Vistaprint Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vistaprint Bestuursvoorzitter, President & CEO Robert S. Keane
Robert S. Keane

Pros
Cons
  • Lots of reorganizations across the company, tough work life balance at times (in 10 reviews)

• There have been a number of re-orgs and the company is still trying to find the right org structure (in 5 reviews)

"Great benefits/poor career choice"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance/flexible hours. Deadlines are presented to be a scary monster, but using agile arguments and they can be pushed off.
    Benefits are great. Negotiate to get more money. At one point, an entry level was earning as much as a two year experienced developer.
    Company is doing financially well.
    A good (yet shrinking) pool of talent.

Cons

Politics hamper career growth. I wouldn't stay here more than 2 years. Reorganizations don't help either except provide a good timing to consider leaving.
    On the same topic, management resources dedicated to career growth opportunities is oblivious. They come to you to ask how to do their job and they lament.
    The agile transformation is a kindergarten experiment. It's funny to see the clashes between management tiers though.

The vision changes way to fast for anyone to keep track of. You start with a set of values and in 1-2 reorganizations you will be fed other ones.
    Talent hemorrhaging: more complex tasks being handled (or worst forgotten) by inadequately trained engineers.
    Quality of new hires steadily declining.
    Acquisition of Webs and other questionable initiatives in Asia.
    Commute is awful for the new building.

"Not a great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

Pros

Very smart CEO who hopefully will have more direct influence on company now that he is based in Lexington. Very good benefits.

Cons

The office set-up is very difficult to work in with no privacy and a lot of noise. A lot of infighting between development and marketing. A snarky culture and "I know more than you do" attitude permeates the office.

Advice to Management

The company should live by the great set of values it professes. Pay more attention to the mid-level employees to get a true read on the company. Stop talking in acronyms!

"A sheep in wolf's clothing"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people. Entrepreneurial atmosphere. Free beer and pizza on Fridays. Cool marketing.

Cons

The poster child for The Peter Principle. Too many people hired who are not trained or capable of being effective managers/leaders. Lot of turnover, which management seems oblivious to.

Advice to Management

Come down from the glass tower, breath the air, and remind yourself that happy employees will translate to happy shareholders. Invest money in upgrading the internal technology.

"Vistaprint seems to be trying, but often falls short."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Competitive salary and benefits, some of the best in the area.
    * Weekly view events for socializing.
    * Excellent onboarding process
    * Very tight-knit culture on some teams (might be seen as a negative to some)
    * Flexable working hours
    * Pretty reasonable work-life balance compared to other companies. The on-call aspect may be annoying to some, but generally is not too impactful to every day life. However, you often feel like you have to stay to get more done due to constant distractions and time-sinks that prevent you from getting your actual tasks finished.

Cons

* Parking - They'll advertise "valet" parking, but it really means that you'll have someone drive your car every morning if there isn't a spot. If you did find a spot, it means you'll be waiting for the valets to move the cars that are blocking you in when you want to go home because there are far more cars than there are parking spots. Pretty terrible if you have to be somewhere after work because it's unpredictable how long you'll have to wait to get your car, and discourages lunchtime errands or socialization.
    * Repetitive work
    * Growing very quickly, and it's not the "start-up" feel that recruiting will often claim it is.
    * Management will often move so quickly that they don't think things through. For example, many projects aren't well thought-out, so far more time is spent on them than originally estimated, or in the opposite case - far more time is spent on something than there should be.
    * Lots of overhead / meetings that prevent "real work" from getting done.
    * Nonperformers are kept for a long time, bringing down morale and causing more work for those who have to clean up after them.
    * Few opportunities to grow professionally due to size of company unless someone above you leaves.
    * Massive legacy codebase which they are working to improve, however, as with many other things in the company, it's hard for one to believe that the old code will ever truly be retired for the new architecture in development. It's very frequent that other teams will break functionality related to your team due to the tight coupling and dependencies between teams.
    * Location - A soulless lexington office park.
    * Poor performance recently has resulted in low percentages of the target bonus payout.

"Great company. Challenging culture."

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus with state of the art tools to work with. Great opportunities for the right person and the pay is good. Very successful company with few layoffs. Benefits are very good and they have a nice program that gives employees a 5 week "break" after they've worked there for 5 years. This is in addition to regular vacation time so it's really a sweet deal if you hang in there that long. They have a solid sales record and are constantly improving and building on their product line.

