Vitals Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Vitals CEO Heyward Donigan
Heyward Donigan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Unlimited vacation, flexible time-off policy, excellent work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Vitals empowers employees to make a difference and encourages creativity and 'out of the box' thinking (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No 401k match, which is a major bummer (in 3 reviews)

• No 401k match, health benefits coverage bad (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Working at Vitals"

I have been working at Vitals full-time

Pros

The company has a clear and compelling value proposition-to positively impact the cost of healthcare. There is real effort made to communicate how all employees contribute to the progress toward that vision. There is a lot of emphasis placed on recognizing individual contributions and their impact.

Cons

Not a "con" per se, but a rapid growth environment is very different than what exists in more established companies, and in order to succeed you really need to be capable of finding the balance between "just doing it" vs waiting for direction.

"I hope they improve soon..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lyndhurst, NJ

I have been working at Vitals full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, flexible hours, free snacks and drinks

Cons

No real processes, low morale

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to not be aware of the problems going on with senior leadership and do something to fix it!

3. "Very Good but also very hectic!"

I worked at Vitals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good people, and a fully stocked kitchen with plenty of snacks and drinks

Cons

Hectic work, every project is very last minute, most things are done rushed and need to be completed quickly.

"Middle management"

Pros

Small group of people, free snacks and massage. Flexible work schedules in most departments. Good short term gig right out of college.

Cons

Management has no clue how to make it work. Incompetent and insecure people under the executive team are being rewarded while others have left or made to leave.

Every time they miss numbers, it is due to external factors. Their bonus figures are not earned because they keep missing targets. Do not believe the positive spin in management presentation to employees.

All incompetent people get salary their adjusted so they do not leave since they do not get bonus and they need them around for short term. Also a person with real talent would not join them considering what is going on at vitals. Check the profile of existing people on LinkedIn see their jobs before vitals and at vitals and the title progression.

During interview:

-Ask them why did they could not replace COO? The real story why they ended up making three people joint COOs after the candidate rejected the offer. Why that candidate rejected the offer?

-Ask them why none of the executives are in the office for weeks at a time? Why are they disengaged?

- Ask them when do they expect to turn profit? And how many times that target has been changed due to "external factors". Even this latest budget seemed do able earlier (at the minimum they thought they would get the low end), but now are they making numbers?

-Ask them about loans and investments in the company and cash situation.

Engineering team, product and few sales people are one of the best ones at vitals rest are bunch of incompetent people who would not find the same job outside vitals.

I would be surprised if they are around in a few years.

Advice to Management

Do not make people leave good jobs to join vitals when there seems no long term direction.

"Vitals - a cool place to be"

Current Employee - Release Manager in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Current Employee - Release Manager in Lyndhurst, NJ

I have been working at Vitals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible organization still maintaining that "start up" feel

Cons

Rapid paced changing priorities

Advice to Management

Implement and Enterprise wide project portfolio for better organizational visibility

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Director of IT and Security
    Current Employee - Director of IT and Security

I have been working at Vitals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, fast paced company that gives employees a chance to work with new technologies. Vitals empowers employees to make a difference and encourages creativity and 'out of the box' thinking. If you're the type of individual that enjoys taking on challenges and wants to help in creating a culture collaboration and communication. Vitals is the place for you.

Cons

The challenges that Vitals face is no different than any organization growing at a rapid pace. Sometimes things and staff are taken for granted. Leaders need to know when to take the foot of the pedal and allow for one to take a breath. The management staff needs to demonstrate by example. There are still many entrenched silos that block collaboration and productivity.

Advice to Management

Promoting internally for senior management positions will demonstrate confidence in current staff and maintain continuity within the company.

"Great to their engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Vitals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vitals doesn't micro-manage its engineers, trusts their judgment, gives them a good team setup and light-touch management to produce some really great results. Also, no big egos - everyone works well together. Unlimited vacation, flexible time-off policy, excellent work-life balance.

Cons

E-suite people are a bit out of touch with what everyone else is doing/saying/thinking. We only get a "Here's how our company's doing" meeting once every 4 months or so. Also no matching on 401k.

Advice to Management

Get us a match on our 401k's already. And let us know what's happening - we shouldn't have to wait till company gossip gets to us to know whether or not we're doing well.

"Regional Account Executive"

I worked at Vitals full-time

Pros

The management is great! They give you a lot of autonomy to do your job.

Cons

The product development and sales teams seem like 2 separate companies at times.

Advice to Management

Put customers first.

"Think again"

I worked at Vitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO, snacks and gym. Most of the people in the other offices are easier to work with.

Cons

No 401k match, health benefits coverage bad.

Management is the worst I've seen. Top heavy senior management, who run in circles for what they call if its the same elt.

My manager dumped on me with no plan, coaching, everything was urgent. Didn't know how to manage, left because of him. Prioritize and align were not in his vocabulary. Didn't trust him.

No communication from the top-down to those who do the job. Duplicate efforts in every dept.

HR dept is unorganized and when I was there not effective. What's their value.
    Never knew who to go to.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring senior people and invest in those who do the work. Hire within. Coaching, mentoring, stock options and training help morale and show the emp that you care about them. As a manager, no one paid attention to our level.

HR and management needs to communicate better. Share more company-wide not just at Pulse. The fever events a waste of money, those who shared with me thought it had no value.

Left and never looked back in a much better place. Waste of a year.

"Company seems lost"

Pros

Good work life balance.

Cons

Little opportunity for growth