Vitamin T Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Vitamin T CEO John Chuang
John Chuang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is also flexibility for employees which helps create a great work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Unlimited vacation, ELF Funds, Casual / Agency environment, Susie is AMAZING (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission Structure is terrible, so if you're in a market that isn't doing well, you won't make any good money (in 7 reviews)

• Can't think of any; my experience was very positive, albeit very short, as I was quickly converted from a contract to full-time hire (in 7 reviews)

"Off to a great start!"

Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've nearly completed my 2nd month with Vitamin T and am loving it so far. The training program was extensive, setting me up to hit the ground running upon completion. The team and my boss foster a collaborative, supportive environment and we have a ton of opportunity in our market. The company also does a ton in each of the communities it operates in as well, which is fun to be a part of. Vitamin T's approach to building business is rooted in the core values of the company, which makes my job easy as well!

Cons

Not really any cons to speak of so far. There has been some change in the sales strategy throughout the organization, but that happens to all companies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great, supportive work for your employees. Continue to listen to your top performers and equip them to be successful.

Jan 13, 2018 – President

THANK YOU for your awesome review! This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and I'm thrilled you're off to a great start. As you know, I sit in LA and would welcome any feedback as you progress... More

"Roll up your sleeves, and join the fun."

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am excited to be part of such a company. After helping a few martech startups get acquired by driving accounts up market, I took a break because I wanted to find a home where I could sell and still be used to various capacities. I had a few offers, but Vitamin Talent seemed to provide a new martech building opportunity, with tenured leadership known for taking risk to align itself with company goals. It's been eight weeks, and I am very impressed by what I have learned from the industry, but also by how much I still need to learn...which I love.

Culture: Fun, family oriented, professional. Everyone from the agents to the directors seem sharp, but also human. Usually it's either corporate or a mess, but this company seemed to find a nice balance of both.

Leadership: Wise and tenured. It's important to see that most of leadership are people that have been at the company for some time. This gives me the hope of one day I being able to help develop others.

Money $$$ - Come ready to build a book of business. But first come ready to learn the offering and industry. This means it might take a while, but done right will reap benefits long term from what I see around me.

Worklife Balance: For the first time in 3 years, I get to come home at a decent time. Incredible that this company actually lives out this value, and is profitable.

Cons

Things change a lot. Super fast too. This for me is not a con as it's the nature of the beast for people coming from startups. But I can see how it affects some people at the company.

We also have a new CEO. Based on his tenure, he seems to be very strategic towards growth, so I know there are probably going to be a ton of other changes. It's exciting and scary for most of the office. At the same time, now is the perfect time to experience redirectional growth within a company. This can be shakey at times, so trust and focus on the mission of leadership is important.

For people considering coming here, consider this a 6 year old startup within a larger company with a lot of changes constantly happening. Come with a committed mind-set to not only sell staffing but to help out in other ways to grow the firm. It's crucial at places like this. I am slowly making this my home, as I am starting to see how this type of sale is like planting seeds and waiting for them to grow. Because of this feature in this type of sale, the best advice I would give to someone considering joining is: Come with the attitude to want to be utilized in multiple ways based on previous experience and talents. Sell and build relationships, but also get involved in account development, marketing, and strategy. Help build the company, not just the sale. Holism should pave the way towards success at this company.

Advice to Management

I believe there is a push for this already, but just as a reminder. There are a lot of great accounts, with missing opportunity. From my understanding leadership is working now on focusing on a few accounts, and really growing them, instead of tons of accounts in small bits and pieces. I have seen other companies do this successfully and saw the profits increase, but also the employee focus and efficiency. In my humble opinion, the company is heading in the right direction by doing this. It may take a little bit of time to yield the desired results, but continue to push this initiative considering the constraints of the competitive market and success should come.

Also Martech is the key to propel the company into new heights. Every company is seeking to hit it's quarterly goals, and Martech allows the creation of demand to help them do that. For a staffing company this means that we no longer have to wait for the need, we can create it. Considering where other staffing companies are at, we can be considered pioneers in this area. This is the perfect time to really drive this aspect of the company to every one of our clients.

