Vital Decisions Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mitchell Daitz

1. "5 Star Employer"

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As someone who has and is currently devoting my life to the betterment of others with both chronic and advanced illness, I could not ask for a better place and people to work with here at Vital Decisions in White Plains, NY. This job is the perfect combination of meaning, substance, work/life balance and compensation. I look forward to growing with and within the company.

Cons

Like any job, there are tough days and stressful moments but they are far and few between as compared to other places I have worked at.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in terms of continued training, internal career advancement, expanding new offices, benefits, perks and openness to growth and change. It's a pleasure to work with and for you. Thank you.

2. "I'm happy to go to work"

Current Employee - Specialist in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work. The people are friendly and so welcoming. The employees are definitely high quality. There is a lot of support and supervision. They believe in honesty and transparency here and are open to hearing criticism and actually fixing the issues.

Cons

Making the calls and having some people say they are not interested in the program can be discouraging.

Advice to Management

Maybe it would be easier for some specialist not to have to do any outreach to referrals and only get follow up clients.

"Love it here."

Current Employee - Specialist in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Vital Decisions (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many wonderful things about working here at Vital Decisions, for one the staff is amazing from our CEO who you may run into in our kitchen making coffee (by the way coffee is free here) and will have a candid conversation with you and is genuinely interested in how you’re doing, to the directors who are supportive, approachable, and are always willing to listen to your needs and are willing to support you in any way they can, to the supervisors whose door is always open to provide whatever support you need, who work hard to help you reach your full potential as a clinician and are always willing to offer you challenges to help you grow professionally, to the specialist who help each other and genuinely thrive on the success of their colleagues. If you are feeling insecure or anxious they will stop what they are doing to calm your anxieties and normalize the feelings you have with any new endeavor. We have fun here at Vital Decision from our yearly field day to our recognition dinner to all the other fun activities that are put together though out the year to foster unity.

Working at Vital Decisions has given me the opportunity to grow tremendously not only on a professional level but also on a personal one. On a professional level I have grown so much clinically and these are skills that I have been able to implement outside of Vital Decisions, the clinical training you receive here is amazing, they support your ideas and encourage them, they are always interested in what your professional goals are and will work with you to achieve them. On a personal level I have grown to appreciate the little things in life, to truly do my best to live my life to the fullest and not sweat the small stuff. Working with our clients has been the most rewarding experience in my life so far and they have and continue to teach me such amazing life lessons. Vital Decisions has exceeded my expectations as an employer and I see myself here for a very long time.

Cons

Due to some changes in our title I can no longer count my hour hear towards licensing however, the company has gone above and beyond in working with me so that I can finish my hour else where.

"It's a challenge"

Current Employee - Specialist in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm very new to the company. So far training has been very detailed. The coworkers are very nice and helpful. The salary is good. The job is heavily influenced by motivational interviewing.

Cons

Calling clients to engage in program is challenging.

Advice to Management

So far I feel supported. Keep it up.

Aug 31, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We’re glad you feel supported! Please do speak up if you need further assistance. You have a ton of support to help you including your Supervisor, your peers, the training staff, and leadership ... More

"counselor cherry hill"

Former Employee - Counselor in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Counselor in Cherry Hill, NJ

Pros

it has been ok salary is good

Cons

target expectations has been too high

Advice to Management

none

"Not sustainable for those looking to grow clinically or focus on clinical work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I worked at Vital Decisions full-time

Pros

Supportive coworkers, attractive physical environment. Possibility to work from home two days per week after successful completion of training period.

Cons

The task at hand becomes narrow (and often largely focused on endless fruitless calls depending on assigned client base) and does not allow for practiced licensed clinicians to fully utilize or build upon their skills. Inconsistent support from upper management often makes meeting the engagement expectations impossible and inconsistent directives, given the rapid growth of the company, make goals difficult to articulate and achieve.

Advice to Management

Work with insurers to develop a more effective kind of pre-outreach plan so that clinically oriented folks aren't working as marketers of a product and can focus on the job they are trained and licensed to perform. More success may be had if potential clients were given explanatory materials/ referrals from their insurers or participating doctors.

Aug 31, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We have been utilizing new ways in which to engage clients such as case manager referrals and an engagement team who focuses on engaging and determining program interest ... More

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Specialist in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Specialist in Cherry Hill, NJ

Pros

My coworkers were nice and helpful.

