Vitacost Reviews | Glassdoor

Vitacost Reviews

Updated May 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Nice people that work there hourly (in 4 reviews)

• Worked with great people - lots of potential for growth (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management pandered to select employees, lots of cattiness and back-biting (in 3 reviews)

"Consider this place if you want a heart attack and dead end career"

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffee, free expired products, gym, Florida location, close to lunch spots, brilliant people to make friends with

Cons

Where should I start? We used to have a discount and free products, that is no longer happening. We also used to get free lunches on Fridays, but I guess that was eating into the budget, so instead of keeping that they cut it out and continue to pay executives an embarrassing salary and lunch expense account. The leadership has high turnover; the CFO, CIO (and recently COO fired) positions all are revolving doors with people who are ex cops, unqualified, and come from other companies where the CEO believes they have the magic potion. The reality is that the company is losing money hand over fist, has horrible wall street reviews and is in trouble. They don't purchase office supplies any more either; go figure. A lot of the old timers are just holding onto their jobs because that's all they have; they're unqualified to go elsewhere. The web development area can't even find people to stay; their turnover is high and the IT direction is gloomy and dull. If you are looking for a comical experience, join Vitacost. You won't be disappointed at the circus pitstop.

Advice to Management

Tighten up the trust and get a consulting firm in there to advise you on how to make money.

"Pompous Leadership"

Pros

Nice building with luxurious gym and nice offices. Cubicles are great and non stop office supplies.

Cons

Leadership is horrible there is no direction for workers. All managers of IT are strange and pompous to others. Just because we don't know computers they treat us like bad people and stupids.

Advice to Management

Bring back free health insurance, monthly rewards and anniversary celebrations. Company is suffering through bad times and CEO just has raise to $400K. It is in news.

"Quit today - they stole 2 years of my life"

Pros

Nice people and genuine friends that I made there. Many people in marketing are of good nature and enjoy their work. Bathrooms and a gym. Desk, chair and water. Close to my boyfriend's home in Boynton Beach.

Cons

Crazy executives (CEO, CMO, CIO) who think they're all that and spew positive daisies all day. I left today because of an argument with my boss. She wanted me to update something no matter how long I had to stay tonight. I needed to leave to pick up my daughter and she refused to allow that. She mentioned to me that I didn't know what I was doing and that I would regret it. I walked out after being harassed by horrible manager and people who wanted work on the weekends. Give me a break. I have a life and refuse this nonsense.

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake reviews here. The company is a horrible experience and causes people grief. The positive reviews are from obvious high paid execs who know nothing about earning a low paycheck and being harrased. A joke at best at Vitacost.

"Great job for an 18 year old who lives with their parents, low pay, gossip and crappy hours"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carolina, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carolina, NC

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ice pellet machine, and nice landscaping.

Cons

No growth opportunity, a lot of inter-office secret relationships and dramatics of the high school kind, no training, CEO getting insane pay increases and I couldn't even get a 20 cent raise after 3 years...they took the discounts away, they took the free monthly $25 in supplements away, insurance got worse and the price got higher, can't keep anyone in HR or any executive position for that matter, for any decent amount of time. From 2009-2013 it has become a different company in the worst of ways, the excellent reviews are fake as well, I know how this company operates...

Advice to Management

No thanks.

6. "One star is generous!"

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

The only pro I could think of is at least I got to take a lunch break during the day; which at times was even frowned upon. There are a few employees within the company that are genuinely nice people...hopefully they will wake up and leave soon!

Cons

I'm not even sure where to begin...I don't know if I there is enough space for me to type. Leaders DO NOT lead by example. They micromanage every ounce of your job and have no trust or faith in their employees. It's not a rewarding atmosphere; it is a very depressing place to step foot into every day. There is a lot of unprofessional behavior that takes place within upper management; they are like corrupt cops and there is no avenue to express concerns to because HR is also part of their regime. I think that the CMO may be the only saving grace at the entire organization and I feel sorry for him that he has to deal with a bunch of social misfits. If you want to work in an environment that will completely diminish any creative ideas or potential you have...go to Vitacost. Unless of course you don't work at Office Depot...because you can't get hired if you don't have that under your belt.

Advice to Management

Try to learn how to treat people like human beings. Animals are treated more humanely and with more dignity than the employees here.

"Going elsewhere like so many others"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pleasant co worker are abundant as well as mostly intelligent people. Sunny state, nice area and plenty of walking sidewalks around the complex as I walk a lot. I also use the workout and showers periodically at night.

Cons

The outlook of the company concerns me dearly. I am an old timer (6 years) and we are not turning a profit still. We are cutting back a lot and even the CEO has dumped millions of his own money to help us stay afloat. I genuinely like the company and people, but we can't seem to turn a profit. for whatever reason. I am afraid it will be a mass lay off so I am currently looking elsewhere. I have nothing 'bad' to say about the company except that the aura is negative and many people do indeed gossip and partake in immature activities like many reviews here state. Personally, I am over that, just looking for a stable and growing company to join so I can enjoy the last 3rd or so of my career. I have seen a CIO, VP, COO and 4 management members leave over the past 8 or 9 months (many by their own doing and many others through 'layoffs' and this has me concerned).

Advice to Management

Get some help to steer the organization to a stable financial state. The current ways don't seem to be working and many employees are creating a negative workplace. Give some sort of incentive like SPOT awards on a monthly basis; this was done over the years, but stopped last summer.

"I can't wait to quit this place"

Current Employee - Marketing Slave in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Slave in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The paycheck clears. Some of the people are nice.

Cons

Everything else. As soon as I find a better job, even if it pays the same, I'm splitsville.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and put everyone out of their misery.

"If you are savvy enough to check Glassdoor before accepting a job offer from VC, do yourself a favor and don't accept it"

Pros

This is not really applicable.

Cons

They run on a proprietary platform. Seriously? In 2013????

Advice to Management

They wouldn't take my advice while I was there. Why would they take it now?

"A negative environment with little to offer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice paycheck, in-office gym, sometimes free samples of products. Made friends with some wonderful people. There's nothing else positive I can think of.

Cons

No matter how many hours you put in or how much you help to improve the company, it'll never be enough. After witnessing so many people get fired at the desks around me, I was afraid for my job. There was immense pressure from the higher-ups to reach goals that were unattainable. Save your social life, happiness and self-worth and don't work here.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Allow your employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Happy, well-treated employees will turn out better work for you.

"A great place to loose self confidence, most people who work there are in therapy"

I worked at Vitacost full-time

Pros

Great products and fun industry, human resources tries hard and there are a few nice people.sometimes you get free products or lunch

Cons

It is a mentally abusive work environment, people are hired with titles beyond their experience so the CEO can drain them of their industry knowledge and then get fired. Interesting business model.

Advice to Management

Treat people like professionals, give them the freedom to do the job they are hired to do and get out of the day to day.