Vital Decisions Reviews | Glassdoor

Mitchell Daitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Specialist in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office space, nice cubicles, cafe in building, paid holiday, sick time and vacation days. Decent salary depending on your role and tier, good coworkers, various office locations, flexibility in schedule and work hours, ability to work from home, near public transportation if needed, free CEU courses and or time of to take a CEU course. Great learning environment and the clients present to benifit from the service.

Cons

Very stressful. All jobs are numbers based in some way or another but this job its front and center. You must meet a quota each month or your salary is dropped by 10K within three months of not meeting quota. It is not a counseling job but counseling skills are needed. You cannot get licensure hours. Conversations with clients can feel forced. The job is a rollocoster ride of feeling great about learning new things and having great conversation with clients but feeling crappy if you do not meet expectations. The job does not feel stable or a place to set roots. They had recent cut in staff so it did not help the unstable feeling.

"100% a Telemarketing & SALES position- wish I'd known"

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time

Pros

nice work environment and supervisor. Decent pay. kitchen equipped with coffee and other treats

Cons

THIS IS NOT FOR A REAL THERAPIST OR CLINICIAN OF ANY KIND. I was told I would be counseling people who were sick and dying- not at all true.
    This is a sales job- my ex used to work in sales and I literally am doing the same type of work. You are expected to ENROLL people into the program and it feels very exploitive to prey on vulnerable people who are lonely would be willing to talk to anyone regardless of what type of service we are . YOU ARE NOT counseling people. For instance, we get people all the time who NEED counseling because they are dying, but you AREN'T ALLOWED to provide them with counseling. Your SOLE JOB is to recruit people into the program- you have a QUOTA to reach, and to have those people go through the STEPS of the program in a couple of calls. You have very specific things that you are allowed to say to them- and you cannot deviate. Whomever described the work as helping people who are dying is lying to you or him/herself. I feel like I am selling my soul every day because I hear people on the other end of the phone who need to talk but i cant focus on that i have my agenda that i have to reach. Doesn't matter what the client truly needs.
    There is no room for actual creativity- this is honestly a good job for people who aren't very bright or clinically sound. They claim from day 1 that they "only hire the best of the best (which almost every corporation claims)" but the reality is that anyone who is intellectual, an indepedent thinker, and has real experience as a therapist is not suited for this place. This is a job for someone who is very concrete. I'm embarassed to tell my therapist friends what I actually do at work.

Advice to Management

Please identify the job more accurately- this is clearly a sales position in every sense of the word and yet you won't just call it that. Stop telling new employees that they will be "counseling" people because this is misleading and you know it. There is a reason you don't need a license to work here- because it's not really clinical work.

Jan 19, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

As a current employee, we are deeply concerned if you feel this way about your position. The Specialist role is not a good fit for everyone and we encourage you to come forward to share your... More

3. "Not so “transparent”!!"

Former Employee - Specialist
    Former Employee - Specialist

I worked at Vital Decisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, nice office space and fellow coworkers were very friendly. There were also perks such as free coffee, office parties and clubs (not much opportunity to actually attend based on needing to meet quota).

Cons

First off, I am a licensed social worker who looked for a new opportunity to expand my career. From the start of the recruitment process, this job was presented to be something completely different than what it actually was. Going into the role, no one was ever told we would be cold calling. No one mentioned a quota until our training class was already in the on boarding process. HAVING A QUOTA=SALES!!! I was mislead to believe the people I would be having telephone based sessions with were already signed up for the program.

