Vistaprint Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I had no work life balance here and was expected to work 11 hour days often eating lunch at my desk (in 12 reviews)

• Organizational changes seem to be quite abundant and you have to be prepared to adapt to new projects and technologies easily (in 7 reviews)

"An amazing company that has gone downhill... fast"

Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, good benefits, flexible working environment, consistent adoption of new technology (which keeps employees consistently learning), and good time off package (with an extra month off every 5 years).

Cons

Layoffs, 3 rounds in the last 18 months, and 5 over the last few years has led to absolutely no job security, for anyone. Much of the talent this company was built on over the last decade has either been laid off or has left due to declining work conditions/opportunities. As someone who has been here almost a decade (when the company was much smaller), it is really sad to see how fast everything has gone downhill the past few years.

They are also absolutely against giving stock to employees (other than VP and up). The stock price has never been higher, but 'long term incentives' for anyone that less than a VP, is a complicated formula that actually paid out 0% this year... figure that one out.

New management philosophy is that a manager should have somewhere between 20-50 direct reports which means almost no direct guidance/learning/career development/performance reviews for employees anymore.

Advice to Management

Start being honest with yourselves and your employees again.

This was a great place to work because everyone felt like they were responsible for the companies success. Now, no one has any personal ties to the company performance anymore (other than convoluted LTI equations).

Stop lying to your employees saying that 'Passion for our customers' is our number one driving force, when at the end of the day, the latest layoff was so increase profit margins and increase stock price (which means our number one driving force is our investors, which is fine to actually admit).

"company of musical chairs"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

trying to become tech savvy

Cons

too much politics
    you have to showcase work but not do real work
    ceo is job insecure; so he keeps firing his top mgmt team every 2 years. strategy changes with the new incoming team, but ceo retains his job.

Advice to Management

hire only liars, crooks and con artists; they will suit your culture better instead of falsely claiming you are honest and have changed culturally. remember culture starts with founder and ceo.

"Common"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free Lunch 3 days per week
    - Great environment to learn
    - People really care about each other
    - Senior people genuinely respect the junior people and vice versa

Cons

- frequent org changes (AKA you may get abruptly canned)
    - difficult to break free from laissez faire patterns in the core platform
    - acquisitions are poorly integrated

Advice to Management

- protect the culture and don't let it fall prey to short term financial concerns. Its more precious and fragile than you realize.

4. "Very Bad Place"

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good location with free parking.

Cons

Where do I begin. First of all, the recent positive reviews for this company are definitely all fake. We just had a massive layoff and lost so many great employees due to the greed of upper management. Upper management is still getting paid their $2 mil+ salaries while hard working employees were recently laid off. The layoff targeted older employees too to stiff them of their full retirement...pathetic. Don't consider working for this company unless you want to be surrounded by selfish and conniving people, because that is all that's left after the layoff. This company is going down. Once I get my next job offer (hopefully soon) I am out of here.

Advice to Management

It's too late to make this a good company.

"Going Downhill Fast"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It used to be a pretty lax culture. Relatively nice, easy-going people. Some good benefits. Vistabreak (month-off paid vacation + all regular PTO) after 5 years, if you make it that long. Experimenting with newer technologies like React, Redux, and AWS (only on some teams though). The pay is really good and the office is pretty modern. I like working here for the most part.

Cons

Way too many re-orgs, especially this summer. There's pretty much been an unspoken hiring freeze for most of the year, so it's not really worth applying here anyway at this point. The management really lacks direction and vision. Communication used to be better, but now it's very poor. Upper management doesn't clearly voice initiatives to the company. They tell us to build one thing, then change their mind, and fire a bunch of people for not building what they didn't realize they had wanted. It's so confusing. There's also really no training at all here. People are highly critical of how fast you work and how much you get done. Work-life balance is going out the window with unqualified managers being promoted, then having upper management stress them out with too many initiatives and not pushing back. Then the teams have to absorb all that strain. I enjoy the work, but I'm concerned that we're moving in the wrong direction. New projects are decided by what one person at the top is "feeling" rather than real, hard user data. What?! It makes me insane. Don't think I'll be here long-term sadly.

