members, the business model itself. Until they drastically change something their level of growth will be very, very small.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent, listen to your amazing employees, they have great ideas, let them grow, find new positions for them before they leave. Don't say one thing and do another. Provide coaching to anyone and everyone. Don't be fake and don't be greedy. Stop making up senior level positions that aren't necessary. I loved CEO, Sam Reese, and his passion. He is genuine and inspiring.

Jul 11, 2018 – Director, HR and Employee Experience

We appreciate your feedback. We would love to speak to you directly about your concerns as we are committed to continuous improvement. To set up a time to talk, you can send an email to... More

"Chair"

Current Employee - Chair
    Current Employee - Chair

I have been working at Vistage Worldwide part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vistage provides a good business model for entrepreneurs who are willing to work hard and be fairly compensated. This is a calling and not a job.

Cons

Too many candidates try to hard sell Vistage rather than giving CEOs a compelling reason to buy. If you don't understand this, don't apply.

Advice to Management

It's time you learn what makes a good chair candidate. Please top bringing in unqualified candidates

"What a Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Vistage Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

insurance benefits, 401K, flexible spending

Cons

This company has the nerve to have "trust" and "caring" painted on their walls. It couldn't be further from the truth. A few years ago, maybe. But not anymore. Morale is low, yet people are told to pretend it isn't. Put on a happy face, don't complain. Mixed messages. People being placed in management roles who have no business in them. Sarcasm and disrespect in monthly meetings. When you hit your goals, you're told they "must not have been high enough" or get accused of fudging numbers. No one has your back when members or Chairs are abusive or out of line. The message of "winning" is empty and has seen better days. HR is powerless, as upper management has no interest in hearing what the employees have to say. Compensation continues to be cut every year, making it hardly worth it to put up with the day to day.

Advice to Management

Take your own advice. You preach accountability, and then turn right around and do the opposite. Listen to people. They're unhappy and it's obvious. Take a long hard look at the number of people resigning. Good people who could have continued to do good things for your company. A new fancy office will not fix what is broken.

Jul 11, 2018 – Director, HR and Employee Experience

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to continuous improvement and creating an environment which enables success and would love to speak to you directly about your concerns. To set up a... More

"Okay Company"

I worked at Vistage Worldwide full-time

Pros

Nice people; San Diego nice place to live but super expensive

Cons

Demanding work load; disorganized management