Vitamin Shoppe Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Vitamin Shoppe CEO Colin Watts
Colin Watts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Terrific culture based on Health and Wellness, mutual respect and appreciation (in 31 reviews)

• You learn a lot about the health industry and meet a lot of people, although some are very difficult (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"H.E"

Current Employee - Health Enthusiast
    Current Employee - Health Enthusiast

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe part-time

Pros

Fun, lots of sample and get to learn about health and fitness everyday

Cons

Routine and in the end it is still Retail

2. "Assistant Store Manager"

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time

Pros

Excellent environment. The company is organized, thorough, honest and management is exceptional.

Cons

Stores are constantly fighting for more hours for part-time employees.

"Change is sometimes good, sometimes bad."

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being able to have a true impact on someone's everyday living! The reward of being passionate in helping others is beyond this world of greatness!

Cons

Corporate does not take care of veteran employees, will not take time to train vet employees to help grow in company, rather spend more money hiring someone outside of company instead of promoting within, poor LP structure for internal investigations, company is good at communicating with employees when company wants employee urgency but will not return the favor when employee wants to communicate with management. I loved my job until a year ago and now it's just so bad I can't take it anymore. The Slavery stops now. I'm so underpaid it's not even funny for the amount of work I dedicate myself to. I wish it didn't have to come to this, but management doesn't care about their employees and that's why their stocks are tanking! Take care of your valued employees just as much as you care about your valued customers!

Advice to Management

The reason why there are many turnovers...VALUE YOUR EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE DEDICATED MANY MANY YEARS TO THE COMPANY! Hire within and promote within not outside of the company! Give better raises to those who have earned it and not have to suck up to get it. Have a better incentive plan for key holders! Have key holders join growing leaders too not just ASM!

4. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe part-time

Pros

Great people. I learned a lot on the job about nutrition.

Cons

Not a lot of pay for the amount of hours worked.

Advice to Management

Higher pay please.

5. "Read all reviews of this company."

Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in New York, NY

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's full time work with benefits.

Cons

You must request personal and sick days off. This is time you have already worked! If you wake up with a fever that's just too bad, you are expected at work. I have been told to "Get To Work"! 1 half hour break is all you get for working full time and at times you are expeced to work then as well. If your store goal isn't met for the day, example, if you $100 shy of goal management expects you to buy something close to when the store closes to get as close to goal as possible. The company "Hoards good Health Enthusiasts" and hires Management Positions from the outside, don't expect a promotion if you come into Vitamin Shoppe as a Health Enthusiast. I know HE who have been with the company more that 7 years. I'm a 3 year HE. Always print out your pay stub and do the math. I am now taking photos of my time clock for refrence. I'm tall but sometimes my pay check is short. Oh the Auto Delivery service that is now available, if you don't make your personal quota of signups you are singled out in some no so nice ways. Don't expect a Gold Star for anything if you work for vitamin shoppe.

Advice to Management

Managers should NOT be allowed to alter anyone's punch in and punch out time. The District Managers are not nice to store employees at all. Taking our second computers away from us has increased customer wait time and the ability to punch in and out on time. Also if an employee has worked and earned personal and sick time that employee should be able to use it!

6. "The vit shoppe"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere and some good employees

Cons

Terrible pay, terrible leadership, bad customers

7. "Hope the turnaround works out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, culture, vibrant atmosphere, mission

Cons

decision by committee; some executives cannot relate well to real customers, too much reliance on consultants

Advice to Management

empower the smart people you've hired and who work there

8. "Director"

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time

Pros

VSI had a great work environment with excellent people and culture

Cons

None that I can think of

9. "Little regard for employee growth, and discrimination is prevalent yet passive."

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount, and price matching. (40 percent off private label, 20 percent third party)

Flexible hours generally speaking.

Some great co-workers, and some great regular customers.

Cons

Favoritism is played well throughout corporate, from SM'S, to DM's, and up. Corporate is completely out of touch with what happens in stores. Two out of three of my DM'S were condescending and took no notice of any input based upon experience with our stores specific customer basis. They do not understand the importance of establishing meaningful relationships and trust with customers. The products we sell can really harm or help people if not given proper direction on them, yet products are treated like selling clothing to people.

Advice to Management

One of the reasons I chose to work for the Vitamin Shoppe was because it was not like GNC'S selling culture and seemed to care about the customers more. This has changed. HR is close with DM'S so you can't make a complaint about a DM without the DM knowing about it. There should be a much stronger emphasis on internal growth. There are a few people I have know who have worked for the Vitamin Shoppe 5 plus years, with vast knowledge and experience and strong reputations with customers who were not even offered management positions when they became avalible, they were repeatedly passed over and never acknowledged. I can think of no other reason than they didn't fit the "DM'S" mold, and what I mean by that is that they were not "white" enough. Stop hiring John Doe off the street and paying them five more dollars an hour with no knowledge or experience, or giving them high positions over long term employees. Believe it or not. People are not replaceable.

10. "Manager"

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time

Pros

fast paced with opportunity to learn

Cons

Constant Turnover with reactive management