Advice to Management

Stop reacting to "impulses", get level-headed, listen to those of us at the bottom about what's really going on. Build things that your users really need, not just what one person "thinks" they want. BE CLEAR ABOUT INITIATIVES! Communicate what you actually want us to develop instead of changing your mind half-way through. Don't promote spineless managers who just tell you what you want to hear, but have no actual skill, vision, or organizational abilities.

"A once might company slowly imploding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance & technology being used

Cons

Used to be a stable place, but in 2017 there has seriously been layoffs on a monthly basis (major ones every two months with minor ones in-between). The company stock price has shot up due tolling waste to the employees whom made the place.

Advice to Management

Figure where you want to go and do it - your constant shifting and layoffs have seriously demised the confidence of the remaining employees.

"Senior Manager responsible for product strategy and project management"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, smart people and great mission. Very customer driven and technology backed. Waltham location isn't great but could be worse.

Cons

Lots of churn on projects, functions in silos. Lack of clear incentives and limited growth opportunities. Very large organization that feels broad and lacking focus sometimes.

Advice to Management

Align more cross-functionally

"Worst place I have worked at"

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

The office is okay and there are some good benefits like the Vistabreak. The Vistabreak is a month long sabbatical that you receive after 5 years working here....most people do not make it that long.

Cons

Simply put, the managers here are the worst. They are sycophants that only care about their own personal growth and will stab anyone in the back to climb up on the ladder. Incompetent managers get promoted here and in turn that puts a large strain on their teams. My manager was an airhead that was good at telling people what they wanted to hear and had absolutely no social or leadership skills. It’s absurd that an organization is built on such horrible people. They breed a culture of back-stabbing and stepping on others to rise up in the org. The worst part is that upper management rewards this type of conniving behavior with promotions.

I had no work life balance here and was expected to work 11 hour days often eating lunch at my desk. There is absolutely no empathy between managers and their direct reports.

Do not work here unless you want to be completely disrespected and mistreated everyday. I cannot stress how horrible of a company this is.

Advice to Management

Please stop promoting selfish managers. The managers here are the worst I have ever seen and cannot lead if their lives depended on it. What are you doing promoting the most incompetent people to be managers?

"A shell of its former self"

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, beautiful new building, most coworkers are really brilliant, most managers allow decision making to happen at the lowest appropriate level which means anyone can make an impact. Lots of perks that younger generation likes (free lunch twice a month, free snacks/drinks, etc)

Cons

Constant reorgs causing upheaval and exhaustion. Historically it's been the norm to have a small restructure of some sort in one major function at least once a year. More recently the reorgs have had greater impact. Major missteps in decision making by executives in recent years have put us in this position. There is a lack of communication, foresight, and transparency from leadership and it will take years to recover.

Advice to Management

Consider that your short term decisions have long term consequences. A lot of strong people have left already, and more are planning to. Stop paying lip service to how much you want to develop employees and become a 'best place to work'- you don't need to research this for years to decide what to do. Be open to moving high potentials into new roles/functions. Adopt flexible work arrangements. Be clear what each function's goal is for the year and then let that team own delivery of the goal the way they see fit. Cut loose the pricey projects with questionable return and get back to basics of what made this company great.

"Smart people but no career growth opportunities"

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

Smart people, good work-life balance, 4-week sabbatical after every 5 years of employment, good benefits.

Cons

No growth opportunities for mid-career professionals. Promotions and title changes are rare, you could have a director level role in another company, but you'd be a "manager" at Vistaprint.
    Constant reorganizations, and role changes without clarity on problems the leadership is trying to address.

Advice to Management

Increase focus on retaining people with institutional knowledge. The pendulum has swung too much in favor of entry level engineers.