Cons

Basically, this is a sales job. You are trying to sell a program that even the managers always said "was hard to explain". Clearly if it is hard to explain, there is a problem. In training we spent two days crafting our own introductions to the program. If it is that hard to come up with an intro for calling potential new clients, something shady is clearly wrong.

You have weekly supervision and I literally hard the same conversation every week. I was asked if the job was a good fit for me. Both my supervisor and I knew it wasn't, so why keep asking me and just fire me.

The job honestly does not embrace your clinical skills. My clinical abilities had never once been questioned in previous positions. However, it was questioned by management every single day because my skills and style did not coinsidevwith the MI model. Counseling is not a one size fits all treatment approaches job, but here unfortunately, that is the case.

One thing that still bothers me is the fact that some supervisors and upper management do not hold clinical licenses to practice independently as an LCSW or LPC. Based on my experience, education, and licensure level, it was very difficult to be under constant scrutiny regarding my clinical skills when my credentials were higher than those of the management team.

Lastly, if you don't make your numbers in getting new people to sign up for the program, you take a pretty hefty paycut.

Advice to Management

Please start being honest with potential employees that you are expecting them to get clients to sign up for the program. I am not a salesman and clearly couldn't sell the program; hence why I was let go. Had I known that was about 70% of the job, I would not have invested so much time in the interview process nor accepted the position.

Aug 31, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. What we do is very unique in that we assist individuals in determining their values and their priorities and help them integrate these into their healthcare decisions ... More

"One Year Anniversary"

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vital Decisions is unlike any company I have ever worked for. After a year of employment here, I continue to look forward to coming into work each day- which is something that I've never been able to say before. Unlike other organizations within the field of mental health, there are numerous opportunities for growth. The management and supervisory team here at Vital Decisions are supportive and encourage each employee to meet their unique goals within the company. With work from home days, and a flexible hours, the schedule facilitates a positive work-life-balance. I feel so lucky and proud to be apart of such an incredible organization.

Cons

Vital Decisions has a rigorous application process, and it took me two times to apply to meet the job specifications until I was accepted as a Specialist. It was absolutely worth the wait, and the process speaks to how important the company believes in finding the right employees to represent the organization.

Jun 14, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We’re glad you stuck with it and applied again! We continue to facilitate a culture that is flexible, supportive and encourages employees to meet their full potential, and we're glad you're a part ... More

"Don't do it to yourself if you are a true clinical professional"

Former Employee - Healthcare Counselor in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Healthcare Counselor in Edison, NJ

I worked at Vital Decisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The starting salary wasn't too bad. The fellow counselors were very nice. The clients are very sweet to talk to.

Cons

Unfortunately, I was only able to make it there less than a year. Although the management team tells you it is not cold-calling during training, it absolutely is. Do not be fooled. The work is done solely over the phone. You are given a list of "possible" people that are at the end stage of their lives and basically calling them out of the blue asking if they are willing to receive monthly calls to talk about their upcoming death (yes, it's horrible). You are supposed to work with them on preparing themselves and their loves ones but it is often so depressing for the clients as well as the counselor. I hung up calls many times in tears for my clients. They are so sweet. The job is based off of "making numbers" every month. You are expected to make many calls per day (30-60 or more) to people on your list. If you don't "make your numbers" you will not get a salary increase, your salary could be decreased, or even worse, you will lose your job. In my opinion, it is not using your clinical social work or psychology degree or your state licensure. Most importantly, do not think the hours you work there will help you in getting your full license (e.g. LAC to LPC), it will not work as the state does not recognize this type of phone work as real counseling. When I left, I walked out of that building in smiles, happy.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of your staff. Stop making promises that the company can't keep (e.g. telling incoming workers that they can get their licensure hours).

May 17, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate your perspective, however we have many satisfied employees who are empowered by the work they do and feel honored to help the patients through an incredibly challenging period in their ... More

"Healtcare Counselor"

Current Employee - Healthcare Counselor II in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Healthcare Counselor II in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Vital Decisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love that working at Vital decisions offers me the opportunity to help people I normally would have never met. It affords the opportunity to be, truly, autonomous in my day to day activities. I am able to work with like-minded people who take the time to know you and understand you.

Cons

There are very few cons to working here. It's a new company, which means there is always change, and if you don't adjust well in that type of environment, it may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Management does an amazing job of keeping the ideas of it's workers at the forefront of decision making. This makes for a healthier workplace and environment.

May 18, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback! We're so glad you feel autonomous and engaged in what you do! Yes, we are ever-changing and growing, opening two new offices and cultivating innovation and quality which ... More