Vitacost Reviews | Glassdoor

Vitacost Reviews

Updated February 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Nice people that work there hourly (in 4 reviews)

• Worked with great people - lots of potential for growth (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Particuarly there is strong conflict between IT and Marketing, who always blames each other (in 3 reviews)

"Gets worst and worst. Keep looking"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A pay check and air conditioned

Cons

Management team including Team leads think they are superior to you. You work weekend all the time no family time or work/life balance. Talk to you like your a child and feel like they do not value your work. Nothing is ever good enough or enough. They work on a limited staff but want more work than you can provide, a person can only do so much. Everyone there is trying to get out. I don't know if the CEO knows how we are treated not if he cares.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect your employee And treat them like they are human better. Better hours and pay

"Overworked and underpaid"

I worked at Vitacost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some exciting projects I worked on but my team never got any praises from anyone even though it was pulling in a major revenue stream into the organization.

Cons

All employees are over-worked but they dont want you to log the 60 hours you worked. They want to you to log it as 40 hours- why? If the employees brought a class action suit against this company they would win because this organization is in violation of labor laws. IT and the BI team are clueless, They all still work there. Most talented people I have known have left. They have a wall of shame when projects miss the tight deadlines. Really? Is this how you motivate your employees. Such ways point to a very inexperienced leadership. I used to get free stuff every month but most of the food products were stale. The food we were served every Friday was high calorie and this is a health retailer. They just dont get it.

Advice to Management

Well if managment was reading the reviews against Vitacost, they would do something There are bad reviews out there from customers and all issues with customers are happening because IT is clueless. The whole IT department needs to be fired or outsourced. They are one of the major reasons this organization is in bad shape.

"One odious experience"

I worked at Vitacost full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed making friends with the smart people in the organization. There are smart people here. That's really the only pro. I worked with many smart marketing people there; many of whom have left or been asked to leave.

Cons

The cons outweighed the pros by a long shot. As many of the reviews here recounted, the experience was something ridiculous at best. The day to day events are out of Abbot and Costello or the 3 stooges.

The C levels are all gone except the CEO. CIO and CMO both replaced in 2011, 2nd CIO replaced in 2012, COO gone in 2013. The CMO resigned and VP of marketing left in 2013 as well. The stability is unbelievably poor and this has to do with senior leadership and the CEO and the lack of general understanding in the e-commerce space. Strategic leadership is what the company needs. I am not sure why the board does not evaluate what's going on in their ship and do something about it. I recently resigned and am now at a much better company with full benefits, respect and a future.

Advice to Management

Consider selling the entity and get out. Too many people are suffering and if you can't turn a profit in many years, it's time to revaluate your strategy and perhaps get some intervention.

"This was a dissapointing experience"

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

The product line and philosophy of health and wellness is something I whole heartedly believe in and practice. This is the reason I chose to accept the offer of employment. There are many friendly, smart and helpful people in the company. The dress code is casual as you want and there are some unexpected free foods/snacks/products periodically; but not often.

Cons

This is hard but I will be pointed and straightforward. I am a person who rarely complains, whines, etc., so I won't; I will simply point out my honest cons.

My manager was suddenly let go this year. He was a good manager like most and the reason given was that his position was being eliminated. How true it was; I can't really say as I wish to remain anonymous. There are clicks and social groups here that seem to push people out of the company. Yes, they exist in all companies, but this is pervasive and negative talk/backstabbing comes from leadership all the way down, so that should tell you something about the genuiness of the people.

The company has seemed to have a negative outlook on certain groups. "It's marketing", or "It's IT's issue". This sort of blame game does nothing to resolve issues and creates an internal environment that makes people truly want to leave and not want to come in. The behind the scenes meetings of my group blames this or that group, we do little to resolve and then we leave the conference room without resolution. Not a very productive work environment. I could do a better job at mediating, but I am afraid to say anything in fear of revenge or firing.

The CEO is an old veteran of the business and is effective AT TIMES. A lot of the time, he walks around and is sarcastic when referring to other individuals or peers. He even talks bad about people I work with. Why? This is not professional and does little to HELP which is what he should try to be doing. This is a public company and should conduct itself in this manner.

Firings, quits, attrition, whatever we choose to call it has been rampant during 2013. I am not sure why and am quiet, do my job and hope I am not the next person called into a surprise meeting in the AM or PM to let me know that "your job has been "eliminated" only to find that I've been replaced with a less expensive and younger version of me.

I hope I've been candid and you can see there are issues.

Advice to Management

Be fair and square to everybody no matter what their title is. Stop the negatvie talk, degrading and sarcasm within the company. Get advice on how to turn a profit so resolve our issues.