Cons

During my tenure there I witnessed a lot of turnover. The company was still fairly young and roles and responsibilities were shifting constantly. This created considerable tension in many areas within the company and corporate politics were an ever present dark cloud overhead. They also used a 360º Review process that allowed anyone to submit feedback for any fellow employee. Not good in a politically charged environment where many individuals were competing for the opportunity to move up. I suspect others would paint a brighter picture of life there and I suspect others would paint a darker one but I would go in knowing that there will be politics, be absolutely sure you're fully ready to hit the deck running and expect your job to change regularly.

Advice to Management

The 360º review process was causing undue friction and was also a 3 month process that cost the company much time and, I suspect, a few good employees. Take a good hard look at what it is really doing for the company and either modify it or stop using it.

"Not very Happy"

Current Employee - Lead QA Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Lead QA Engineer in Lexington, MA

Pros

Pay and Benifits are excellent. Some groups are very good in treating their employees. QA automation & DSS groups are awesome.

Cons

Watch out where you are going to. Some groups are pretty nasty to hang in. People get treated without respect in some groups and they set you for failure.

7. "Mixed feelings"

I worked at Vistaprint part-time

Pros

They hire diversely, as demonstrated by omegas such as myself
    They do not notice if you steal from them
    Occasionally they feed employees (i.e. vending machines are on the premises)
    Supported my decision to leave and be a stay-home omega

Cons

Poor management
    Made me work while in heat - I should be with my alpha
    Can include long hours
    Chicken cruelty

Advice to Management

When my alpha picks a fight with you, please do not engage
    Allow longer maternity leave
    Change your name and direction of the company
    Unaffiliate with Webs; they are trash

"great place for hourly"

I worked at Vistaprint (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well with good benefits

Cons

High turn over rates at all locations

"Raise yourself by putting others down."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Smart people. Good pay and benefits. Some of the work is interesting. The company is focusing on how to improve collaboration between departments.

Cons

The work I did was all designed by a tech lead - after 2+ years at the company, I still had less responsibility than I did 6 months out of college elsewhere. And not necessarily designed well, or by someone who could explain design decisions - just someone who had been there the longest. Projects were segmented in such a way that I was working on things we didn't even know if they'd be going to production, while other teammates still had months of work that we were positive were going to production. For some reason nobody thought to finish all of the important things first.
    There's no hesitation to throw others under the bus. A marketer I was working with had trouble prioritizing our work, so he tried to throw me under the bus saying I wasn't working harder, so he needed more resources. When I left, he suddenly turned that around and continued asking for more resources after losing a key member of the team.
    Middle management didn't care much about problems within the team. Another developer was pretty nasty to me, and I was lectured about how I shouldn't bring up feelings or give feedback in the moment (which Vistaprint prides itself on, whether it's right or wrong.) I then received the feedback that I should bring up one-on-one issues with another person in a team-wide retrospective. And nobody seems to care that project managers think that's appropriate and preferred.
    My team started doing "Scrum"... I kept trying to get my scrum team to actually try following the rules, then break them when we decide we have a good reason to. My product owner didn't want to do the hard work of his role, so he micromanaged so that he could change priorities as we went. The scrum master didn't care to attempt to enforce scrum, basically allowing someone without any technical experience to act as a boss. Self-organization completely out the window.
    When I left, I had a better opportunity that would get me back into a situation where I could grow junior developers, act as a team lead on projects, etc. Management basically tried to convince me that the situation there of being allowed to mentor one person every two years or so was equivalent. I had 3 non-HR exit interview type situations (along with the HR version) and all that happened was three people trying to convince me why I was wrong and VP was great, rather than trying to learn anything and make it better.
    The company brags about all of its great benefits like food trucks. Having food trucks come out there to the suburbs was great, but having free lunch twice a month doesn't beat weekly or even more frequent catering that other companies have - why is this lauded as being so great?

Advice to Management

Require middle management to have management skills, rather than being competent enough in IC roles to be promoted there. Same with IC leadership roles. Stop funneling all of the "lead" positions to a few people and give everyone a chance to prove themselves, not just a few people who you've selected.

"If you do choose to join this company do NOT join their Digital/Electronic Services team"

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- somewhat modern company
    - there's some good pockets of team within the company that are technology intensive and a great place to be in
    - Great place to be in if you like product development, product management or marketing

Cons

- Heavy politics, lots of white men with huge egos been here more than 5 years and ruling their capabilities
    - Limited freedom of opinion

Advice to Management

Please ensure some of your middle management in capabilities are eliminated for a better organization