Vitamin T Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Vitamin T CEO John Chuang
John Chuang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is also flexibility for employees which helps create a great work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• For the creatives - they really are the place staffing agency on the planet (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission Structure is terrible, so if you're in a market that isn't doing well, you won't make any good money (in 7 reviews)

• Can't think of any; my experience was very positive, albeit very short, as I was quickly converted from a contract to full-time hire (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"They Made My Job Easier"

Current Employee - Hiring Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Hiring Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a hiring manager I used Vitamin T to place more than 40+ people and I can honestly say not one time did they miss the mark on who they presented. They provided quality screened candidates who knew about the potential job they were interviewing for and about the company. The biggest benefit to Vitamin T was that Julee Grupe (who I used to place talent) helped us attract much higher quality talent than we could have done on our own.

Really there are a million things I could say about the entire Dallas office, but if you are a hiring manager (or candidly even if you are a candidate) and need someone to make your job easier, not harder... then Vitamin T is the way to go.

Too often we see recruiter after recruiter just pushing tons of resume through. On average we had someone found, hired and ready to start within a day, maybe two. Impressive stuff.

Cons

I wouldn't really say there are any downsides to using Vitamin T. The only real thing is that you pay a small percentage to use their services when finding talent... but that is any recruitment shop. Their fees are par for the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You guys have talent finding and management down to a science.

Jan 26, 2017 – President

WOWZA!! This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and I LOVE that our Dallas team has helped you so much :) I'm totally biased (I am a huge fan of our Dallas team), so it's nice to see such a... More

"Atlanta BDM"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the other employees. VT is separate from Aquent, but we all sat in the same office. My direct manager was and still is the best manager I have ever worked for. The office is located in the historic Biltmore and it's in Atlanta proper. The salary and commission structure were very good and work seemed to come in quickly. I had some health issues and I think that's what determined my fate with VT and I really wish it hadn't. I can honestly say working for Vitamin T was one of the best career experiences I have had. The training was sporadic, but decent. On a personal note, they had monthly calls with the CEO of the company and everyone REALLY enjoyed them! (Myself included) I loved working for VT and if I could go back, I would. The culture and environment of Vitamin T and Aquent was very relaxed and fun. Work hard/Play hard.

Cons

When I was on my way out, they started a new type of training and I really wish that was in place when I was there. VT is unlike any creative staffing firm and therefore their model is very different than most, so I do think there needs to be more training when it comes to their process.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The company is fantastic and I hope the Atlanta branch stays around for a long time!!

Jun 26, 2017 – President

Thank you so much for your response! I'm Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, talking head for those monthly calls, and I appreciate your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed working here and thank you... More

"Simply the best!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time

Pros

Amazing support and staff! They make finding the right fit for my unique skill set effortless and fun. I get benefits and am always finding great, professional clients to work with. Wish I would have found them earlier in my career.

Cons

There is not one downside!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 5, 2017 – President

Well, this is simply the BEST REVIEW I've read all day! This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and I'm super pleased we've been able to help you - and have FUN while doing it! If there's ever... More

4. "Company Driven By Sales and Metrics - Not Great for Recruiters"

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great training for new recruiters
    - had a support manager that took the time to invest in training, making themselves available and mentorship
    - collaborative work environment where people would be willing to help

Cons

- not much transparency from leadership, business objectives and why metrics were so rigid
    -unfair favoritism for employees on WFH/vacation policy, not consistent across the entire team
    - very sales driven, this is great company if you want to make money in Sales but have a cushion in your base salary, recruiters get the run around from Sales
    - unclear career growth opportunities and internal hires/fires are made hush so it comes as a surprise to all without any explanation
    - talked about holism, but it was not implemented by individual teams
    - base salary and bonus structure not the same from Recruiters and Sales which isn't very fair

Advice to Management

- be more transparent about your shifts and management and announce that
    - give sales and recruiting the same level of clout and authority, don't play favorites with one
    - explain your metrics and show why they have ROI
    - enact a PTO and WFH policy that everyone abides by not made up by individual market leads

Jun 26, 2017 – President

Hello there! Since you worked here, I'm sure you're not surprised to get a response from me here, and I'm disappointed (of course) to read your comments. I'd like to understand more about your... More

"Darn Impressive Dallas!"