They refer to supervision as “clinical supervision” but is far from it. You cannot actually accumulate clinical hours here (and for good reason)! Supervision consists of talking about your “numbers” and listening to calls (all calls are recorded internally and externally). You’re told you are doing something good for clients but at the end of the day you feel you are being pushed by supervisors to harass people into enrolling into a program they have probably already done somewhere else. Being able to make your quota is near impossible when 38% of your referrals given to you to work with are non-working numbers (and then due to lack of resources you are not able to get anymore since insurance plans had reached their cap or pulled out from the company). Many numbers were also for clients in facilities that you’re never able to reach or family members that you’re told to call and leave voicemails for around 8-11 times within a 60 day period. Not to mention, these clients and their families have so much going on with their advanced illness so you feel terrible while doing it and the people who sign up for the program are usually people just looking for someone to talk to. You are limited to only utilizing Motivational Interviewing for each “session”. Mind you, my mother who worked in sales for years used motivational interviewing every single day. I was very disheartened by this job. They claim they value their employees yet people were told their jobs were safe leading up to the exact day they were let go after being told the company was not in any sort of hardship.

Advice to Management

If you’re going to preach transparency, actually exercise it. Be honest.

Jan 19, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We understand that this role is very unique and not an ideal fit for everyone. Transparency is extremely important to us as an organization... More

"telemarketing at it's finest"

Pros

My coworkers were pretty nice and supportive

Cons

You have to make cold calls! I never knew this and it was one of the worst experiences having to call people who are dying and have enough going on. Seems very wrong.
    This is literally one of the worst positions or jobs I have ever had. The phoniness made me want to puke. The clients are seen as dollar amounts and the workers are easily discarded for not convincing enough people to sign up for our service and hence not having enough "numbers". Calling supervision "clinical supervision" is such a blatant lie- there is no clinical superivsion because there is no clinical work. Supervision consists of listening to recordings of the calls you've made and being told where there was an opening in which you could have convinced the client to enroll. Literally all calls are recorded just as any sales call would be.

Advice to Management

Be honest.

Jan 19, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback and recognizing that the role was not an ideal fit for you. We are disappointed to hear that you feel you weren’t given a clear picture of the Specialist role. We try... More

"Specialists"

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, when you are able to engage clients you will have some wonderful conversations.

Cons

Mainly a sales type position, You spend the day going through a list of hundreds of names given to you through insurance plans, calling people and trying to convince them to talk about advanced care planning. You have numbers to meet monthly or you will lose your job. We get paid per person that agrees to participate. You may have 2-3 sessions a day and the rest of the day is leaving messages or trying to talk people into speaking with you. Beware as insurance plans are beginning to provide this service in house, and the company has been laying off employees. The service we provided will probably not be needed within a few years.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring licensed clinicians, it does not make sense as it is not clinical work. Stop hiring so many people so fast, just to lay them off as insurance plans are no longer interested in our service.

Dec 4, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. As you mentioned, earlier this year we made the extremely difficult decision to reorganize our workforce. This decision was made in order to balance our... More

"Awesome place to work if the job is the right fit for you"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the more recent reviews talk about feeling unethical in the work that is done here and about the session expectations. The company did just downsize and lay some people off because of some referral changes so I guess a few negative reviews makes sense. I feel like the negative reviewers are people who are upset they were let go or the job just wasn't right for them, and the work really has to be the right fit. The company works with clients that probably have a terminal illness and their families too. The company is really unique so people don't know we exist which is why we outreach, which is weird at first but if you remember who you are calling and why it helps and there is a lot of support. It's not selling something and I never felt unethical. As a Masters level clinician I wouldn't work here if that was the case no matter what I was paid). And it's not like you are calling random people, you are calling people that are probably sick enough to benefit from the program. I think the thing that drew me in the most was all the training and professional development opportunities. If you are really wanting to grow and learn a new way of working with people, this is for you. The company just sent like the entire training department to Ireland to receive training and a special certification in motivational interviewing. They also provide time off and money for CEU's separate from the other time off you get. There are a lot of changes sometimes, so you need to be okay with that also. This is not the job for that type of person. You do have session expectations. I feel like there was always a way any past bosses measured what I'm doing every day. Again, it is different here, and stressful at times, but it's okay. And the company is now looking at effort and other things like quality too. It's a company that is 90% social workers and therapists - it's a really nice work environment. Really nice office, parking garage, cafeteria in the building, Keurigs with free coffee/tea, working from home and flexible hours. The people are really great and a lot of people have been here for a long time. You make a lot more money here in the clinical roles than anywhere else I have seen for the work and you can make more if you want to do more. They have different groups like social committee and culture committee and book clubs and a compassion fatigue group and if anything I think we process things too much. I think it's worth checking out to see if it's right for you.

