Vitals Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vitals CEO Heyward Donigan
Heyward Donigan

Pros
  • Employees are given lots of freedom to maintain work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Vitals actively supports its employees well-being by paying for gym membership and yoga classes (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • New CEO and upper management lacks knowledge in the digital arena, and is taking the company in the wrong direction (in 4 reviews)

• No 401k match, which is a major bummer (in 2 reviews)

"Company seems lost"

Pros

Good work life balance.

Cons

Little opportunity for growth

"Great times at Vitals"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Relaxed, inspiring, and happy people.

Cons

Meetings and communication would be better.

"Real potential, but-"

Pros

1) Very progressive startup feel with exceptional work-life balance (e.g., flexibility to work remote) and laid back work environment (casual attire and flexible hours).
    2) On the bleeding edge of burgeoning business space and fervent about implications therein with cost of healthcare (e.g., create competitive provider market). Compelling to say the least.
    3) Extremely high caliber individuals within engineering team that demonstrate willingness to collaborate and a passion for tech.

Cons

1) Lack of cohesion amongst the various office locations. Still very tribal and isolationist in nature.
    2) Chaos tends to be more the rule than the exception. Much of the proverbial "who's on first?" syndrome.
    3) Politics and siloing of expertise have tended to cause disruption with development and support initiatives.
    4) Not exactly a clear path of progression for career growth. That being said, Vitals is still a company that is in startup mode so this may change in the years ahead.

Advice to Management

1) LISTEN to your employees. Harvest ideas and input from these very talented constituents. You'll be surprised how much involvement of this nature yields positive morale.
    2) Vitals is not yet a publicly-traded corporation (yet); trying to foster a big corporate culture before the requisite growth will drive out talent and introduce more inefficiency.
    3) LISTEN to your customers instead of react to them. Give prospects a reason to want what Vitals offers.
    4) Show the employee population that you're sincerely interested in high tech.

"Enjoy working at Vitals"

I have been working at Vitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent amenities/perks - not top of the line but way better than companies I came from. Great work life balance and flexibility which I appreciate as a parent with kids. Energetic CEO who is passionate about our mission. Pretty exciting industry and opportunity to make a difference in healthcare in the U.S.

Cons

Hear a lot that sales are "coming soon" but mostly don't. Appears that some people take advantage of the system and there is some favoritism at the senior level. A lot of different locations makes communication challenging and inefficient. Not sure why we need so many offices.

Advice to Management

I'm pretty happy with the way things are going and where I'm at. Would be nice to have a 401k match!

"Nice place to work, esp. as an engineer"

I have been working at Vitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are smart, talented people who are really dedicated to working as a team. Engineering team can work from home or the office, option of NY office or NJ office, and lots of small things like bean bag chairs and snacks are nice. Agile working environment means good organization and planning. Most teams collaborate well with each other, and leadership is competent and moving us in the right direction, I think.

Cons

The higher-ups seem kind of out of touch with their employees. Yes, they show up to bowling night, but their big exciting announcements always seem to be about what they're doing and not what we're doing. No 401k match, which is a major bummer. Hiring in leadership positions always seems to come from outside, rather than within.

Advice to Management

Get working on 401k match, and add some time for Q&A to pulse meetings. Talking with > talking at.

"Smartest people dedicated to a singular, and lofty, mission!"

Current Employee - Sales in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Lyndhurst, NJ

I have been working at Vitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedication to mission with the lofty goal of enabling EVERYONE to shop for healthcare like an expert, strong financial backing, crazy bright talent, great leadership, great mix of industry expertise (technology, engineering, healthcare, data management and digital), strong competitive position

Cons

Vitals is in a very typical stage of culture conflict (startup to rapid growth), and all of the challenges that come with that. With a steep growth trajectory ahead, this is also a very common stage to be dealing with the push and pull of "earnings vs growth investment".

Advice to Management

The best companies manage to continue innovating despite the competing priority of massive market interest in today's solutions. Don't lose sight of the need to stay ahead of the market.

"Difficult Tenure at Promising Company"

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Vitals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare is an excellent industry in which to work and the recent funding provides a couple of years of additional runway. The enterprise engineering team in NYC and Tulsa are very progressive, working to build a modern Ruby stack enabled by an emerging DevOps culture that appreciates craftsmanship, mature decision making, and peer review.

Cons

Vitals lacks alignment across locations, divisions, and functional organizations and is a difficult and frequently political environment where everything is more challenging than it should be. There is a general lack of organizational harmony which is enabled by difficult personalities across all locations.

Advice to Management

Pursue organizational alignment at all cost by eliminating remaining distractions (UCHC, CMT, finders/widgets, data vending) and associated personnel, and forming a single Product Development organization. Fold the consumer organization into the much more capable, organized, and progressive enterprise organization--product, engineering, UX, and data--and eliminate project and middle management.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Lyndhurst, NJ

I have been working at Vitals (Less than a year)

Pros

After a long period of indecision we are in a better place than when I started. New Mission, Vision and Values, which are key to the success of a company. New office, big improvement.
    I believe that Sr. Mgt. is working on getting it right. It is a work in progress.

Cons

The word silo comes up, and though I see it, I believe that mgt. is working on a resolve.
    Time to stop sr. management positions and focus on promoting within. Career development, and training. Would like to see a 401K match, think it will come in due time. I knew it was a start up when I started, so I've been patient with the change.

Advice to Management

Keep the teams updated regularly, and clear concise messaging. Hold team meetings by department to include everyone at every level. All people are here for the greater good of the company, and that is for Vitals to thrive! I'm onboard and excited by our product, and the changes to come.

"Positive transition for amazing opportunity"

I have been working at Vitals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vitals has made meaningful adjustments over the last year as it has evolved its business strategy and execution plan. Like any early stage, high growth software company, change is inevitable and we have that going on here. What's unique and different however, is the thoughtful approach the executive team has taken to engage its staff and its markets to inform how Vitals will change.

Since arriving in late 2014, its been increasingly clear how unique this company's opportunity is and how well positioned it is to succeed. Vitals has work to do, but is solidly moving in the right direction and with a culture that empowers its people to make a difference.

Cons

Vitals is growing fast which necessitates more change to improve and scale its business model. That type of environment may not work for all people, but I would also suggest that those people are better off in blue-chip software companies.

Advice to Management

Keep progressing on narrowing the focus on priorities. Good work has been done, more work to do.

"Average"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Vitals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere. Encourages start-up vibe. Might get bonuses. Great work-life balance

Cons

Top heavy. Lots of management, not enough people to carry out promises. No room for career development or upward advancement. Ambition is discouraged

Advice to Management

Take a look at what actually needs to be accomplished and if there are enough resources to execute