Former Employee - Hiring Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Hiring Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working with the Dallas Vitamin T team for several years at 2 different companies and they impress me every time! They’re awesome at vetting each project and have dug deep to find me some incredible talent. (They’ve bent over backwards and it’s resulted in perfect matches every time.) I feel like I know them all personally… I can call anyone at any time to get help or advice - they know what’s going on with anything and everything all the time - it’s kinda weird but whatever works! They’re currently filling 2 positions and there’s no doubt in my mind that the projects will be done beautifully.

Cons

Like some things, you get what you pay for. Fees are the necessary evil but the skill level I ask for has always been met with quality candidates.

Advice to Management

You’ve got a great group of people in Dallas. Keep sending me talent!

Mar 20, 2017 – President

LOVE THIS! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! I'm Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T. Our Dallas team is dynamite, and it's so nice to see them recognized here :) If... More

"Great Place To Work, But Not Forever - Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO - AMAZING!
    Flexible work/life balance - they are extremely understanding of emergencies and illness. I love how my manager didn't make me feel guilty for needing to take time off. And I worked from home one day per week!
    Hawaii Beach House
    Relaxed dress code - I wore leggings and sneakers to work every day except when I had client meetings.
    Decent benefits
    Tuition Reimbursement of up to $8K per year

Cons

Vitamin T is EXTREMELY metrics and numbers driven... as expected because it's a staffing agency, right? WRONG! Vitamin T tracks how many connects you make with contacts you call and how many orders you bring in per week. Most staffing companies care about your activity numbers. Though both of these are important metrics to track, realistically, the expectations are stupid. I don't have control over who answers the phone when I call... I can only control how many people I reach out to. I can call the same person 5 times and never get an answer, but I don't get credit for that because that's not what they're holding me accountable for. Again... STUPID. I get the cause and effect of it where one breeds the results of the other, but you should hold people accountable for metrics they actually can control. I also think it's stupid to track FTEs and not gross profit. Why are you so focused on how many hours and people are out working instead of being more worried about how much money they're bringing the company? Again... stupid. I got put on a performance plan for FOUR WEEKS because I wasn't hitting 50 connects and putting in 5 orders per week. Not only was the performance plan STUPID, but FOUR WEEKS? That's it? They should've just fired me then because it's not possible for any sales person in this organization to be able to hit certain metrics in such a short amount of time with no leadership or direction. To ask your manager to help introduce you to contacts and old connections they have in their network and to be told that there isn't any in a metro city is just absurd. What was my activity you ask? Well... EXTREMELY high since the expectations were extremely unrealistic. Yet, was I ever praised for making 500 calls in a week? Nope. Just condemned for NOT bringing in 5 orders and connecting with 50 people. Talk about undervalued. It's a revolving door around here for employees because of management expectations. I've never been in a company that held you accountable for metrics they weren't trying to help you reach.

And let's not forget some other cons:

Commission Structure is terrible, so if you're in a market that isn't doing well, you won't make any good money.

Clique-y. It's all about friendships and relationships. Management will look out for you if you're their friend, but if you have no working or personal relationship with the manager, you can forget about them trying to help you. Privileges and incentives are given to friends of managers, not everyone else, so you can bet that you'll be promoted if you and the manager go out every Friday over the person who is actually the TOP performer on the team.

Management will make up lies about you in WRITING and send them to HR.

Managers who are in management shouldn't be. A lot of them use their own biased in the job that not only leads to neglect of employees, but a lack of investment in their growth.

Company is more focused on the quantity of EVERYTHING than the quality.

You will have meetings everyday talking about the same things. Your manager will ask what orders are coming in for that DAY, and you better have an answer ready. And if you don't have any to mention, he/she won't provide any suggestions or interject themselves in the process to help you hit your goals.

Tenure is more important than ability, skills and production. If you're new and not producing, you'll be fired before the person who's been there for 5 years and hasn't produced. And they'll put the worst possible people in management and senior positions to train and then ask questions as to why the market isn't performing. Well... your management choice has a lot to do with that, Vitamin T.

Most of the managers and senior level folks in the company input things in the system for the sake of having a number calculated, but won't ACTUALLY have done the work.