"Unrewarding"

Current Employee - Chief Departing Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Chief Departing Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a pleasure to work with everyone in this organization who does not have "chief" in their title.

Cons

What exactly does the chief merchandising officer who makes $300,000 do aside from ask rhetorical, confusing questions?

Advice to Management

You probably should replace everyone with a "C" in front of their title, including yourself, and especially the "chief human resources officer" that no one goes to because she's a terrible person with a terrible attitude.

"Going down...unfortunately"

Pros

The checks clear the bank.

Cons

Everything you are reading here is true unfortunately. It has a decent products, decent possibliities, but unfortunately, the leadership team can't make their minds up about profitability. Today's news says that the 3rd largest investor wants the company put up for sale. OMG, more drama here. I have to look now before it's tto late. Google, vitacost news and read for yourself. Also, our stock tanked big time and can't recover. There are so many competitors out there; it's amazing that this place even exists. And the IT group should all be replaced including the CIO who still can't seem to get things straight over on that side.

Advice to Management

Sell and get out while you can. Best advice anybody will give you.

"I just quit today!"

Pros

Check clears and there is parking.

Cons

Company is being urged to be put up for sale by 3rd largest investor. Disgusting excuse for a company. Horrible experience I wouldn't recommend to anybody anywhere regardless of how much you need employment. Nice people, but warped leadership, particularly all C level employees and IT. They are clueless how to properly develop software and deploy smoothly. Nothing but drama and bugs that can't be fixed in ancient technology.

Advice to Management

None. They will soon be out of business or sold to a leading retailer.

"Don't waste your time."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Couldn't find any advantages besides quitting.

Cons

Lack of direction, ego management and lack of strategy. No solution for success in long term...losing money everyday and it will not stop until a new CEO is put in

Advice to Management

Change CEO stockholder!

"An Excruciating Year - There Are Far Better Opportunities in this Industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have intentionally waited for several months after my resignation to write this review. This was to provide some separation between the experience and allow me to be more objective in the review.

The relocation package, salary, and bonus (had I stayed to receive one) were all generous. The office itself was clean, in a nice area, and featured a small on-site gym as well as multiple break rooms with the occasional free sample. The samples were typically the Vitacost house brand supplements that were at or near expiration, however. I also had the opportunity to work with some very talented people, who mostly left for better companies and opportunities over the course of my year with the company. There was also a small health foods 'store' in the front of the office which sold healthy foods, snacks and drinks at cost. The company also provided medical and dental benefits, but they were probably about as average as they come in terms of price and overall quality.

Cons

Leadership is by far the biggest obstacle this company faces. The CEO is one of the least likable people I've ever worked with. He shows a complete lack of respect for those around him (except for a small crew of several men who he apparently holds in high praise and can do no wrong), including the other C-level members and senior management. I once brought this up with the head of the Human Resources department, who explained it away with a shrug, stating that the management style is "a bit rough around the edges because the CEO is more of an entrepreneur than a typical Chief Executive." This explanation rang hollow because being a professional and being an entrepreneur are not mutually exclusive.

Beyond this, the company can never seem to pick a certain direction to move in. Instead, the company fumbles from one sale to the next, focusing almost all efforts on short term objectives (the monthly site-wide sale) instead of growing a healthy customer base (the customers who do happen to shop at the site are quickly bombarded with spam level amounts of email after a single purchase). The IT department was also a tangle of new and old legacy systems, duct taped together with fingers crossed that the site wouldn't burn down every night. The IT staff always seemed to be strapped for time, under incomprehensible pressure, and faced with the inane questions of a CEO who can barely operate his own iPad, let alone operate a supposedly up-and-coming online health products retailer.

Advice to Management

At this point, put the company out there and let a decent group acquire it while the name is still worth something. Failing that, maybe the shareholders will recognize the issues and ask the CEO to sell his shares and walk away.

"Most unprofessional place I have ever worked"

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

Some of the people I work with are nice. It's a very casual dress policy.

Cons

Compensation is not good at all. Moral is very low. Training is a joke. The call center is nothing more than a room with tables lined up with employee's sitting about 2 feet away from the next person. There are no cubicles. There is one bathroom that one person at a time can use in the call center for about 100 people to use. I have worked in customer service for a long time and, by far, Vitacost.com's customers are the rudest people, mainly because management does not care about customers or doing what's right for them. I was promised in my interview that I would get every other weekend off. That didn't happen. I'm now working every weekend. If you use more than 11 min of after call work time for the entire 8 hour shift, you get in trouble. You get 3 min in 8 hours to use the restroom, or once again, you get in trouble.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to begin.