Vitamin Shoppe Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"They don't care about employees"

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to help people. Customers are great and appreciative. Get to learn a lot about supplements and herbs. Store level employees have morals.

Cons

If you have morals upper management will target you. Failing companies tend to do this. If you know they did wrong they will send LP instead of HR representatives to come make you say what they want you to say to get you fired even without any prior documentations or write ups. They are all puppets of the company.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing for the employees that have been loyal to you. Don't just fire people for knowing what you did was wrong and immoral.

"Health Enthusiast"

Former Employee - Health Enthusiast in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Health Enthusiast in New York, NY

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible
    Room for growth
    Efficient teaching tools
    Great hours

Cons

Only part-time in my experience

"Decent company; expects too much"

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time

Pros

I liked the focus on health, wellness, and helping people. That's where I got the most joy out of my time as a Keyholder. You are constantly learning and by the end of a year you will know a ton about supplements, vitamins, and their interactions with the body.

Cons

They expect you to be an all-star, hyper knowledgeable individual and subsequently not pay you for it.

Advice to Management

The Vitamin Shoppe expects more than the typical retail/customer service experience. Pay them accordingly and hire from within more.

"Health Enthusiast"

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe part-time

Pros

The job was relatively easy and for the most part.

Cons

Maintenance of the store and rude customers.

"Key Holder"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Douglasville, GA

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe part-time

Pros

Great products--- easy to sell. Fun staff- energetic with senses of humor and abilities to be very professional yet kind to customers. I learned so much about supplements and vitamins- but best of all - a chance to be the kind of worker that seems more like a friend than a typical salesperson. Rapport building was the joy of the job, and when you are able to focus on your clients health and fitness goals- the sales just happen- because your customers know you are helping them meet their goals.

Cons

The particular store I worked in - rarely received schedules that enabled me to have 2 consecutive days off- and I was only working part time.

Advice to Management

Try to give part time key holders better schedules- like let them close one night- and open next morning skip a day then 2 more close, then opens that week and they are done----rotate 2 key holders to have 2 weekends off per month- or at least 2 full days off consecutively. No one likes working every other day. No time for decent social life, in my opinion- although I understand most retail jobs face this challenge. When there is a changing schedule-not everyone will like it.

"Entry level, corporate, no growth"

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time

Pros

Easy work, business hours, informational

Cons

Districts are too big for one person so you are constantly micromanaged. Not much room to grow. Payroll hours get cut a lot and sales goals rise while the company is trying to be "competitive in prices". Bonuses are few and far in between.

Advice to Management

payroll hours! Stores are under staffed and not enough hours are given to ensure customer service and sales are met. Store manager gets over worked and being on salary eventually makes the same per hr as the assistant

"waste of time"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

no one is held accountable for their work so you can do what ever you want. general manager only cares about her tan and friends getting hired so be her friend and you have a job for life.

Cons

most educated person with experience in management and yet have to train people with no knowledge in the industry and less management experience to be my manager because the are buddy's with the general manager

Advice to Management

more respect towards people who make your bonus happen every month

"Good job"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun job, if you are into supplements that always helps. You are salaried at 45 hours a week and there is never to much going on.

Cons

When it comes to performing corrective actions it can be difficult. You give people too many chances and then your staff gets upset with you.

Advice to Management

Slow down with the change. There is a lot changing and it is making store managers edgy. They are the right changes, just a lot at once.

"A good opportunity to pick up new skills, but a monotonous and repetitive job."

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to help people with their helath and fitness goals is a rewarding experience. So many different things to learn from products to people.

Cons

Communication from the top down is inconsistent. While the company as a whole has tried to make it better that doesn't mean your boss is an effective communicator. The company is always finding ways to increase your workload. At times there is a slave master mentality. "Good is not good enough."

Advice to Management

Support initiatives with better resources. Hold upper management accountable to their jobs. Better employees and the "top talent" you want won't come work for you at minimum wage.

"It pays the bills....."

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time

Pros

The pay is nice. And there is a great discount at the store for the employees.

Cons

The work/life balance isn't so great. The mandatory overtime is good but it gets in the way of things outside of work.