Nov 21, 2017 – President

THANK YOU! This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and I'm thrilled at your honesty, transparency and detail :) So glad to have you on the team! May your 8 weeks turn into 18 years like mine did... More

"Working with Vitamin T"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are a passionate team that really focuses on placing the right fit for both the company and the candidate. I enjoyed working with Julee and George. They kept me very well updated during the hiring process. I've used recruiters in the past who aren't even to the level Vitamin T is. It was a very smooth process and Julee and George were wonderful in keeping me updated during the steps from screening, interviewing and placement. I highly recommend Vitamin T to the creative professionals! George also pointed out a few items to me that I was unaware in which is to better me as a marketer and we were able to include those items into the new position!

Cons

I don't have any! They are great!

"Simply The Best"

Current Employee - Production Artist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All the agents and staff are amazing with taking care of you. If I have ever had a problem or concern, they are always on the ball to help me. And the best part, they will bust their butts to get you a job. I was in my new location for less then 2 weeks and they had be working by the next. Everyone is so friendly and fun. I recommend them highly.

Cons

I have no cons to mention.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Oct 16, 2017 – President

Yippee!! I'm Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and I'm super thankful for your review :) So glad you've had a terrific experience with our Dallas team - they are pretty wonderful! If there's ever... More

"Agent"

I worked at Vitamin T full-time

Pros

amazing culture, collaborative, competitive (in a good way)

Cons

create more of a career path for growth for recruiters and sales, teams seemed to be understaffed which creates a bit of chaos

Advice to Management

would love to see upper management more involved and a cap on time off that is still generous but doesn't allow people to take advantage. I kept feeling like I was being punished for other people on my team who were always taking tiem off and not in the office, when I wasnt ever reaping the benefits but just covering for them while they still got credit and money on stuff I was working on while they were out of office.

Sep 12, 2017 – President

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! I'm Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T (and since you worked here, I bet you expected this response!) I'd love to talk to you directly about your... More

"Pleasant Experience and Got Me a Really Cool Gig!"

Current Employee - User Experience Production Artist in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Production Artist in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice agency, people get back to you and give a real sense of care and consideration. Benefits & Perks offered are good.

Cons

Delays can happen, but thats not really on Vitamin T.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Jul 31, 2017 – President

YAY! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and can back up that we DO really care :) If there's anything more we can do to help you... More

"Atlanta BDM"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the other employees. VT is separate from Aquent, but we all sat in the same office. My direct manager was and still is the best manager I have ever worked for. The office is located in the historic Biltmore and it's in Atlanta proper. The salary and commission structure were very good and work seemed to come in quickly. I had some health issues and I think that's what determined my fate with VT and I really wish it hadn't. I can honestly say working for Vitamin T was one of the best career experiences I have had. The training was sporadic, but decent. On a personal note, they had monthly calls with the CEO of the company and everyone REALLY enjoyed them! (Myself included) I loved working for VT and if I could go back, I would. The culture and environment of Vitamin T and Aquent was very relaxed and fun. Work hard/Play hard.

Cons

When I was on my way out, they started a new type of training and I really wish that was in place when I was there. VT is unlike any creative staffing firm and therefore their model is very different than most, so I do think there needs to be more training when it comes to their process.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The company is fantastic and I hope the Atlanta branch stays around for a long time!!

Jun 26, 2017 – President

Thank you so much for your response! I'm Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, talking head for those monthly calls, and I appreciate your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed working here and thank you... More

"Company Driven By Sales and Metrics - Not Great for Recruiters"

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great training for new recruiters
    - had a support manager that took the time to invest in training, making themselves available and mentorship
    - collaborative work environment where people would be willing to help

Cons

- not much transparency from leadership, business objectives and why metrics were so rigid
    -unfair favoritism for employees on WFH/vacation policy, not consistent across the entire team
    - very sales driven, this is great company if you want to make money in Sales but have a cushion in your base salary, recruiters get the run around from Sales
    - unclear career growth opportunities and internal hires/fires are made hush so it comes as a surprise to all without any explanation
    - talked about holism, but it was not implemented by individual teams
    - base salary and bonus structure not the same from Recruiters and Sales which isn't very fair

Advice to Management

- be more transparent about your shifts and management and announce that
    - give sales and recruiting the same level of clout and authority, don't play favorites with one
    - explain your metrics and show why they have ROI
    - enact a PTO and WFH policy that everyone abides by not made up by individual market leads

Jun 26, 2017 – President

Hello there! Since you worked here, I'm sure you're not surprised to get a response from me here, and I'm disappointed (of course) to read your comments. I'd like to understand more about your... More

"Simply the best!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time

Pros

Amazing support and staff! They make finding the right fit for my unique skill set effortless and fun. I get benefits and am always finding great, professional clients to work with. Wish I would have found them earlier in my career.