I have friends who still work for Vitamin T who have so many complaints about the managers and the expectations. My advice... if you're in sales and looking to be successful, Vitamin T isn't the place. Trust me.

Advice to Management

Change your sales processes. You wonder why the company is tanking? It's because you have lazy people working in sales who aren't hitting the phones and lazy people in management who don't want to take the initiative to help in professional development. And if it isn't about how to make money, why is FTEs more important than gross profit? Again... cause and effect, but FTEs won't make you money. GP will.

Mar 27, 2017 – President

Very disappointed to read this. This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T (likely you expected my response since you worked here!), and I genuinely wish you had reached out directly before you left... More

"Marketing team AT Vitamin T? Don't do it."

I worked at Vitamin T full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, benefits package including 401k match

Cons

-Starting at the end of 2014 they decided to eliminate the majority of their marketing department. Talented individuals with fresh ideas and admirable work ethic were let go because the company decided that a marketing focus wasn't a top priority anymore. It is comical to see that team being built again knowing how many times they have done this over many years. My advice - if you work in marketing and have an offer with Vitamin T (Aquent), do not take the job. There are better opportunities out there that will invest in YOU and your professional growth.

-Senior management plays an active roll in everything marketing related and will act as a subject matter expert in areas where they shouldn't. If you're looking to bring a fresh approach to this company, this is not the place for you. That may last for a couple months but you'll eventually be an order taker.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and hire them to use their skills.

Jan 16, 2017 – President

This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and I'm very disappointed to read this. As a point of clarification, the Vitamin T marketing team has remained almost exactly the same size since... More

8. "Highly recommend for talent sourcing"

Current Employee - Communications and PR Leader in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Communications and PR Leader in San Diego, CA

Pros

Vitamin T has done a great job sourcing freelance work for my communications & PR consulting business. The team is professional and pleasant to work with. The opportunities they have presented to me have been high quality and have provided opportunities for me to expand my skillset, and the industries in which I work. The Vitamin T business model is attractive because you are a W2 employee with them. This eliminates the need to manage the business they provide from the back-end invoicing and accounting perspectives, and affords benefits such as discounts at office supply and computer equipment stores, as well as medical insurance, and 401k—all while remaining a freelance employee. I highly recommend working Vitamin T from both the freelance business and talent sourcing perspectives.

Cons

I cannot think of any at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Nov 27, 2016 – President

YAY! So glad to hear about your great experience with us! I'm Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, so I'm completely biased - but I also love the way we work to support freelancers :) If there's ever... More

"Agent"

Former Employee - Agent
    Former Employee - Agent

I worked at Vitamin T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- hawaii beach house
    - 5% 401K match
    - unlimited PTO
    - great stepping stone to get your foot in the door to one day be in a large agency or technology company

Cons

- no training for those who come from a different background (if you don't know what a developer does you're screwed)
    - you soon just become an "ORDER FILLER"
    - PTO is so lenient that many take advantage of this - set some regulations
    - LOTS of teams and locations DON'T GET ALONG and have hostile work environments
    - most people want to leave...
    - commission is a joke - if you're thinking you can make lucrative bonuses and commission, this isn't the agency for you (they will tell you this up front in the interview)
    - becomes stressful with clients reaching out to you at 8pm
    - not much work/life balance because you are expected to be on top of things at midnight

Advice to Management

- letting us know we are 1.8 million dollars in debt isn't how to get your employees hyped

Oct 26, 2016 – President

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and honestly, I really wish you'd reached out before deciding to leave :( For example, we actually have a LOT of training for people... More

"Vitamin T - Switching Roles"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vitamin T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started off with VT in June 2015 on the agent side (working solely with talent) in their NYC location. In September 2016 I was planning on moving to San Diego and we just so happen to have an office in SD! I was able to transfer within the company and am now on the Business Development side. I am very fortunate that my company wanted to consider me for the transfer and made the transition very seamless.

Cons

Structure can be a bit different in terms of office/location.

Sep 21, 2016 – President

SO GLAD you are staying with us :) I won't share your name here, but I DO know who you are and you are going to rock it in San Diego! That is a super team and you will be a super addition. Thanks for... More