Cons

Like I said, the company changes as it grows and you need to be okay with being in that environment. If you are looking for an easy paycheck, this is probably not for you.

Advice to Management

Hold the negative employees accountable more for how they can affect others. Continue to work on making Specialist expectations clear and consistent with things like quality and effort.

Nov 13, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for expressing your views about Vital Decisions, and we’re glad you like it here. And keep sharing your feedback so we can continue to improve and make this an even better place to work!

"A growing company with a great mission, an incredible workforce, and a high value service."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Colleagues at all levels are incredible. We hire amazing people. 2. Growth opportunities 3. Agile organization that responds quickly to feedback 4. Commitment to high quality services is clear and the resource commitment to continuous improvement is phenomenal 5. CEO and other leaders are down to earth and highly invested in shared success

Cons

Organization is fast growing and navigating normal organizational changes common of this phase of development. Not really cons. Just opportunities to evolve.

Advice to Management

As we grow, our commitment to how we change is important. Stay proactive and employee focused. Happy employees make for a positive client experience. So many right things are already in place. The future is bright with this company. We are all fortunate to be part of this legacy and to serve our incredible clients facing serious illness- who teach us how important it is to be human and show courage as we lead change in our country's healthcare system.

"Specialist"

I worked at Vital Decisions full-time

Pros

Salary was high end of the norm, nice office space

Cons

Soliciting clients, though they were sent a letter before hand, felt uncomfortable and unethical.

Advice to Management

None.

"Stepford wives"

Current Employee - Specialist in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Higher salary than most other companies in the area. Free coffee. Earn work from home ability. Good benefits.

Cons

Recently laid off many people, some of whom had been there for years with good performance, without any notice, some while on vacation. Expresses transparency, diversity and respect yet company demonstrates anything but those qualities. Unrealistic and constantly changing expectations. Cold call telephone sales yet denies this to he so. Must fit prescribed mold. Knowledge, skills, experience and abilities not respected, utilized or admired. Little promotion from within. Supervisors lack understanding of role of the job.

Advice to Management

Need to be honest, open, consistent, concise, respectful and appreciative of hard work provided by specialists. Management does not know the actual job and appreciate the expectations. Much incorrect and misleading Information is disseminated. Little appreciation for individual talents.

Nov 13, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We recently had to make the extremely difficult decision to reorganize our organization and some individuals’ employment was impacted by this. This decision was not... More

"Avoid this place at all costs!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Living Well Specialist in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Living Well Specialist in White Plains, NY

I worked at Vital Decisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary/benefits, fellow coworkers are awesome

Cons

This company was absolutely horrible to work for. To sum this job up: Contacting healthcare company members out of the blue based on claims data that lead you to believe they will likely be terminally ill. Engage them in end-of-life discussions (that must be 15-20 min. minimum to count). No room for advancement, poor management, lack of clinical growth. When asking for clarity and assistance with clinical growth - I was told to "fake it till you make it." Numbers mean EVERYTHING and quality is not taken into account at all. If you are not making your numbers, your desire to work there is immediately questioned rather than assisting with steps for improvement. This is a SALES POSITION so I have no idea why they hire mental health professionals. The starting salary was great until I found out that every month my salary was in jeopardy (by $10K) if I did not make my numbers. Cold calling individuals with potential terminal illness without any information and attempting to convince them to save the health insurance companies money by developing a living will felt extremely wrong and made me question my own integrity every single day...

Advice to Management

Value your employees, rethink how you evaluate success, contribute to clinical growth, hire marketing/sales professionals, and rethink your actual mission because you are no longer contributing to the good of the people who are struggling with life threatening illnesses at this point - you are contributing to the pockets of healthcare company CEO's.

Nov 13, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your perspective. We understand that the work we do is very unique and not for everyone. We assist individuals facing difficult medical situations in defining their values and... More