Cons

There is not one downside!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 5, 2017 – President

Well, this is simply the BEST REVIEW I've read all day! This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and I'm super pleased we've been able to help you - and have FUN while doing it! If there's ever... More

"Great Place To Work, But Not Forever - Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO - AMAZING!
    Flexible work/life balance - they are extremely understanding of emergencies and illness. I love how my manager didn't make me feel guilty for needing to take time off. And I worked from home one day per week!
    Hawaii Beach House
    Relaxed dress code - I wore leggings and sneakers to work every day except when I had client meetings.
    Decent benefits
    Tuition Reimbursement of up to $8K per year

Cons

Vitamin T is EXTREMELY metrics and numbers driven... as expected because it's a staffing agency, right? WRONG! Vitamin T tracks how many connects you make with contacts you call and how many orders you bring in per week. Most staffing companies care about your activity numbers. Though both of these are important metrics to track, realistically, the expectations are stupid. I don't have control over who answers the phone when I call... I can only control how many people I reach out to. I can call the same person 5 times and never get an answer, but I don't get credit for that because that's not what they're holding me accountable for. Again... STUPID. I get the cause and effect of it where one breeds the results of the other, but you should hold people accountable for metrics they actually can control. I also think it's stupid to track FTEs and not gross profit. Why are you so focused on how many hours and people are out working instead of being more worried about how much money they're bringing the company? Again... stupid. I got put on a performance plan for FOUR WEEKS because I wasn't hitting 50 connects and putting in 5 orders per week. Not only was the performance plan STUPID, but FOUR WEEKS? That's it? They should've just fired me then because it's not possible for any sales person in this organization to be able to hit certain metrics in such a short amount of time with no leadership or direction. To ask your manager to help introduce you to contacts and old connections they have in their network and to be told that there isn't any in a metro city is just absurd. What was my activity you ask? Well... EXTREMELY high since the expectations were extremely unrealistic. Yet, was I ever praised for making 500 calls in a week? Nope. Just condemned for NOT bringing in 5 orders and connecting with 50 people. Talk about undervalued. It's a revolving door around here for employees because of management expectations. I've never been in a company that held you accountable for metrics they weren't trying to help you reach.

And let's not forget some other cons:

Commission Structure is terrible, so if you're in a market that isn't doing well, you won't make any good money.

Clique-y. It's all about friendships and relationships. Management will look out for you if you're their friend, but if you have no working or personal relationship with the manager, you can forget about them trying to help you. Privileges and incentives are given to friends of managers, not everyone else, so you can bet that you'll be promoted if you and the manager go out every Friday over the person who is actually the TOP performer on the team.

Management will make up lies about you in WRITING and send them to HR.

Managers who are in management shouldn't be. A lot of them use their own biased in the job that not only leads to neglect of employees, but a lack of investment in their growth.

Company is more focused on the quantity of EVERYTHING than the quality.

You will have meetings everyday talking about the same things. Your manager will ask what orders are coming in for that DAY, and you better have an answer ready. And if you don't have any to mention, he/she won't provide any suggestions or interject themselves in the process to help you hit your goals.

Tenure is more important than ability, skills and production. If you're new and not producing, you'll be fired before the person who's been there for 5 years and hasn't produced. And they'll put the worst possible people in management and senior positions to train and then ask questions as to why the market isn't performing. Well... your management choice has a lot to do with that, Vitamin T.

Most of the managers and senior level folks in the company input things in the system for the sake of having a number calculated, but won't ACTUALLY have done the work.

I have friends who still work for Vitamin T who have so many complaints about the managers and the expectations. My advice... if you're in sales and looking to be successful, Vitamin T isn't the place. Trust me.

Advice to Management

Change your sales processes. You wonder why the company is tanking? It's because you have lazy people working in sales who aren't hitting the phones and lazy people in management who don't want to take the initiative to help in professional development. And if it isn't about how to make money, why is FTEs more important than gross profit? Again... cause and effect, but FTEs won't make you money. GP will.

Mar 27, 2017 – President

Very disappointed to read this. This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T (likely you expected my response since you worked here!), and I genuinely wish you had reached out directly before you left... More